Perlman and Dr. Tom Knew in may when we were going to the big ten

I would like to see what your honest opinion is of what potential drawbacks might have been that Delaney had to convince the presidents to overlook in this whole process. I know what I think and based on this thread I have far fewer that I think of than others it appears :)

Honestly? Nebraska is by itself a tiny TV market. Our population is under two million, so delivering eyeballs to TV sets isn't going to happen just via our home population.

Geographically we're an outlier. We increase travel budgets big-time, and the impact of that will be felt most by the programs that can least afford it – tennis, track, golf, bowling, etc.

Academically we enter at the bottom of the Big Ten (I believe). Even before the AAU boot we were trailing most, if not all Big Ten schools. The mitigating factor of this is that we are currently in the midst of the largest academic growth program to his this school in about 40 years.

Speaking specifically of football, we've just come off our worst decade in the last 50 years. We have a coach who's been known to go ballistic on the sidelines and we've lost some high-profile games in the last couple of years, in rather embarrassing fashion. This could be a detriment to the conference's image.

Now, the mitigating factors of those concerns are:

We are a national TV brand. We've got a bazillion fans across the country through the diaspora of our people to better climes. Only us fools stay here in the heat and cold all year. Those former Nebraskans and their family tend to stay loyal to the Huskers, and thus you have very large groups across the country – in every state – of "Georgians for Nebraska" or "Arizonans for Nebraska" and the like. Larger states, or states with larger populations, have regional groups like "North Texans for Nebraska" to which my cousin belonged when he lived down in Dallas. We have a history, both long-term and recent, of high TV ratings. That's a huge attraction to the BTN.

We are a geographic outlier, but so would anyone else be besides Notre Dame. Missouri wouldn't be, but they fall below Nebraska in every other metric, and thus were not chosen. Delany's comments during the presser introducing Nebraska that "The Big Ten is not for every school, and every school is not a good fit for the Big Ten" was pointed at two schools in my opinion – Missouri and Texas, both of whom flirted with membership, and (at least in Missouri's case) were turned down. I don’t know how deeply Texas got into the process of flirting with the Big Ten, but I think it wasn't far at all.

Academically we lag behind, but look no further than Penn State for an example of how quickly that can turn around. Within a decade PSU was in the thick of Big Ten academic rankings, and there's very little reason to believe Nebraska cannot make such a leap. The benefit to Nebraska of AAU membership was more prestige than practical use. We'll gain more from CIC membership than we ever did from AAU membership.

As for our football team, we have as good of a chance of returning to perennial top ten rankings as anyone. We have a sturdy, loyal fan base who have proven through the worst of times that they are willing not only to continue to sell out the stadium, but to buy Husker gear. That steady income, along with solid, long-term football experience throughout the program, means that although we've been down, we should (and I think will) return to prominence. Nebraska is not like Missouri, who can trace most of their success to one coach (Pinkel), or Kansas (Mangino). Once those coaches go, weaker programs tend to falter. I fully expect Missouri to take a step or two back once Pinkel moves on or retires. Nebraska has the foundation to find the right coach and reload. Look no further than Kansas for a program that cannot do this. Cincinnati is another example – once Brian Kelly left, suddenly they've returned to earth.

There are other issues, like our perennial weakness in basketball, but football is the main force in college athletics, and Nebraska is one of the pillars of the game. That makes up for deficiencies in basketball.

Now that was a well thought out responce and frankly more of one than I ever expected. Thing is we all have issues, just some fan bases and writers are more able to take off the fan glasses. I commend you.

Now that was a well thought out responce and frankly more of one than I ever expected. Thing is we all have issues, just some fan bases and writers are more able to take off the fan glasses. I commend you.

We're mostly realists here at Nebraska. Sure we drink the kool-aid sometimes, but that's what fans do. But we went though an awful stretch in the 00s, and it taught most of us to think critically about our team and not just be blind homers like a lot of us were in the 90s when we just smooshed everyone. Honestly, there are about ten people here who could have written that rundown (and another 20-30 who could have written it much more succinctly :D ).

Good lord, enough! Let's let it go. Come to Lincoln, we'll have a beer and talk football, biggie. Deal? :cheers

Is that open to everyone? :)

Absolutely.

Too bad I don't hang around Lincoln all that much when I am out in Nebraska. I am usually in Omaha or points west of Lincoln.

I have found this to be true about most Nebraska fans.

Outside of Notre Dame - I don't see anyone that would have been a better fit for the Big10 than Nebraska. And ND WILL be a member of the B1G within the next decade. ND plays Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue. Not a single one of those teams will be willing to play ND once B1G goes to a 9 game conference schedule. They will slowly lose their PAC12 games as the top tier teams they usually play in that conference (USC/Stanford) lose interest due to the tough conference championship game now on the horizon. (not to mention the overall strengthening of that conference). They won't be playing SEC teams as the SEC will migrate to a 9 game schedule to keep up with the Big10. Lastly, the Big12 will implode shortly, and ND will be scrambling for a spot. That leaves ND either playing a mixture of a WAC/Big8/Academy schedule - or giving up independence for the B1G.

So...IMO, getting Nebraska on board is a single phase of a multi-year expansion. Getting Nebraska on board not only brings a premier program into the Big10, but also sets things in motion for ND to join the conference. This is far from over. I wouldn't judge the addition of Nebraska as a single event, because it's just one of many to come. You can even see it in the branding changes for the conference. They aren't settled yet. Wait 5-10 years, then judge the addition of Nebraska. I think you'll be happy with the decision.

