QB depth

I say leave Marsh where he is right now. You have possible 3 QB prospect coming in next year, and the safety spot is a spot where we are hurting in the depth department.

If Bubba does show up, the depth chart should look like this. #1 Taylor Martinez #2 Brion Carnes #3 Bubba Starling. I expect Ron Kellogg to be our signal caller and Broekemeier on the scout team. The only way Bubba sees playing time is if an injury occurs or some shared mop up duty with Brion Carnes.

If Bubba does not stay in Lincoln, the only change is that Ron Kellogg should be #3 and the signal caller.

Brion Carnes won't see anything more than mop up duty, unless Tim and Bo lose faith in Taylor, and the only way that happens is he does some really stupid stuff on the field. Or if Taylor gets injured.

I don't see Bubba making a push for second place on the roster past Brion Carnes, not this year at least. Carnes has a year under his belt with the program,in the playbook and film room. Bubba hasn't even practice with the team yet.

I am still not sold on Martinez, sorry. But I think going into the season, he is the best thing we have going - and I don't like that factoid. I wish we had a more conventional QB that had some experience at this point. But it is what it is...and we all better hope that Martinez has a good year, and we somehow get some playing time for at least 2 of the other QB's on this team for the future.

In reality it is going to come down to how the offensive line does. If they can control the line, we have a chance. If they cannot make some holes and protect Martinez or whoever is back there when they throw the ball, it is going to be a VERY long and hard season.

It's fairly rare for your #1 and #2 guys to have injuries. So if you believe that the job fell to CG because of injuries to TM and ZL, then don't expect this to happen again. And, even if it does, I have more confidence in RK3 than CG anyway.

The real issue is that #2 spot; that guy will get some snaps for sure. Carnes is a gamer; he has the mental factor that neither CG nor ZL ever had.

How can we say Carnes is a gamer?

The very definition of the term is someone who turns it up in games. Carnes for all we know, is more of a practice warrior, which is what I think Zac Lee was. Zac Lee was not close to being deficient in the mental factor of the game, either. I think he just lacked big play abilty, through the ground and through the air. He was the play-it-safe kinda, managing style of QB.

Marsh....man, I don't know anything about this guy. So it's hard to say. This is the first I've heard about him one way or the other. QB is where we are lacking depth. But I'm not enthused about athletes who insist on playing the glamour position instead where they've been identified and slotted into at first.

• Fire 1

I am still mystified at how Nebraska is getting picked so highly on the preseason polls when we don't really have a QB with much experience, only one that has any experience, and an offensive line that has played the past few years like they just got off the bus and are learning their positions most of the season. As in the past, I think we better pray that the defense can carry the offense, because I am just not feeling it. I hope that I am dead wrong...I pray that I am, but I have not seen anything from the offense that is neither consistent, or gives me a reason to think they are about to turn the proverbial corner.

The one thing I do like is that we have gotten Watson out of here. He had more than a fair shot to put together a offense, and he failed miserably. I think Bo has finally got "his guy" in there, and can light a fire under his rear when he needs to. I am still not a fan of Cotton...and I think if the o-line looks and performs anything like it did the past few seasons, he will be gone after this next season. Personally, I would have preferred that he would have gone the same way as Watson after this past season, but am willing to give him a chance, thinking that maybe it was all Watson and his offensive scheme that the players nor the coaches seemed to ever really get. Cotton is under the microscope this season, it is do or die IMHO.

I am still not sold on Martinez, sorry. But I think going into the season, he is the best thing we have going - and I don't like that factoid. I wish we had a more conventional QB that had some experience at this point. But it is what it is...and we all better hope that Martinez has a good year, and we somehow get some playing time for at least 2 of the other QB's on this team for the future.

In reality it is going to come down to how the offensive line does. If they can control the line, we have a chance. If they cannot make some holes and protect Martinez or whoever is back there when they throw the ball, it is going to be a VERY long and hard season.

We don't want a conventional QB - we don't have a conventional offense. Peyton Manning is a great QB - but he wouldn't fit our offense.

Agree with you on the offensive line. It always comes down to the offensive line.

I am still mystified at how Nebraska is getting picked so highly on the preseason polls when we don't really have a QB with much experience

Because we haven't had an offense for 3/4 of the last 2 years, and we've still done fairly well. I know last year was a huge disappointment considering how the first half went, but we did do pretty well. Anyone trying to make a quick analysis is going to look at the schedule and immediately notice two 3 point losses and a 7 point loss.

It's also normal to assume that a QB is going to improve in his 2nd year.

But I'm not enthused about athletes who insist on playing the glamour position instead where they've been identified and slotted into at first.

Not everyone is slotted correctly (Prince), and it doesn't appear as though he's insisting.

Yeah, I have no idea if he is insisting or not. The wording in the OP made it kinda sound like he was really after the position switch.

Prince, actually...is a good example. He wanted to be an offensive player, get the ball in his hand, razzle dazzle and all that. So as I recall, we said "OK, we'll give you a shot at RB." And he did, in summer 7-on-7s or something. And then he was a CB after that, because that's what we were after him for. I think that's how that went.

To clarify on my part, I don't think Marsh is making any requests, he showed a desire to play QB when he was recruited and I was wondering if it would make sense to boost our numbers at that spot and give him that opportunity as he did have some success in H.S. It sounds like most folks would prefer him to stay at safety which I am okay with.

Bubba on campus since yesterday according to NU spoke person. No intent of signing up for classes at the present time, just working out with the team. It will be interesting how this develops with this kid. For me, I think he will not be with the team this season.

i think the kid really wants at least a taste of the college athletic experience, good for him.

It's fairly rare for your #1 and #2 guys to have injuries. So if you believe that the job fell to CG because of injuries to TM and ZL, then don't expect this to happen again. And, even if it does, I have more confidence in RK3 than CG anyway.

The real issue is that #2 spot; that guy will get some snaps for sure. Carnes is a gamer; he has the mental factor that neither CG nor ZL ever had.

Not trying to pile on here Hujan but geesh.....the kid hasn't played even one snap of cfb yet is already a "gamer" and is mentally above anything CG or ZL ever had? Wow....

Haha, the first pass he completes this year will have you labeling him as a NFL HOF just for starters. Hey, here's hoping you're right!

:koolaid2:

Not trying to pile on here Hujan but geesh.....the kid hasn't played even one snap of cfb yet is already a "gamer" and is mentally above anything CG or ZL ever had? Wow....

Haha, the first pass he completes this year will have you labeling him as a NFL HOF just for starters. Hey, here's hoping you're right!

:koolaid2:

For the love of God you guys lack vision.

Why is it that there are a million Bubba threads and candle-light vigils about a kid who hasn't even stepped foot in Lincoln, but the second I mention my belief that Carnes is a gamer (or, perhaps I should have said, "will be a gamer") you all say I'm crazy?

I see something in Carnes that you all apparently do not. You can call me crazy, but something special is clearly there as far as I am concerned.