QB depth

I'm with you Hujan. I think Carnes is going to surprise a lot of people with his ability. They shouldn't dismiss this guy so soon, just because Bubba is now on campus.

I don't think anyone is dismissing Carnes, more like considering him an ace in the hole. This is a guy we've got in hand already; we're looking at Starling for depth, and for the future.

But anything we're saying about how good Carnes is going to be is just projection. I saw the Spring Game, and I thought he looked good. But he's still young, still a project. I'm more worried about Martinez doing well than any of the rest of our QBs combined.

I'm with you Hujan. I think Carnes is going to surprise a lot of people with his ability. They shouldn't dismiss this guy so soon, just because Bubba is now on campus.

I don't think anyone is dismissing Carnes, more like considering him an ace in the hole. This is a guy we've got in hand already; we're looking at Starling for depth, and for the future.

But anything we're saying about how good Carnes is going to be is just projection. I saw the Spring Game, and I thought he looked good. But he's still young, still a project. I'm more worried about Martinez doing well than any of the rest of our QBs combined.

I agree with this. I'm tickled at the possibilities of Carnes if he realizes his potential. But this year, everything is riding on Martinez. We better hope he does well. If he doesn't and flames out and loses the starting job, that would pretty much be a disaster scenario for Husker football in 2011. It would not mean good things for the season. I hope that won't happen.

The thought of Martinez beating out Lee last year left me wondering a bit. After all, Martinez had ZERO experience and had just shown a few flashes of good in spring ball. When I saw him run in his first TD in the opener I was like, WOW, this kid is AWESOME. Not saying that it would happen for sure, but I would at least wait and see what Carnes did before I dismissed the season simply due to an injury to Martinez.

It's fairly rare for your #1 and #2 guys to have injuries. So if you believe that the job fell to CG because of injuries to TM and ZL, then don't expect this to happen again. And, even if it does, I have more confidence in RK3 than CG anyway.

The real issue is that #2 spot; that guy will get some snaps for sure. Carnes is a gamer; he has the mental factor that neither CG nor ZL ever had.

Not trying to pile on here Hujan but geesh.....the kid hasn't played even one snap of cfb yet is already a "gamer" and is mentally above anything CG or ZL ever had? Wow....

Haha, the first pass he completes this year will have you labeling him as a NFL HOF just for starters. Hey, here's hoping you're right!

:koolaid2:

For the love of God you guys lack vision.

Why is it that there are a million Bubba threads and candle-light vigils about a kid who hasn't even stepped foot in Lincoln, but the second I mention my belief that Carnes is a gamer (or, perhaps I should have said, "will be a gamer") you all say I'm crazy?

I see something in Carnes that you all apparently do not. You can call me crazy, but something special is clearly there as far as I am concerned.

I believe you that Carnes is a gamer. Kid has got great talent.

I see something in Carnes that you all apparently do not. You can call me crazy, but something special is clearly there as far as I am concerned.

At least the forum is consistent. A lot see things in Martinez that others don't. Opposite...but similar response.

I don't see how the two are comparable. We've seen one player in one spring game. The other played actual games.

At least the forum is consistent. A lot see things in Martinez that others don't. Opposite...but similar response.

I don't see how the two are comparable. We've seen one player in one spring game. The other played actual games.

It's about a person's perception and vision of a player's ability, not playing time. I see where you are coming from, but PT and how good you think a player is/could be are not the same thing.

It's about a person's perception and vision of a player's ability, not playing time. I see where you are coming from, but PT and how good you think a player is/could be are not the same thing.

I think what Moiraine is saying is, that perception is coming from vapor, from nowhere. We don't know anything that is practical about Carnes yet. I think everyone agrees that he looked the best of all the QBs in the Spring Game, but we have to temper that with the fact that there have been a million Spring Game stars who busted in the regular season.

I cannot say that Hujan is wrong, all I can do is question where he's seeing that "something" in Carnes.

I will give Hujan a beer if Carnes ends up being something special. Maybe two beers. I hope like the dickens he's right. We need special at QB.

here's my opinion on the QB situation...

...going into this season, NU...for the first time in YEARS has a QB that started nearly an entire season the prior year (Ganz had a few starts, but we had no defense then so who cares). Freshman, junior...doesn't matter. Not only have the last few years featured 1st year starters, but entirely redefined offenses. This year is no different than prior years in that regard (and it's really starting to get old BO!) but at least we might have some sort of continuity at the QB position for once.

2007 - Sam Keller

2008 - Joe Ganz

2009 - Zac Lee

2010 - T-Mart

2011 - probably T-Mart

That in itself helps me sleep at night a little.

Right. Facts are not the same as opinions.

knapp, we're in 100% agreement that we have seen nothing practical yet out of Carnes.

And by the way - being one of the most touted and polished passers in the nation out of HS didn't help Garrett Gilbert get above a 111.0 rating and 10 TD - 17 INT ratio last year. Being a phenomenal talent in many, many ways didn't stop Jake Locker from having extremely, extremely underwhelming stats in college. (Did get him drafted in the first round though, but does that matter for poor perenially mediocre Washington?) Style of play and ability are not even in the realm of "practical" when it comes to this discussion.

You know, i seem to remember last year right after the spring game. The board was pretty well split between who would be the starting QB, some said Lee because of experience, some said Green because of his big play ability during FAU and others said Martinez because of what they saw during the spring game.

The end result was Martinez was the starter and everyone who picked Lee and Green quickly ran and bandwagoned onto the Martinez train.

It's going to be funny (to me at least) if history repeats itself again.

You know, i seem to remember last year right after the spring game. The board was pretty well split between who would be the starting QB, some said Lee because of experience, some said Green because of his big play ability during FAU and others said Martinez because of what they saw during the spring game.

The end result was Martinez was the starter and everyone who picked Lee and Green quickly ran and bandwagoned onto the Martinez train.

It's going to be funny (to me at least) if history repeats itself again.

This is an unnecessarily pessimistic interpretation of what happened. Most people felt Lee would start because he had started the previous year, and we had done well under him. When Martinez got the gig, most people simply supported him because he's a Husker, not out of some bandwagon fandom.