• Fire 1

We are a national TV brand. We've got a bazillion fans across the country through the diaspora of our people to better climes. Only us fools stay here in the heat and cold all year. Those former Nebraskans and their family tend to stay loyal to the Huskers, and thus you have very large groups across the country – in every state – of "Georgians for Nebraska" or "Arizonans for Nebraska" and the like. Larger states, or states with larger populations, have regional groups like "North Texans for Nebraska" to which my cousin belonged when he lived down in Dallas. We have a history, both long-term and recent, of high TV ratings. That's a huge attraction to the BTN.

I think what sets the Nebraska fanbase apart from many school is that the people of the state cheer for the team more than for many schools. Many schools have fanbases that are mostly made up of alums, with some secondary interest from "fans" in the home state. Nebraska has a bigger and more passionate following from these non alum fans who either live in Nebraska or have a connection to the state.

I think what sets the Nebraska fanbase apart from many school is that the people of the state cheer for the team more than for many schools. Many schools have fanbases that are mostly made up of alums, with some secondary interest from "fans" in the home state. Nebraska has a bigger and more passionate following from these non alum fans who either live in Nebraska or have a connection to the state.

You are absolutely correct. There are tons of Nebraskans who never attended UNL who are die-hard fans.

You are absolutely correct. There are tons of Nebraskans who never attended UNL who are die-hard fans.

What has two thumbs, didn't attend UNL and is a die-hard Husker fan?

THIS GUY!!

Any thoughts as to why that is? Probably a variety of factors in no particular order:

1) Tradition (always helps if you have history)

2) No other major sports in the state to cheer for

3) State pride (is there something that makes Nebraskan's more proud of their state compared to other states?)

4) Football is king. This is probably a chicken or an egg argument. Is football king in Nebraska because of the success of the Huskers, or is are the huskers partially successful because football is king?

Any thoughts as to why that is? Probably a variety of factors in no particular order:

3) State pride (is there something that makes Nebraskan's more proud of their state compared to other states?)

4) Football is king. This is probably a chicken or an egg argument. Is football king in Nebraska because of the success of the Huskers, or is are the huskers partially successful because football is king?

It's hard to say. The easy answer is that everybody loves a winner, but we weren't winners in 1962 when our sellout streak started. I'm sure the success of Devaney and Osborne over three decades greatly aided the current situation, though.

I think football appeals on a broad level to the folks who built this state. When Lewis and Clark came through here they called this area "The Great American Desert." It's a tough place to live – too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, barely any decent spring or fall, the soil is clay and difficult to make produce, there were (at the time) very few trees, and in general life was hard. My grandparents were poor as dirt, and I'm betting most everyone here has similar stories from their grandparents. That toughness is ingrained in the older generations from which us latter-day folks take our cues, and football is a good reflection of that culture. Probably if we were a colder-climate state we'd have embraced hockey more than we do (but hockey is rapidly gaining ground here, too).

There's also the lack of population, which means no other competing sports.

Contrast Nebraska with Missouri and Missouri has a better climate, more scenery, a much larger population, way more things to do, which probably leads to more distractions and less focus on your flagship school.

Outside of Notre Dame - I don't see anyone that would have been a better fit for the Big10 than Nebraska. And ND WILL be a member of the B1G within the next decade. ND plays Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue. Not a single one of those teams will be willing to play ND once B1G goes to a 9 game conference schedule. They will slowly lose their PAC12 games as the top tier teams they usually play in that conference (USC/Stanford) lose interest due to the tough conference championship game now on the horizon. (not to mention the overall strengthening of that conference). They won't be playing SEC teams as the SEC will migrate to a 9 game schedule to keep up with the Big10. Lastly, the Big12 will implode shortly, and ND will be scrambling for a spot. That leaves ND either playing a mixture of a WAC/Big8/Academy schedule - or giving up independence for the B1G.

So...IMO, getting Nebraska on board is a single phase of a multi-year expansion. Getting Nebraska on board not only brings a premier program into the Big10, but also sets things in motion for ND to join the conference. This is far from over. I wouldn't judge the addition of Nebraska as a single event, because it's just one of many to come. You can even see it in the branding changes for the conference. They aren't settled yet. Wait 5-10 years, then judge the addition of Nebraska. I think you'll be happy with the decision.

I +1'd this. Definitely agree, word for word.

It's hard to say. The easy answer is that everybody loves a winner, but we weren't winners in 1962 when our sellout streak started. I'm sure the success of Devaney and Osborne over three decades greatly aided the current situation, though.

I think football appeals on a broad level to the folks who built this state. When Lewis and Clark came through here they called this area "The Great American Desert." It's a tough place to live – too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, barely any decent spring or fall, the soil is clay and difficult to make produce, there were (at the time) very few trees, and in general life was hard. My grandparents were poor as dirt, and I'm betting most everyone here has similar stories from their grandparents. That toughness is ingrained in the older generations from which us latter-day folks take our cues, and football is a good reflection of that culture. Probably if we were a colder-climate state we'd have embraced hockey more than we do (but hockey is rapidly gaining ground here, too).

There's also the lack of population, which means no other competing sports.

Contrast Nebraska with Missouri and Missouri has a better climate, more scenery, a much larger population, way more things to do, which probably leads to more distractions and less focus on your flagship school.

I agree with this and probably have a unique perspective. I grew up in Nebraska, but have lived in MO for 12+ years now. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but people around here love their baseball. There definately isn't the widescale level of passion around the flagship school's football team that I saw growing up in Nebraska. I know hunting is popular in Nebraska, but deer hunting is a huge thing here that IMHO also impacts ticket sales in the fall. For a lot of people (myself not included), it trumps going to a game.

I didn't go to UNL - but I grew up in Nebraska. That makes me a Husker regardless of where my degree came from. It's almost a responsibilty (and privilage) of every Nebraska native to be a fan.

Also...It's an obligation of my Missouri native wife to be a fan as well. She has no choice, and if she doesn't like it she can pack her sh!t up.