Cody Green to Kansas State

That's why he was being compared to Tommie Frazier in '09 when he was ripping off huge runs.

Cody isn't slow...standards have changed.

Fraizer wasn't exactly known as a speed demon. The line on him was "he isn't the biggest guy, the fastest guy, or the best passer but all he does is win". Still he was about a million times better at running the football than Cody Green. The only run I remember him having was against a GASSED Sun Belt team. Weird comparison.

I always did think it was a weird comparison. I attributed it to three things: 1) a lot of the fanbase has a weird fascination for running QBs. It's not that weird, I guess, it's nostalgia. But I mean, people went crazy over any potential "dual threat" QB and started having visions of insert-Osborne-QB-here all over again. Green is the prime example of that. 2) He was the first true freshman QB to make a start since Frazier. 3) see #1.

I think Cody does have pretty good football speed, unless he has gotten slower. He was recruited at different positions by other schools and it was said he could play any number of positions on the field, offense and defense. I guess I'm a bit doubtful of that claim now because he is lacking in fluidty, but the issue was never straight-line speed with Cody: it's that we consistently did not play to his strengths, and asked him instead to run laterally. Disaster.

I think in a shotgun run-and-gun offense where he can sit back and sling it to receivers, and then take off out of the pocket when things open up, he'd be able to show the world them wheels that he has.

Hmmmm...visiting USC

ESPN Link

:facepalm: to Joe Schad for providing Cody's passing stats. As if those are the only measurables for a QB. Why don't people who cover college football for a living ever learn that running QBs can be winners at this level? Passing is not the only stat that matters for college QBs. Cody will make his living with his legs, not his arm. He's not a passing QB, per se.

Wait. . .Cody is transferring because he's an NFL caliber QB. How many running qbs make it big in the NFL?

Michael Vick, and look what happened to him, lol.

Cody is neither a running or passing QB. He was good on the HS level but that is the reason he is leaving. I am on record saying I didn't think he would start another game as a NU QB. 3/14 won't get in done as a top 10 school in big time college football.

If he goes to USC, he will not see the field in his last two years.

That's why he was being compared to Tommie Frazier in '09 when he was ripping off huge runs.

Cody isn't slow...standards have changed.

Fraizer wasn't exactly known as a speed demon. The line on him was "he isn't the biggest guy, the fastest guy, or the best passer but all he does is win". Still he was about a million times better at running the football than Cody Green. The only run I remember him having was against a GASSED Sun Belt team. Weird comparison.

I always did think it was a weird comparison. I attributed it to three things: 1) a lot of the fanbase has a weird fascination for running QBs. It's not that weird, I guess, it's nostalgia...

It may be partially nostalgia, but for me personally and probably many others, it's not. I would much rather watch dual-threat QBs, I think they're more exciting and more entertaining than pocket-passers. I also think that they make your offense more difficult to defend, especially in college football.

Look at the Big 10, for example - who are you more worried about the Blackshirts defending? Denard Robinson or Kirk Cousins? Dan Persa, or James Vandenberg?

That 1997 Tennessee team is a great example for my purposes. Peyton frickin' Manning, along with NFL studs Jamal Lewis and Peerless Price, got shut down by a Nebraska defense that was sliced and diced earlier that season by Corby Jones (dual-threat), and Daunte Culpepper (dual-threat). In 1998, Tennessee won the national championship - with Tee Martin (dual-threat) at QB. Dual-threat Quarterbacks have won nine of the last seventeen national championships. They are effective and dangerous weapons who create extra problems for defenses.

There are many, many reasons to like dual-threat QBs beyond simple "nostalgia."

USC now out of the running, looks like it's down to Tulsa and Baylor.

Nearly two weeks after Cody Green told ESPN.com that he had a “positive relationship with several USC coaches” and was planning a visit to the school, the former Nebraska quarterback has narrowed the choices for his next destination down t0 a couple of teams.

And, as it turns out, the Trojans aren’t one of the ones to make Green’s list of finalists.

Speaking to KRIV-TV sports director Mark Berman, Green acknowledged to the Houston station that he was whittled his list down to two schools — Baylor and Tulsa. And, simply put, Green’s decision on those two institutions seems to come down to how his skillset fits into the offenses currently in place.

“They’re great schools academically and that’s a big part of it and offensively, where they’re going and in the future, both of those schools are at the peak of their game,” Green told the Houston station. ”You got Baylor, they surprised a lot of people this year, which isn’t a surprise knowing (Bears) Coach (Art) Briles. He lit the world up at U of H. He is going to do the exact same thing at Baylor. …

“University of Tulsa, they’re (one of the) top five offenses in the nation almost every year. They’re going to put up a lot of points.

LINK

I said before that I would just about guarantee that Cody goes to Baylor. He'll sit out a year wherever he goes, and this would be Griffin's senior year. That would mean Cody could go in, Redshirt, pick up the offense, and have two years to start for the Bears - IF, that is, Griffin doesn't get a medical Redshirt. Not sure he wants to, but he only played in 1/4 of Baylor's games in 2009 before getting injured. I think that would allow him to apply for the Medical. Have to see how that plays out.

USC now out of the running, looks like it's down to Tulsa and Baylor.

Nearly two weeks after Cody Green told ESPN.com that he had a “positive relationship with several USC coaches” and was planning a visit to the school, the former Nebraska quarterback has narrowed the choices for his next destination down t0 a couple of teams.

And, as it turns out, the Trojans aren’t one of the ones to make Green’s list of finalists.

Speaking to KRIV-TV sports director Mark Berman, Green acknowledged to the Houston station that he was whittled his list down to two schools — Baylor and Tulsa. And, simply put, Green’s decision on those two institutions seems to come down to how his skillset fits into the offenses currently in place.

“They’re great schools academically and that’s a big part of it and offensively, where they’re going and in the future, both of those schools are at the peak of their game,” Green told the Houston station. ”You got Baylor, they surprised a lot of people this year, which isn’t a surprise knowing (Bears) Coach (Art) Briles. He lit the world up at U of H. He is going to do the exact same thing at Baylor. …

“University of Tulsa, they’re (one of the) top five offenses in the nation almost every year. They’re going to put up a lot of points.

LINK

I said before that I would just about guarantee that Cody goes to Baylor. He'll sit out a year wherever he goes, and this would be Griffin's senior year. That would mean Cody could go in, Redshirt, pick up the offense, and have two years to start for the Bears - IF, that is, Griffin doesn't get a medical Redshirt. Not sure he wants to, but he only played in 1/4 of Baylor's games in 2009 before getting injured. I think that would allow him to apply for the Medical. Have to see how that plays out.

Rumor is Griffin is the reason Cody is hesitant with Baylor.

Rumor is Griffin is the reason Cody is hesitant with Baylor.

That would make sense only if Griffin is getting that medical, which he won't know until the end of this season. It's not even clear that he would apply for it at this point. But I see Cody's reason for hesitation - why go there when Griffin is the established star, sit out your transfer/redshirt year, then have to sit on the bench as a backup for another year? Tough decision.

• 2 weeks later...