Perlman and Dr. Tom Knew in may when we were going to the big ten

Historically for football Nebraska is a huge get for the Big 10 but going forward it doesn't expand the BTN like it would in other markets. Omaha and Lincoln aren't exactly huge markets to expand into.

Do you really think your conference acquired Nebraska so we would deliver the Omaha and Lincoln markets? We're a national draw, man.

Where did I say Nebraska isn't a National draw? The conference makes a lot more money with the BTN and expanding it into larger population bases. There are other reasons than TV market share in play for the overall decision to add Nebraska into the Big 10. If they were going on market share, they would have added a school like Rutgers.

That seems like a little bit of a weird way to look at it. Where do you think the B10 ccg will be on the list this year? Wont matter if Nebraska is in it or not. As for the bowls, lots of people watch them even if they are not fans of either team, I think what day it falls on, weather they are on the road for the holidays, so on and so forth matters. I know I have watched many a bowl game when I had no horse in the race. If the B12 had a ccg this year, I would watch if I was able, and it doesnt have anything to do with what schools are playing.

Nebraska does bring a tv draw and I agree with Biggie, they also bring some baggage, but what team does'nt?

What baggage does Nebraska bring? A program likely falling under severe NCAA penalties? A program reeling from four years of THE WRONG coach, not to mention their own NCAA sanctions? Those are the Big Ten's two flagship programs, Ohio State and Michigan. Penn State's last ten years have been marginally better than Nebraska's, and that's during two major coaching upheavals over here. Wiscy has flirted with success but has yet to break through, Iowa is about the same, and the remainder of the Big Ten has been mediocre - nothing you wouldn't see in any other conference.

Nebraska doesn't walk into the Big Ten taking a back seat to anyone. We'll be respectful of the conference and the fans, but if anyone thinks we're coming in as something other than a top program, they're sorely mistaken.

I think the point trying to be made is Nebraska is not a top program. Not in football anymore and not academically. According to forbes list of best colleges Nebraska comes in at 442 out of 610 and has since fell out of the AAU. That is above some B10 schools, but nothing to boast about. As for football even your post shows they barely cracked the 2000's with a game in 02, which was against Miami, we all know Miami is a huge draw as well. Plus that year the Rose was the NC. Another good reason for the draw.

That said yes Nebraska is a good addition to the B10, but was not the only car on the lot.

Historically for football Nebraska is a huge get for the Big 10 but going forward it doesn't expand the BTN like it would in other markets. Omaha and Lincoln aren't exactly huge markets to expand into.

Do you really think your conference acquired Nebraska so we would deliver the Omaha and Lincoln markets? We're a national draw, man.

Where did I say Nebraska isn't a National draw? The conference makes a lot more money with the BTN and expanding it into larger population bases. There are other reasons than TV market share in play for the overall decision to add Nebraska into the Big 10. If they were going on market share, they would have added a school like Rutgers.

Rutgers doesn't get good ratings in New York, let alone the rest of America. Their ability to deliver the East Coast is at best wishful thinking, and they were never a serious candidate.

Nebraska delivers the sun belt market because - shockingly! - our climate sucks, and a huge portion of our citizens move south, especially later in life. I have several members of my family retired in Arizona and New Mexico. We have large representation from California to Texas and in Florida. We'll deliver those eyeballs like Rutgers never, ever could.

THIS.

And remember that Nebraska routinely delivered better television ratings that Notre Dame or ANY other viable B1G candidate (read: not Texas). Notre Dame's best game (against USC) was barely above our season average--and that's with Nebraska having one hand tied behind its back thanks to the s****y Big XII media deals with ABC/ESPN and partial national coverage with no reverse mirror.

When Nebraska was on, they delivered. The OU/NU and UT/NU title games were some of the highest-rated Saturday night games, ever--notice the common denominator.

Nebraska fans are some of the most passionate in the nation--where else was there a sellout streak for a women's volleyball program? Where else has collegiate baseball flirted with being revenue generating north of 36' 30"? Where else would a school nab over 300k PPV subscriptions at $39.99 each to watch their football team beat up Sister Mary Immaculate of the Blind on the football field--four times in one season!?

Penn State does none of these things. All they brought to the B1G was an expanded local footprint that could claim Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. And remember--the 80s and early 90s of college conference affiliation TV held a huge premium on local footprint--that's why seven of the Big 8 salivated over adding SWC refugees to the conference--Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.

