Shatel OWH Article

Decent article, but what really caught my attention was this blurb:

Oh sure, you thought that Oklahoma was your partner. But the Sooners up and broke your hearts and cut the cord when the Big 12 was formed in 1996. The others were sometimes rivals. And then there was Colorado.

Appropriately, Osborne put the void in perspective.

"The Big Ten is about tradition," Osborne said. "The Big 12, not so much. We had a trophy with Missouri, but I don't think I ever saw the trophy. I don't remember what it was called."

Osborne took a final dig at Colorado as he talked about ill-fated rivalries of the past.

"Somebody decided to make us their rival," Osborne said, referring to the Buffs. "As a result, it got nasty at times. I never did understand that."

OWH Link

TO baring some fangs! I have a pretty hard time believing Dr. Tom actually forgot the name of the Victory Bell...although it is (was?) also called the Missouri-Nebraska Bell. Interesting little display of venom from Osborne, I thought.

You know what, I've always thought the trophy games were kinda stupid... I don't get what's so wrong about this one, it honors someone doing good in the local communities and it raises money for the red cross. Other then the HyVee banding (branding is inescapable in sport anyways) I don't see much to be unsatisfied with.

You know what, I've always thought the trophy games were kinda stupid... I don't get what's so wrong about this one, it honors someone doing good in the local communities and it raises money for the red cross. Other then the HyVee banding (branding is inescapable in sport anyways) I don't see much to be unsatisfied with.

The only thing I don't like about this is the forced feeling it has. It reminds me of the Colorado "rivalry." I'd rather see it grow into something naturally than be designated something it isn't from the get-go.

• Fire 1

The only thing I don't like about this is the forced feeling it has. It reminds me of the Colorado "rivalry." I'd rather see it grow into something naturally than be designated something it isn't from the get-go.

Thank you! It's a little ridiculous to say we have a "rivalry" with ANY of these teams right now, because we have basically no historically relevant games with any of these programs with any of our current players. The closest to anything with significant history with a program is Penn State in 1982, however that really not a long succesion of games necessary to define the series as one of our major rivalries, especially because the series up until now, wasn't annually continued. Give us a few years before we go making trophies and declaring teams as "rivals". We don't have a Big Ten history yet, therefore to save we have a Big ten rivalry doesn't make sense right now.

Decent article, but what really caught my attention was this blurb:

Oh sure, you thought that Oklahoma was your partner. But the Sooners up and broke your hearts and cut the cord when the Big 12 was formed in 1996. The others were sometimes rivals. And then there was Colorado.

Appropriately, Osborne put the void in perspective.

"The Big Ten is about tradition," Osborne said. "The Big 12, not so much. We had a trophy with Missouri, but I don't think I ever saw the trophy. I don't remember what it was called."

Osborne took a final dig at Colorado as he talked about ill-fated rivalries of the past.

"Somebody decided to make us their rival," Osborne said, referring to the Buffs. "As a result, it got nasty at times. I never did understand that."

OWH Link

TO baring some fangs! I have a pretty hard time believing Dr. Tom actually forgot the name of the Victory Bell...although it is (was?) also called the Missouri-Nebraska Bell. Interesting little display of venom from Osborne, I thought.

funny there was an article from a Chicago writer that thought Osborne was referring to Texas- big 10 writers have a lot to learn

I think the rivalry would have sprung up naturally even if we hadn't gone to all this trouble in casting it in gold. The Iowa and Nebraska fans have always behaved like there was some rivalry even though there wasn't. We share a border. We are demographically similar. Our programs have been on roughly the same trajectory for about the past five years.

The only part of the article I didn't care for was the characterization of the rivalry. I hope it doesn't turn into a situation where fans from one team are uncomfortable wearing a certain shirt in another state. At Nebraska I would hope Hawkeye fans are treated with the same respect as everyone else. This is a sport. A game. We all love it. We were all born and raised somewhere. The last thing we want is another Colorado situation where a fan base is so committed to being classless jerkoffs that it's not even pleasant to visit their stadium. We should have MUCH higher standards at our place.

It's possible that in 50 years, nobody will think of this as the "Heroes Game." There still might be the "Heroes Trophy" or whatever, but if this develops into a real rivalry, with lots of meaningful, big time games, then at some point some blogger or journalist or broadcaster (or message board poster???) is going to come up with some name that resonates and sticks.

The AD didn't announce with corporate sponsorship that the University of Nebraska would be known as the "Cornhuskers." A journalist just decided to call us that sometime, and it stuck - all of a sudden we were the Cornhuskers, not the Bugeaters. The "Blackshirts" wasn't planned - the local sporting goods store only had black practice jerseys left, so that's what we got, and before long, the "Blackshirts" defense was feared by college football programs all over the country. The Horseshoe tradition evolved naturally out of our emotional wins over Notre Dame and the Four Horseman back in the 1920's.

So anyways - my point is that if this does develop into a real rivalry, it'll overcome the forced nature of its beginning and become a tradition that actually resonates with people. If people don't like "The Heroes Game" than that name won't last.

I don't think you guys realize how much you actually hate Iowa. You'll realize it in November.

Hating a few overzealous fans does not make a rivalry. <_<

I've seen enough "True" Husker fans that would make me hate Nebraska, if I thought they were the barometer of all Husker fans. chuckleshuffle