Yahoo! to announce two more scandals this summer

knapplc

The college football world is abuzz with a report that Yahoo! sports writer Charles Robinson has not one, but two stories coming out this summer dealing with college football scandals. He was on Waddle & Silvy from an ESPN radio affiliate in Chicago, when he dropped the news:

Which Team Will Be Charles Robinson's Next Investigative Target?

by Holly Anderson • Mar 9, 2011 4:41 PM EST

ESPN's Chicago radio program Waddle & Silvy had Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson on the show Wednesday morning, and after some talk of the Jim Tressel investigation, an accidental bombshell was dropped: The hosts asked what else Robinson was working on, and he hinted at two more stories coming down the pike, one of which he characterized as an even bigger scandal than the Ohio State story. Teams, institutions, and even conferences go unnamed, but read our hasty transcript and decide for yourselves: Should your team be worried?

ESPN
: So is there another team, another organization, another sport that should be nervous right now because you're working on something comparable?

Robinson
: Yeah [laughs], we've still got a couple more coming.

[several moments of back-and-forth banter]

Robinson
: I've got probably a six to a seven, maybe an eight depending on where you live coming in the next two weeks, and then by August, a ten.

ESPN
: Well, what would you consider the Tressel story, on a one to ten?

Robinson
: Probably an eight.

ESPN
: So there's something even bigger than that coming in the summertime?

Robinson
: Yeah. Yeah. There's one I've been working on since, I don't know, I'm probably entering my fourth month on it, and we'll probably get a good six, seven months in on it before I'm done.

So that's what we have to go on. Auburn fans, time to partner up with an alum from a lesser conference and teach them how to properly track a plane. Who's getting thrust in the spotlight this month, and who's in big trouble this summer? Your best guesses in the comments.

I've cruised through a few message boards and folks seem to think the "ten" target is Auburn. I sure wouldn't shed a tear to see them lose their championship from last year, nor would I lose any sleep over Cam Newton losing his Heisman.

He supposedly did an interview stating it was an SEC west team, but not Ole Miss or Arkansas.

The 10, well unless a whole new as of yet unknown widespread pay for play scandal that hasn't even been hinted at is uncovered... its got to be Auburn and in order for that to be a 10 it would need to have found where the 200k went, and maybe expose some more of what was going on between Miss. St., Auburn, and the rest of the schools recruiting Cam.

The other one most people seem to think is going to be LSU.

It'll be an interesting year if we lose 3 head coaches before games are even played.

As far as the Death Penalty, I doubt it is in play, SMU was busted once and on probation and busted again... but that doesn't mean this isn't going to hurt for the Buckeyes and whoever else gets caught in coverups this year.

Georgia Tech just got hammered for covering up like 300 dollars and coaching their WR before an NCAA interview. If I were an Ohio State fan I'd seriously be worried after seeing that.

They aren't though, they seem to continue to believe that they were self reporting violations with no coverup and vacating wins and firing their head coach is all the punishment they will get. It's going to be funny for about a week watching their reactions this fall when the penalties come down, and then sad for probably 4+ years.

And they'll get off light compared to Auburn if the Cam Newton saga ends the way it should.

maybe this "10" will lead to other SEC schools seeing trouble.. maybe Urban Meyer got out kinda like Pete Carroll. I dont know but it seems like there is alot more to this than what meets the eye with alot of schools. 5 championships in a row from one conference..... i guess we will see!

No this was something that was known before and obviously wouldn't be something Yahoo would be covering in the next month or two.

On a side note I don't think the Lyles thing would count against the probation from this, so should the NCAA investigation into that turn into another infraction they won't be hit with extra penalties for being on probation in that case.

From what I'm hearing around the forums, LSU is not the story. Besides, Yahoo! didn't break the LSU story, that's kind of a common-knowledge thing from what I understand. It wouldn't be a "10" on anyone's scale, either, especially not when the Yahoo! guy said the OSU/Tressel thing was an "8."

I'm still guessing it's Auburn.

• 4 weeks later...