"Time for a Truce on Texas" Lee Barfnecht

Ummm... we have no conference affiliation with Notre Dame, but many of us hate them. We have no conference affiliation with USC, (used to be no affiliation) Michigan, Miami, etc. but many Nebraskans hate them along with other teams. Yes, Texas is in the rear view mirror and we don't need to rehash the :01 everyday, but I'll be damned if I won't root my ass off against Texas everytime they're playing. That's college sports, Lee. The team that gives us the most reason to hate them would be Texas. I didn't realize you could only pay attention to the team's in your conference.

• Fire 2

I've been to the CWS several times. Knowing the atmosphere I don't think people honestly give a rats ass who is there playing. Its more about the tailgating, talking to people from around the country who enjoy ball and if you remember to stop drinking long enough. . .going into the stadium to watch a game. I think the crowds are respectful to who ever is playing and of course Omaha always chooses a team to root for through the series which is cool. I don't think people would go out of their way to disrespect any team there or boo or be intentionally rude to any participant even one that we've competed against spiritedly (who I've never considered a rival ever). I think its more a reflection on the type of individual that Barfy is that he automatically assumes this type of thing would happen. I guess he has no class.

Exactly. The Nebraskans he's writing that article to are the same Nebraskans who applauded Texas off the field last October after breaking our hearts once again.

It's a pretty common thing for the Weird Herald writers to characterize Nebraska fans in a bad light, while their hometown Creighton fans can do no wrong. Not sure why they have this "us vs. them" attitude, but it comes out in their writing a lot.

Um... Didn't Texas get booed last night when they were introduced? ...Must have been those damned Florida fans.

Didn't hear it, but I'll take your word for it. Looks like Barf is right - we're such bad fans. :rolleyes:

I've been to the CWS several times. Knowing the atmosphere I don't think people honestly give a rats ass who is there playing. Its more about the tailgating, talking to people from around the country who enjoy ball and if you remember to stop drinking long enough. . .going into the stadium to watch a game. I think the crowds are respectful to who ever is playing and of course Omaha always chooses a team to root for through the series which is cool. I don't think people would go out of their way to disrespect any team there or boo or be intentionally rude to any participant even one that we've competed against spiritedly (who I've never considered a rival ever). I think its more a reflection on the type of individual that Barfy is that he automatically assumes this type of thing would happen. I guess he has no class.

Exactly. The Nebraskans he's writing that article to are the same Nebraskans who applauded Texas off the field last October after breaking our hearts once again.

It's a pretty common thing for the Weird Herald writers to characterize Nebraska fans in a bad light, while their hometown Creighton fans can do no wrong. Not sure why they have this "us vs. them" attitude, but it comes out in their writing a lot.

Um... Didn't Texas get booed last night when they were introduced? ...Must have been those damned Florida fans.

Didn't hear it, but I'll take your word for it. Looks like Barf is right - we're such bad fans. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that Nebraska fans are any better or worse than any other college fan base. And, honestly I don't care if people boo Texas- doesn't bother me at all... I just find it funny that this dude gets attacked for basically calling it how it is.

I don't think Barfnecht deserves to get ripped for thinking that Nebraska fans and Texas fans should have a truce. However, it is bad writing and a stupid article. The people who are willing to forget Texas already have, and the people who aren't willing also won't change their mind because of Lee's article. This thing was like a facebook status update in newspaper form, something that nobody needed to say and that nobody needed to read, but was thrown out there anyways.

I don't think Barfnecht deserves to get ripped for thinking that Nebraska fans and Texas fans should have a truce. However, it is bad writing and a stupid article. The people who are willing to forget Texas already have, and the people who aren't willing also won't change their mind because of Lee's article. This thing was like a facebook status update in newspaper form, something that nobody needed to say and that nobody needed to read, but was thrown out there anyways.

First, the difference here is that Barf is using his position as a "professional" journalist. This isn't a Facebook post. To condemn Husker fans for a few boos is not right. It doesn't represent the overwhelming majority of huskers who are as classy as any out there.

Second, the Texas collective consciousness is one of HUGE ego and "better than you" attitude. They deserve a few boos from a program that is every bit as good as theirs.

• Fire 1

Barfy has always been this way. Either he is really smart, or really clueless... I haven't been able to figure it out over the years. The guy has a job that revolves around writing fluff about sports and he has kept the job for a long time. People read his stuff for this reason.

Once again, a stupid article generating backlash. This is what Lee specializes in.

A lot of fanbases hate texas, and Texas has caused Nebraska a good amount of grief over the years for a variety of reasons. Top it off with a "don't mess with Texas" supremacist attitude and it makes the Longhorns so easy to hate. That's what makes sports fun and drives the passion that creates a special aura about collegiate sporting events.

I say hate away, but it should never result in physical violence or death threats.

First, the difference here is that Barf is using his position as a "professional" journalist. This isn't a Facebook post. To condemn Husker fans for a few boos is not right. It doesn't represent the overwhelming majority of huskers who are as classy as any out there.

Second, the Texas collective consciousness is one of HUGE ego and "better than you" attitude. They deserve a few boos from a program that is every bit as good as theirs.

We may be on par with their football and if you want to talk legacy may even have them beat. As an overall program Texas is killing the majority of programs out there including us. They are competitive in almost every sport. That is one of the reasons they are so confident there Network will do well.

Texas, well, frankly, who cares. I cheered for the Longhorns and Mack Brown when they saved us from a never-ending ESPN hump fest with the greatest team in the world and the greatest coach, USC and Pete C. As for Nebraska's recent string of losses to Texas, well, can't lie, that sucked. But it would have sucked just as bad if it were against K-State or Missou or any other freaking team. And it's not like they dominated us or some crap. Throw out 2003 and almost every game came down to the last few plays. Texas has a mighty big attitude right now, but they are coming off a horrid year that was not caused by sanctions or a coaching change. Gravity says they are going down. It also says the conference we left will not last. Give me a ring when Mack lucks into another super star QB. Outside of Vince, he really hasn't had one. And anybody who thinks Colt ranks the same with Vince can try to tell me how Colt would have beaten Reggie Bush and Co. And Garrett Gilbert. Right, that guy is going to be way better than Vince....at sucking that is.

I'm with Lee here. So tired of seeing all the jealous-little-brother attitudes toward Texas. It doesn't fit our fanbase. I always hate when people get up on their "We Have SO Much Tradition" high horses when it comes to a lot of things, but in this case I actually agree that we are a proud enough program that we don't need to have these hissy fits when it comes to Texas. Let's move on already.