Perlman and Dr. Tom Knew in may when we were going to the big ten

Does anyone know what the difference in subscriber revenue is for those of us out of the "footprint" of B1G? I know I pay $5 a month for BTN and a couple other worthless sports channels to make sure I have it.

I wonder if adding Omaha/Lincoln's 300k subscribers at a negotiated .70 cents a piece (per month - just guessing here) outweighs the million or so Nebraska fans that subscribe out of the footprint at a premium.

Sure, it's nice to get that local fan base and get BTN on every TV set, but it's probably as important, if not more important to have that national draw and get those out of state subscribers paying the premium price.

I'm assuming there is a major disparity between what my cable company in Kansas City pays for BTN, than what the local cable provider in Nebraska has to pay for it. I could be wrong though.

KCHusker_Chris, you are correct. Out-of-footprint teams pay less, as the BTN would be on upper tiers and aren't required to be on the lower tiers.

Also, the Big Ten did communicate by their actions that having a national draw was more important than expanding the local footprint. That may change now that they have four national brands, and two of the top four most valuable football programs (per Forbes). The blogger Frank the Tank illustrates this point with more articulation than I have at this link here.

An additional blogpost that looks at local footprint vs. advertising and the revelation that Nebraska isn't chopped liver is here.

Frank's May 10th hypothesis of Nebraska, Mizzou, and Rutgers (hey--he's batting .333), is here.

Of note from Frank's April 19th blog:

(3) If the Big Ten wants to make a ton of TV money, it will invite Nebraska – I’ve been increasingly become more and more supportive of Nebraska joining the Big Ten lately and Patrick’s analysis completely sealed it. Nebraska’s small market be damned – the Husker fan base is as rabid as any other in the country and they will tune in anytime, anywhere. (If you were wondering, the photo at the top of this post is evidence of how Nebraska fans completely took over South Bend a few years ago when they played Notre Dame.) In fact, Patrick’s figures mean that we should remove Nebraska from the realm of “Well, they might be coming instead of Missouri” or “They’re a good back-up if Notre Dame doesn’t want to join” and put the Cornhuskers into the “lock” category instead. I will now officially be shocked if Big Ten expansion occurs without Nebraska involved.

Lots of good work, good blog to follow IMO.

That seems like a little bit of a weird way to look at it. Where do you think the B10 ccg will be on the list this year? Wont matter if Nebraska is in it or not. As for the bowls, lots of people watch them even if they are not fans of either team, I think what day it falls on, weather they are on the road for the holidays, so on and so forth matters. I know I have watched many a bowl game when I had no horse in the race. If the B12 had a ccg this year, I would watch if I was able, and it doesnt have anything to do with what schools are playing.

Nebraska does bring a tv draw and I agree with Biggie, they also bring some baggage, but what team does'nt?

What baggage does Nebraska bring? A program likely falling under severe NCAA penalties? A program reeling from four years of THE WRONG coach, not to mention their own NCAA sanctions? Those are the Big Ten's two flagship programs, Ohio State and Michigan. Penn State's last ten years have been marginally better than Nebraska's, and that's during two major coaching upheavals over here. Wiscy has flirted with success but has yet to break through, Iowa is about the same, and the remainder of the Big Ten has been mediocre - nothing you wouldn't see in any other conference.

Nebraska doesn't walk into the Big Ten taking a back seat to anyone. We'll be respectful of the conference and the fans, but if anyone thinks we're coming in as something other than a top program, they're sorely mistaken.

I said drawbacks not baggage. The main drawback with Nebraska is nobody lives there. It doesn't expand the Big Ten footprint and it doesn't add new recruiting areas. Penn State did both of these things. And yes, Nebraska lowers the academic profile of the conference. Penn State was able to improve by boosting its profile on the east coast and attracting better candidates. I don't see the same kind of room for growth with Nebraska, again due to its lack of population. We will have to wait 15 years to find out.

Historically for football Nebraska is a huge get for the Big 10 but going forward it doesn't expand the BTN like it would in other markets. Omaha and Lincoln aren't exactly huge markets to expand into.

Do you really think your conference acquired Nebraska so we would deliver the Omaha and Lincoln markets? We're a national draw, man.

