Perlman and Dr. Tom Knew in may when we were going to the big ten

Nebraska's big time national TV ratings makes the TV market more or less irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant but it does help balance things out. Penn State offered both, which is why they were a slam dunk and Nebraska was not.

your saying this like nebraska didnt get in at all. This is huge for the big ten and nebraska is a slam dunk for any conf hell neb would of gotten in earlier if the swc stayed together back in 1994

Nebraska's big time national TV ratings makes the TV market more or less irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant but it does help balance things out. Penn State offered both, which is why they were a slam dunk and Nebraska was not.

your saying this like nebraska didnt get in at all. This is huge for the big ten and nebraska is a slam dunk for any conf hell neb would of gotten in earlier if the swc stayed together back in 1994

I'm not trying to be mean but that made no sense.

They had discussions in may but I'm not sure where you're getting the "knew in may" part. The Big Ten was having discussions with other institutions at the same time and wasn't planning on making a decision any time soon. The deadline from the Big 12 meetings was the key turning point. On June 4 Delany knew he had to make a quick decision. It was now or never on Nebraska (or Missouri).

Perlman and Osborne had a good personal chemistry with Delany and I think that helped a lot. Nebraska wasn't a slam dunk choice like Penn State and I think if those guys didn't get along so well it might not happen. Nebraska is also fortunate its AAU membership held out for an extra year or it probably doesn't happen either.

Don't kid yourself. Nebraska was a huge "get" for the Big Ten.

Penn State was a huge get. Penn State added all the same things as Nebraska, plus better academics, bigger TV markets and better recruiting areas. Nebraska is still a good addition but there are drawbacks as well.

Have a clue what you're talking about before you disrespect Nebraska on this forum. Penn State was, academically, about where Nebraska is now prior to Big Ten (and CIC) admission. Penn State is ranked higher academically than Nebraska now, but that's after more than 15 years of CIC money. In 15 years, we'll be about where Penn State is now. It's all about the Benjamins.

Penn State as a TV draw wasn't that big of a factor back in 1992, ten years prior to the BTN. They were a national brand, sure, but they didn't bring any markets to the Big Ten that Ohio State and/or Michigan didn't already deliver. Ratings-wise, Penn State was a blip. Nebraska, on the other hand, has played in more top-rated televised games than Penn State, and (I believe) any other Big Ten school. I have those numbers on my other computer and I'll post them tomorrow.

Nebraska walks in the door with three Heisman trophy winners to Penn State's one. Nebraska has five national championships, Penn State has two. I could go on with major trophy winners, conference championships (since 1993), etc, etc, etc.

Penn State was a huge get for the Big Ten. Nebraska was a huge get for the Big Ten. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

They had discussions in may but I'm not sure where you're getting the "knew in may" part. The Big Ten was having discussions with other institutions at the same time and wasn't planning on making a decision any time soon. The deadline from the Big 12 meetings was the key turning point. On June 4 Delany knew he had to make a quick decision. It was now or never on Nebraska (or Missouri).

Perlman and Osborne had a good personal chemistry with Delany and I think that helped a lot. Nebraska wasn't a slam dunk choice like Penn State and I think if those guys didn't get along so well it might not happen. Nebraska is also fortunate its AAU membership held out for an extra year or it probably doesn't happen either.

Penn State was a huge get. Penn State added all the same things as Nebraska, plus better academics, bigger TV markets and better recruiting areas. Nebraska is still a good addition but there are drawbacks as well.

Have a clue what you're talking about before you disrespect Nebraska on this forum. Penn State was, academically, about where Nebraska is now prior to Big Ten (and CIC) admission. Penn State is ranked higher academically than Nebraska now, but that's after more than 15 years of CIC money. In 15 years, we'll be about where Penn State is now. It's all about the Benjamins.

Penn State as a TV draw wasn't that big of a factor back in 1992, ten years prior to the BTN. They were a national brand, sure, but they didn't bring any markets to the Big Ten that Ohio State and/or Michigan didn't already deliver. Ratings-wise, Penn State was a blip. Nebraska, on the other hand, has played in more top-rated televised games than Penn State, and (I believe) any other Big Ten school. I have those numbers on my other computer and I'll post them tomorrow.

Nebraska walks in the door with three Heisman trophy winners to Penn State's one. Nebraska has five national championships, Penn State has two. I could go on with major trophy winners, conference championships (since 1993), etc, etc, etc.

Penn State was a huge get for the Big Ten. Nebraska was a huge get for the Big Ten. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

I have been completely respectful. If anything you're being a little too sensitive. I guess saying Nebraska is a "good addition" isn't enough around here.