Penn State had no clout, a tainted NC, and little else to show for their program. 95% of their success has come since they were brought in to the B1G, both academically (look at research grant money and how it's multiplied since joining the B1G) and athletically.

That seems like a little bit of a weird way to look at it. Where do you think the B10 ccg will be on the list this year? Wont matter if Nebraska is in it or not. As for the bowls, lots of people watch them even if they are not fans of either team, I think what day it falls on, weather they are on the road for the holidays, so on and so forth matters. I know I have watched many a bowl game when I had no horse in the race. If the B12 had a ccg this year, I would watch if I was able, and it doesnt have anything to do with what schools are playing.

Nebraska does bring a tv draw and I agree with Biggie, they also bring some baggage, but what team does'nt?

What baggage does Nebraska bring? A program likely falling under severe NCAA penalties? A program reeling from four years of THE WRONG coach, not to mention their own NCAA sanctions? Those are the Big Ten's two flagship programs, Ohio State and Michigan. Penn State's last ten years have been marginally better than Nebraska's, and that's during two major coaching upheavals over here. Wiscy has flirted with success but has yet to break through, Iowa is about the same, and the remainder of the Big Ten has been mediocre - nothing you wouldn't see in any other conference.

Nebraska doesn't walk into the Big Ten taking a back seat to anyone. We'll be respectful of the conference and the fans, but if anyone thinks we're coming in as something other than a top program, they're sorely mistaken.

I think the point trying to be made is Nebraska is not a top program. Not in football anymore and not academically. According to forbes list of best colleges Nebraska comes in at 442 out of 610 and has since fell out of the AAU. That is above some B10 schools, but nothing to boast about. As for football even your post shows they barely cracked the 2000's with a game in 02, which was against Miami, we all know Miami is a huge draw as well. Plus that year the Rose was the NC. Another good reason for the draw.

That said yes Nebraska is a good addition to the B10, but was not the only car on the lot.

Nebraska is ranked 47th in US News & World Report's college rankings, which is a far better benchmark than Forbes. In fact, it is the publication in such rankings. I think that would still put us in the bottom 25% of the current Big Ten, if not dead last, but guess what? That's where Penn State was ranked in 1990, before joining the Big Ten. Look at them now, and you'll see where Nebraska will be ranked in ten-fifteen years.

Are we a top program in football? Depends on what metric you're looking at. We haven't won jack squat in a decade, but we've played for more national championships in the past decade than Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State, Penn State, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Northwestern combined.

Further, Nebraska is being picked by several publications to win the Big Ten this year. If we're not a top football program, what does that say about the Big Ten?

Nebraska's big time national TV ratings makes the TV market more or less irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant but it does help balance things out. Penn State offered both, which is why they were a slam dunk and Nebraska was not.

When more people are watching Nebraska games than Penn State games, the market they're in is pretty much irrelevant.

Nebraska is ranked 47th in US News & World Report's college rankings, which is a far better benchmark than Forbes. In fact, it is the publication in such rankings. I think that would still put us in the bottom 25% of the current Big Ten, if not dead last, but guess what? That's where Penn State was ranked in 1990, before joining the Big Ten. Look at them now, and you'll see where Nebraska will be ranked in ten-fifteen years.

Are we a top program in football? Depends on what metric you're looking at. We haven't won jack squat in a decade, but we've played for more national championships in the past decade than Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State, Penn State, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Northwestern combined.

Further, Nebraska is being picked by several publications to win the Big Ten this year. If we're not a top football program, what does that say about the Big Ten?

Agreed. Thats why the move was good for Nebraska as well.

I dont subscribe to "several publications predictions". I think many of them are expecting the B10 to be down this year, I however dont see it. Oh St, yeah I can see them having some troubles, but many of the teams look pretty good and have hunger pains. Then add Nebraska wanting to do well first year in and, this year could be a good year, except for a couple of the B10 teams. I am sure there will be enough competition to satisfy everyone. To over come all that's happened in the B10 this year, the teams need to over achieve. Just like when they "star" a recruit, they come up with an easy formula to make their predictions. Really who can blame them, there are to many teams out there for them to break down.

Even according to vegas there are 7 B10 teams 8 counting Nebraska in the 49 listed with given odds of winning the NC. Nebraska has the best odds, with Wisky and State right behind them. Point is vegas sees the possibility of 7 other B10 teams with very good potential. Even ILL, along with the likes of TX Tech, Pitt, ect, who if you bet on and they won, you could pry retire. I think we will see some pretty good games this year!! :) :)

That is funny, my comment about a year ago was that the Big 10 was shopping around and looking at a Toyota (Missouri, East Coast teams) - solid & dependable but then the Big 10 drove off the lot with a Lexus in Nebraska.