THIS.

And remember that Nebraska routinely delivered better television ratings that Notre Dame or ANY other viable B1G candidate (read: not Texas). Notre Dame's best game (against USC) was barely above our season average--and that's with Nebraska having one hand tied behind its back thanks to the s****y Big XII media deals with ABC/ESPN and partial national coverage with no reverse mirror.

When Nebraska was on, they delivered. The OU/NU and UT/NU title games were some of the highest-rated Saturday night games, ever--notice the common denominator.

Nebraska fans are some of the most passionate in the nation--where else was there a sellout streak for a women's volleyball program? Where else has collegiate baseball flirted with being revenue generating north of 36' 30"? Where else would a school nab over 300k PPV subscriptions at $39.99 each to watch their football team beat up Sister Mary Immaculate of the Blind on the football field--four times in one season!?

Penn State does none of these things. All they brought to the B1G was an expanded local footprint that could claim Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. And remember--the 80s and early 90s of college conference affiliation TV held a huge premium on local footprint--that's why seven of the Big 8 salivated over adding SWC refugees to the conference--Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.

Penn State had no clout, a tainted NC, and little else to show for their program. 95% of their success has come since they were brought in to the B1G, both academically (look at research grant money and how it's multiplied since joining the B1G) and athletically.

All Penn State does is sell more football tickets every game than Nebraska.

That seems like a little bit of a weird way to look at it. Where do you think the B10 ccg will be on the list this year? Wont matter if Nebraska is in it or not. As for the bowls, lots of people watch them even if they are not fans of either team, I think what day it falls on, weather they are on the road for the holidays, so on and so forth matters. I know I have watched many a bowl game when I had no horse in the race. If the B12 had a ccg this year, I would watch if I was able, and it doesnt have anything to do with what schools are playing.

Nebraska does bring a tv draw and I agree with Biggie, they also bring some baggage, but what team does'nt?

What baggage does Nebraska bring? A program likely falling under severe NCAA penalties? A program reeling from four years of THE WRONG coach, not to mention their own NCAA sanctions? Those are the Big Ten's two flagship programs, Ohio State and Michigan. Penn State's last ten years have been marginally better than Nebraska's, and that's during two major coaching upheavals over here. Wiscy has flirted with success but has yet to break through, Iowa is about the same, and the remainder of the Big Ten has been mediocre - nothing you wouldn't see in any other conference.

Nebraska doesn't walk into the Big Ten taking a back seat to anyone. We'll be respectful of the conference and the fans, but if anyone thinks we're coming in as something other than a top program, they're sorely mistaken.

I said drawbacks not baggage. The main drawback with Nebraska is nobody lives there. It doesn't expand the Big Ten footprint and it doesn't add new recruiting areas. Penn State did both of these things. And yes, Nebraska lowers the academic profile of the conference. Penn State was able to improve by boosting its profile on the east coast and attracting better candidates. I don't see the same kind of room for growth with Nebraska, again due to its lack of population. We will have to wait 15 years to find out.

He didn't quote you, he quoted Big10.

The only thing population will prevent Nebraska from having is an enrollment of 55k (Ohio State). You can say that increasing the population increases the number of smart kids (and since rankings are determined mainly based on the top 5% of your students that certainly helps) - but it also increases the number of idiots 10-1. Rankings rarely look at a school in it's entirety. Competition is minimal for the top students in Nebraska. OSU Has CW, Wooster, Denison, Kenyon, Miami, Oberlin, Ohio Northern, Xavier, Dayton

As for room for growth? I'm guessing some of those higher ranked B1G schools will start to fall back towards Nebraska. Funding is key, and when you have Ohio (8 billion) and Pennsylvania (5 billion) and other states with their massive budget shortfalls those public institutions are going to be taking some huge cuts in the coming years.

UNL has a reach that encompasses KC, St. Louis, Des Moines, etc. If you are looking for your students out the back door of your institution my guess is the Detroit public schools would not be the first place Michigan really wants to look - even though Detroit provides more population to Michigan than half the state of Nebraska (Detroit is half the size it was 60 years ago). Imagine what Nebraska would look like if half the state's population of 1.8 million (coincidently the same size of Detroit in 1950) left over the next 60 years. Imagine Nebraska at 700k. That's what the University of Michigan is coming to terms with. It's what a number of those rust belt colleges are having to come to terms with.