I have been completely respectful. If anything you're being a little too sensitive. I guess saying Nebraska is a "good addition" isn't enough around here.

No I think the Penn State was a bigger addition part was the thing that did it.

• Fire 2

Delany said that nebraska would of gotten in even if it was not a aau member it just would of taken a little longer for the vote

What's funny is that I remember when I heard rumblings, I thought at first someone was smoking some good stuff. But once you start digging for truth, it's not that hard to realize Nebraska had to be on the B1G's radar the whole time:

-Nebraska generated better TV ratings that Notre Dame (with a regional telecast, no less) or any other potential suitor

-Forbes.com ranked Nebraska as the fourth most valuable college football property in the nation--only Texas, Notre Dame, and THE Ohio State were ahead of us.

-Nebraska was a state that was contiguous to the B1G footprint--while Delaney initially said this was important, then backed off a bit, I'm sure they didn't want to be spread too far out if they could help it. Only Texas would be worth breaking the footprint for, and Notre Dame and Nebraska were either in or adjacent to it.

Then Frank the Tank (blogger who covered the whole ordeal in superb fashion), who initially scoffed at Nebraska to B1G well before anyone had put them on a short list, started looking at the numbers--not only for Nebraska (who he pointed out had excellent ratings compared to all viable candidates), but what the B1G was looking for (national coverage and subsequent ad revenue vs. local footprint expansion) and that while both are vital, the former is more important than the later.

Then the Brown Clown (Bevo Chip Brown) from orangebloods showed up and unleashed a tidal wave of derp on the whole thing. :|

• Fire 1

Delany said that nebraska would of gotten in even if it was not a aau member it just would of taken a little longer for the vote

What's funny is that I remember when I heard rumblings, I thought at first someone was smoking some good stuff. But once you start digging for truth, it's not that hard to realize Nebraska had to be on the B1G's radar the whole time:

-Nebraska generated better TV ratings that Notre Dame (with a regional telecast, no less) or any other potential suitor

-Forbes.com ranked Nebraska as the fourth most valuable college football property in the nation--only Texas, Notre Dame, and THE Ohio State were ahead of us.

-Nebraska was a state that was contiguous to the B1G footprint--while Delaney initially said this was important, then backed off a bit, I'm sure they didn't want to be spread too far out if they could help it. Only Texas would be worth breaking the footprint for, and Notre Dame and Nebraska were either in or adjacent to it.

Then Frank the Tank (blogger who covered the whole ordeal in superb fashion), who initially scoffed at Nebraska to B1G well before anyone had put them on a short list, started looking at the numbers--not only for Nebraska (who he pointed out had excellent ratings compared to all viable candidates), but what the B1G was looking for (national coverage and subsequent ad revenue vs. local footprint expansion) and that while both are vital, the former is more important than the later.

Then the Brown Clown (Bevo Chip Brown) from orangebloods showed up and unleashed a tidal wave of derp on the whole thing. :|

:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound

• Fire 1

Go figure at a Nebraska message board that you should speak respectfully about the Huskers. Maybe that comes as a shock to you? Calling Nebraska a "good addition" while in the same breath saying we come with "drawbacks" and claiming Penn State was a "slam dunk" is not going to go over well. Use some common sense, for crying out loud.

Meanwhile, I had those all-time TV ratings numbers on this computer and I wanted to update you. Nebraska has five of the top 20 most-viewed football games of all time:

Year	Game	Share	Homes	Viewers
1996	Fiesta	31	18.03	27.9
1995	Orange	31	18.031	30.0
1994	Orange	31	16.768	28.8
2002	Rose	22	14.548	21.6
1992	Orange	18	10.13	16.6

Those are the nos. 3, 4, 5, 17 & 18 games. By contrast, the rest of the Big Ten, combined, has four in the top 20:

Michigan in the 1998 Rose Bowl (#2 all time) and Ohio State three times: 2003 Fiesta Bowl, 2007 BCS National Championship Game, and the 2008 BCS National Championship Game. Those were the nos. 8, 12 & 15 games, respectively.

Notably absent from that top 20 is your horse, Penn State.

Just this past season, Nebraska played in the fourth highest-watched regular season game (not counting bowl games) when we played Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship game. No other Big Ten team made the top ten.

Still think Penn State is a bigger draw than Nebraska? Got anything to back that up with?