Nebraska is a top brand in college football even with the recent dip in success. Things could not have worked out any better in adding a 12th team. Just look at the Nebraska addition has been accepted by Big 10 fans.

That is a very good point Knapplc, I have actually been in contact with a lot of Big 12 fans and they surprisingly are pulling for us to dominant in the Big 10. I found it odd but then got their motive. If we come into the Big 10 and take it over after being the 1st - 4th team in the conference they think it reflects well on the competition in their god forsaken conference. They may not admit it but if we go to the Big 10 and flop it will only further weaken the competitive perception of the Texas 10.

Does anyone know what the difference in subscriber revenue is for those of us out of the "footprint" of B1G? I know I pay $5 a month for BTN and a couple other worthless sports channels to make sure I have it.

I wonder if adding Omaha/Lincoln's 300k subscribers at a negotiated .70 cents a piece (per month - just guessing here) outweighs the million or so Nebraska fans that subscribe out of the footprint at a premium.

Sure, it's nice to get that local fan base and get BTN on every TV set, but it's probably as important, if not more important to have that national draw and get those out of state subscribers paying the premium price.

I'm assuming there is a major disparity between what my cable company in Kansas City pays for BTN, than what the local cable provider in Nebraska has to pay for it. I could be wrong though.

Even according to vegas there are 7 B10 teams 8 counting Nebraska in the 49 listed with given odds of winning the NC. Nebraska has the best odds, with Wisky and State right behind them. Point is vegas sees the possibility of 7 other B10 teams with very good potential. Even ILL, along with the likes of TX Tech, Pitt, ect, who if you bet on and they won, you could pry retire. I think we will see some pretty good games this year!! :) :)

Wouldn't that dispel the notion that Nebraska is not a top program? Sure, we'll likely bung it up somehow and fall short of expectations, but we're not chopped liver. We're not Indiana or Minnesota. We're on par with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, although we've been down for the better part of a decade. We're rebuilding - everyone knows this - but we have the potential to be great again, and there's no reason to expect we won't be.

Wouldn't that dispel the notion that Nebraska is not a top program? Sure, we'll likely bung it up somehow and fall short of expectations, but we're not chopped liver. We're not Indiana or Minnesota. We're on par with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, although we've been down for the better part of a decade. We're rebuilding - everyone knows this - but we have the potential to be great again, and there's no reason to expect we won't be.

No, Nebraska has better odds than the rest of the B10 (remember it's only June). But not even close to the odds of many other teams. Like I said many expect a down year in the B10, I think they assume that from all the talent that got drafted and some BIG holes in a few teams. But you know what they say about the word assume. I fully expect to see a few VERY good teams this year, and I also hope (more than anything) those teams reresent well in the bowls. Nebraska could very well be one of them. To be honest I think many people making odds and such ONLY look at the starters, holes and "lack of depth" when predicting. What they would see if they researched it more is the depth, even when it was a concern for some teams, has never been as bad as people make it out to be. That fact says, most programs are running pretty good. Now Northwestern, cant say that, you go two deep and there is such a drop it's a no brainer. We all know some of the players will be out for atleast a few games on just about every team, it's what you can do at that point that matters. How do you think Auburn would have done had they lost Newton? A qb is a bad example, because most teams do have a big drop from 1 to 2 in that position, but you get the idea. I dont research or keep up with any team outside the B10 and as I said, I dont see what they are seeing. Who's right, me or them? We will find out. I do know, I am up on them. :)

You want to be on par with a 7-6 Michigan team? You really need to find alternative revenue streams for players to get better talent. :)

Nebraska is a top 20 program with potential to be a top 5 team in the near future. It should be interesting to see how they transition into Big 10 play.

...and I think the Vegas people do plenty of research - well beyond the starters, holes and depth issues. If you think otherwise you know little to nothing about the sports books in Vegas. Remember, there are millions of dollars riding on those little numbers. The people that set the numbers are far more informed than anyone outside of the program (and I'm sure during a year in which a team gets a lot of play, they have people within the program on the payroll giving inside info) - or in Ohio State's case, probably players within the program ensuring info is not even needed to predict the outcome. :)