Historically for football Nebraska is a huge get for the Big 10 but going forward it doesn't expand the BTN like it would in other markets. Omaha and Lincoln aren't exactly huge markets to expand into.

Do you really think your conference acquired Nebraska so we would deliver the Omaha and Lincoln markets? We're a national draw, man.

THIS.

And remember that Nebraska routinely delivered better television ratings that Notre Dame or ANY other viable B1G candidate (read: not Texas). Notre Dame's best game (against USC) was barely above our season average--and that's with Nebraska having one hand tied behind its back thanks to the s****y Big XII media deals with ABC/ESPN and partial national coverage with no reverse mirror.

When Nebraska was on, they delivered. The OU/NU and UT/NU title games were some of the highest-rated Saturday night games, ever--notice the common denominator.

Nebraska fans are some of the most passionate in the nation--where else was there a sellout streak for a women's volleyball program? Where else has collegiate baseball flirted with being revenue generating north of 36' 30"? Where else would a school nab over 300k PPV subscriptions at $39.99 each to watch their football team beat up Sister Mary Immaculate of the Blind on the football field--four times in one season!?

Penn State does none of these things. All they brought to the B1G was an expanded local footprint that could claim Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. And remember--the 80s and early 90s of college conference affiliation TV held a huge premium on local footprint--that's why seven of the Big 8 salivated over adding SWC refugees to the conference--Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.

Penn State had no clout, a tainted NC, and little else to show for their program. 95% of their success has come since they were brought in to the B1G, both academically (look at research grant money and how it's multiplied since joining the B1G) and athletically.

All Penn State does is sell more football tickets every game than Nebraska.

You'd think with the millions in extra BTN revenue, all those extra seats they sell, the millions and millions of extra people in the state of Pennsylvania - they'd have a Nebraska by a litte more than a million in proffit.

When you look at Nebraska's current situation - you have to be worried if you're a B1G team. Talk about doing a lot with just a little. Nebraska is less than 15% the size of Pennsylvania, yet we continue to generate revenues nearly equal to Penn State. A little BTN money, a stadium expansion...look out.

• Fire 1

The only thing population will prevent Nebraska from having is an enrollment of 55k (Ohio State). You can say that increasing the population increases the number of smart kids (and since rankings are determined mainly based on the top 5% of your students that certainly helps) - but it also increases the number of idiots 10-1. Rankings rarely look at a school in it's entirety. Competition is minimal for the top students in Nebraska. OSU Has CW, Wooster, Denison, Kenyon, Miami, Oberlin, Ohio Northern, Xavier, Dayton

As for room for growth? I'm guessing some of those higher ranked B1G schools will start to fall back towards Nebraska. Funding is key, and when you have Ohio (8 billion) and Pennsylvania (5 billion) and other states with their massive budget shortfalls those public institutions are going to be taking some huge cuts in the coming years.

UNL has a reach that encompasses KC, St. Louis, Des Moines, etc. If you are looking for your students out the back door of your institution my guess is the Detroit public schools would not be the first place Michigan really wants to look - even though Detroit provides more population to Michigan than half the state of Nebraska (Detroit is half the size it was 60 years ago). Imagine what Nebraska would look like if half the state's population of 1.8 million (coincidently the same size of Detroit in 1950) left over the next 60 years. Imagine Nebraska at 700k. That's what the University of Michigan is coming to terms with. It's what a number of those rust belt colleges are having to come to terms with.

I have my doubts but I wish you well. In 15 years you will be a wise man or looking for new excuses. Hopefully its the wise man.

Well you all had to expand you stadium, had to be taught how the B10 recruits and the rules they self impose, got dropped from the AAU. Sounds like baggage to me. Sorry if that word offends, I admit it may not be the best choice of words.

As for OH being this great state or program, well we know about the program now dont we. As for the state, it's been a few years ago now, but they used to have the highest rate of child molesters in the US. I dont think us midwest schools need to try and copy OH in anything!!