• Fire 2

Go figure at a Nebraska message board that you should speak respectfully about the Huskers. Maybe that comes as a shock to you? Calling Nebraska a "good addition" while in the same breath saying we come with "drawbacks" and claiming Penn State was a "slam dunk" is not going to go over well. Use some common sense, for crying out loud.

Meanwhile, I had those all-time TV ratings numbers on this computer and I wanted to update you. Nebraska has five of the top 20 most-viewed football games of all time:

Year	Game	Share	Homes	Viewers
1996	Fiesta	31	18.03	27.9
1995	Orange	31	18.031	30.0
1994	Orange	31	16.768	28.8
2002	Rose	22	14.548	21.6
1992	Orange	18	10.13	16.6

Those are the nos. 3, 4, 5, 17 & 18 games. By contrast, the rest of the Big Ten, combined, has four in the top 20:

Michigan in the 1998 Rose Bowl (#2 all time) and Ohio State three times: 2003 Fiesta Bowl, 2007 BCS National Championship Game, and the 2008 BCS National Championship Game. Those were the nos. 8, 12 & 15 games, respectively.

Notably absent from that top 20 is your horse, Penn State.

Just this past season, Nebraska played in the fourth highest-watched regular season game (not counting bowl games) when we played Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship game. No other Big Ten team made the top ten.

Still think Penn State is a bigger draw than Nebraska? Got anything to back that up with?

That seems like a little bit of a weird way to look at it. Where do you think the B10 ccg will be on the list this year? Wont matter if Nebraska is in it or not. As for the bowls, lots of people watch them even if they are not fans of either team, I think what day it falls on, weather they are on the road for the holidays, so on and so forth matters. I know I have watched many a bowl game when I had no horse in the race. If the B12 had a ccg this year, I would watch if I was able, and it doesnt have anything to do with what schools are playing.

Nebraska does bring a tv draw and I agree with Biggie, they also bring some baggage, but what team does'nt?

Historically for football Nebraska is a huge get for the Big 10 but going forward it doesn't expand the BTN like it would in other markets. Omaha and Lincoln aren't exactly huge markets to expand into.

Saying that, I was very happy to hear the news about Nebraska joining the Big 10. At the very least, it will make the discussion around the Thanksgiving table in Nebraska a lot better since I won't have to hear about the Colorado/Nebraska game. I always passed on going to that game but I might have to take in a Nebraska/Iowa game since I always like seeing Iowa lose.

That seems like a little bit of a weird way to look at it. Where do you think the B10 ccg will be on the list this year? Wont matter if Nebraska is in it or not. As for the bowls, lots of people watch them even if they are not fans of either team, I think what day it falls on, weather they are on the road for the holidays, so on and so forth matters. I know I have watched many a bowl game when I had no horse in the race. If the B12 had a ccg this year, I would watch if I was able, and it doesnt have anything to do with what schools are playing.

Nebraska does bring a tv draw and I agree with Biggie, they also bring some baggage, but what team does'nt?

What baggage does Nebraska bring? A program likely falling under severe NCAA penalties? A program reeling from four years of THE WRONG coach, not to mention their own NCAA sanctions? Those are the Big Ten's two flagship programs, Ohio State and Michigan. Penn State's last ten years have been marginally better than Nebraska's, and that's during two major coaching upheavals over here. Wiscy has flirted with success but has yet to break through, Iowa is about the same, and the remainder of the Big Ten has been mediocre - nothing you wouldn't see in any other conference.

Nebraska doesn't walk into the Big Ten taking a back seat to anyone. We'll be respectful of the conference and the fans, but if anyone thinks we're coming in as something other than a top program, they're sorely mistaken.

• Fire 1

Historically for football Nebraska is a huge get for the Big 10 but going forward it doesn't expand the BTN like it would in other markets. Omaha and Lincoln aren't exactly huge markets to expand into.

Do you really think your conference acquired Nebraska so we would deliver the Omaha and Lincoln markets? We're a national draw, man.

• Fire 2

What baggage does Nebraska bring? A program likely falling under severe NCAA penalties? A program reeling from four years of THE WRONG coach, not to mention their own NCAA sanctions? Those are the Big Ten's two flagship programs, Ohio State and Michigan. Penn State's last ten years have been marginally better than Nebraska's, and that's during two major coaching upheavals over here. Wiscy has flirted with success but has yet to break through, Iowa is about the same, and the remainder of the Big Ten has been mediocre - nothing you wouldn't see in any other conference.

Nebraska doesn't walk into the Big Ten taking a back seat to anyone. We'll be respectful of the conference and the fans, but if anyone thinks we're coming in as something other than a top program, they're sorely mistaken.

gauntlet1.jpg