I have my doubts but I wish you well. In 15 years you will be a wise man or looking for new excuses. Hopefully its the wise man.

Here's the thing - you're not the arbiter of our self-esteem. Whether you approve or disapprove, like or don't like, appreciate or don't appreciate, respect or disrespect Nebraska doesn't matter one bit. Whether you think Nebraska is a quality program or a good school or a "get" or whatever term you want to use is irrelevant. Your appreciation for our school doesn't make us like Nebraska more, or respect it more, or root for it more.

We've taken a stab at dispelling some of the myths you present, but frankly, we don't care if you believe us or not. The fact is that Nebraska is on par with the very best the Big Ten has to offer, and will only get better over time. I'm done trying to explain that to you. Take it or leave it.

• Fire 2

Here's the thing - you're not the arbiter of our self-esteem. Whether you approve or disapprove, like or don't like, appreciate or don't appreciate, respect or disrespect Nebraska doesn't matter one bit. Whether you think Nebraska is a quality program or a good school or a "get" or whatever term you want to use is irrelevant. Your appreciation for our school doesn't make us like Nebraska more, or respect it more, or root for it more.

We've taken a stab at dispelling some of the myths you present, but frankly, we don't care if you believe us or not. The fact is that Nebraska is on par with the very best the Big Ten has to offer, and will only get better over time. I'm done trying to explain that to you. Take it or leave it.

There's a difference between loving your school and being rational about its strong points and weak points. I'm sorry you have such a problem with that.

• Fire 1

There's a difference between loving your school and being rational about its strong points and weak points. I'm sorry you have such a problem with that.

And how did you become the expert on Nebraska's strong and weak points? I know this school inside and out. I know where our strengths lie and our weaknesses. The fact that I'm dispelling BS myths you're proposing doesn't in any way mean that I, or any other Husker fan posting here, doesn't know what's wrong with this school, this football program, this basketball, baseball, volleyball, track, bowling, and softball team. When it comes to Nebraska Sports, you're the neophyte here, not us. If you want to know where our weaknesses lie, ask us. But don't be so arrogant as to presue to tell us. You don't know jack about this team, this program or this school like we do.

• Fire 1

Well you all had to expand you stadium, had to be taught how the B10 recruits and the rules they self impose, got dropped from the AAU. Sounds like baggage to me. Sorry if that word offends, I admit it may not be the best choice of words.

What the hell are you even talking about? Seriously. You don't make sense, and you're all over the place in trying to throw dirt. Nebraska was talking about expansion before the Big 10. We'll continue to recruit the way we have. As for the rules the Big 10 self imposes.... well, 2 of the flagship programs are going to be on probation in a matter of months. Doesn't sound like there's much "self imposing" going on there. And the AAU thing is a joke.

OSU Has CW, Wooster, Denison, Kenyon, Miami, Oberlin, Ohio Northern, Xavier, Dayton

Just wondering how you complied that list. Not that it means anything in this thread.

Nebraska will be fine in the Big 10 and will compete for the top of the conference most years in football. It will be interesting if their recruiting footprint will change over the years.

And how did you become the expert on Nebraska's strong and weak points? I know this school inside and out. I know where our strengths lie and our weaknesses. The fact that I'm dispelling BS myths you're proposing doesn't in any way mean that I, or any other Husker fan posting here, doesn't know what's wrong with this school, this football program, this basketball, baseball, volleyball, track, bowling, and softball team. When it comes to Nebraska Sports, you're the neophyte here, not us. If you want to know where our weaknesses lie, ask us. But don't be so arrogant as to presue to tell us. You don't know jack about this team, this program or this school like we do.

I've tried to be respectful and you have been anything but. Would you gladly defer to me on all thing Big Ten related? By your reasoning it seems like the proper thing to do, with you being the Big Ten neophyte and all. I would never ask for that. I'm not as arrogant as you to think I know it all.

Since you're the expert, why don't you pretend you're Jim Delany and give me all the potential "drawbacks" of inviting Nebraska. I'm curious to see if you can do it. I'd ask for the positives but I don't want to wade through 5 pages.

this +1.