Sad or happy we don't play Iowa State anymore?

oops we made it onto cyclownfanatic.com!!!

same old cards from this former foe. nebraska overrated. cant think of anything bad about them so lets make fun of their state. fat farmer rahtards, etc.

Me link to thum delusionist huzkerz fans cyclowns burds

Clearly you fabricated that entire web page (and kudos to you for doing it, and so quickly!) because there is NO WAY that kind of sentiment exists outside of HuskerBoard.

Biggie.

Your talking as if the Big 10 is a happy loving family that supports each other, the hatred on the field is just fun banter amongst fans. If thats the case than i'm even more happier now than I was yesterday at the fact we joined the Big 10. But in order to realize where we as Husker fans are coming from you need to see things through our eyes. We just got out of a conference that in a lot of ways was like a disfunctional family that it's only tv time should of been scheduled on the Jerry Springer show. To help you understand how we feel try to imagine this scene if you will. Say back when there was actually only 10 teams in the Big 10 and everyone got along and had mutual respect. Then when Penn State came in they tried to run things and be the big dog on campus and everyone went with them and voted against your school. Which ended up ruining the feelings and ties amongst the universities as they all now look up to Penn State.

If you can understand that and imagine how you would feel, then you can understand how we as Husker fans for the most part won't miss much if anything of the Big 12-2. As that is exactly what Texas did and how other Universities turned on us. Now if this would of happened in the 90's before the Big 12-2. Then I'm sure our responses would of been much different.

ps if there are any spelling or grammar erros, i'm sure there are. Sorry I've had little sleep lately.

I completely agree. I never expected NU fans to miss the other Big 8 schools as much as Oklahoma, but if you read the comments, most of it is like game day smack talk. That's what surprised me.

That's why I asked if you ever went to any message boards of any other Big Ten teams. There are posts ten times worse than this about other Big Ten teams on those boards. There are whole threads dedicated to the verbal dismemberment of every other team on Iowa boards, Wisky boards, Minnesota boards, and you should entirely skip the conversations about Michigan and Ohio State on each team's boards - if you think this is bad, that will send you into conniptions.

You're acting like our ambivalence towards Iowa State is somehow different than what you'd read about Illinois or Indiana on an Iowa board or an Ohio State board, and it's not. In fact, it's more tame than what I've read there.

You said you understood, but I don't think you do so I'll post it again now.

What? If you read what I wrote, I made clear the respect is for the history, the conference, and for each others institutions as members of something bigger than themselves, not necessarily the sports teams holding hands. There is a clear distinction which you may or may not grasp. Big Ten fans generally love being part of the Big Ten. That's a fact. If any school left the Big Ten, there would be a sense of regret at the end of an era, even if the move happened to be for the best.

So far, we love being part of the Big Ten too. We loved being part of the Big 8. We didn't love being part of the Big 12. We're all watching with glee as the infighting continues and programs like Oklahoma and Texas A&M threaten to bolt to the SEC. If your point is that the Big Ten is tighter knit than the Big 12, then you're right, and that's a big part of why we made the move. If your point is that the Big Ten is tighter knit than the old Big 8, I don't think that's necessarily true. I could be wrong, but mainly I just think that the Big Ten is run a lot better than the Big 12, and Delany's leadership results in the conference trying to do what is best for every team, rather than catering to a select few. I think if the Big Ten was run as poorly as the Big 12 is, you'd see animosities grow between the teams in the Big Ten just like in the Big 12.

As far as Iowa State goes, we'll only miss them as much as you can miss a team you so thoroughly beat down year after year. If every game for the past 40 years was like the last 2 years, we'd miss them a lot more. But instead, probably 35 of the last 40 years were complete beatdowns. We're not really going to miss Kansas football either - we'll miss Kansas basketball, because how can you not miss going to Allen Fieldhouse. The main thing I feel for Iowa State is pity, because if the Big 12 does fall apart, the massive conference realignment that ensues is going to leave them out to dry.

I respect your opinion although I think you're wrong about Delany. I think the Big Ten culture has kept Delany in check more than he would like. It was even more traditional before him. He's a decent leader, but he's an east coast guy with big ideas that don't always need to happen, and if he gets his way to expand the Big Ten to 14 or 16 teams, it could be bad news. His arrogance at being spurned by the networks is what led to the formation of the BTN, which turned out to be a huge success. He tells the story about how the TV guys were in his office and he threw them out and told them he's start his own network and they'd be sorry. Then he sent them a bottle of wine years later thanking him for helping to launch the BTN. That same attitude might not work out so well next time though.

Here's the problem: biggie is comparing his own mythical, ideological vision of the Big Ten to what fans on a message board are saying about another team not even in the Big Ten. It's an apples to oranges comparison (as many have said). Here's an experiment for biggie to go off and test: ask on a Michigan message board whether they're disappointed Indiana is now in the other division and they won't play as often. As a follow-on: ask on an Ohio St. message board whether they're happy or sad that Minnesota is in the other division. And then for the control: ask on a Colorado message board whether they're happy or sad they don't play Iowa St. anymore.

My prediction is that you'll get many of the same responses you're seeing here.

I respect your opinion although I think you're wrong about Delany. I think the Big Ten culture has kept Delany in check more than he would like. It was even more traditional before him. He's a decent leader, but he's an east coast guy with big ideas that don't always need to happen, and if he gets his way to expand the Big Ten to 14 or 16 teams, it could be bad news. His arrogance at being spurned by the networks is what led to the formation of the BTN, which turned out to be a huge success. He tells the story about how the TV guys were in his office and he threw them out and told them he's start his own network and they'd be sorry. Then he sent them a bottle of wine years later thanking him for helping to launch the BTN. That same attitude might not work out so well next time though.

Even if Delany isn't perfect, if you can't see that his leadership of the Big Ten is way, WAY better than in the Big 12 conference, then you're just seriously misinformed about what the Big 12 conference was really like.

Imagine that instead of having the Big Ten Network, which is a cash cow for the whole conference and splits revenue evenly to each team, you had the Buckeye Network. The Buckeye Network has just signed multi-million dollar deal with ESPN, which will bring money to Ohio State alone, not the rest of the Big Ten. Then the Buckeye Network has decided it will televise a conference game, let's say Iowa. Now Iowa fans have to up their cable package and subscribe to the Buckeye Network if they want to see that game. On top of that, the Buckeye Network is going to televise high school games throughout Ohio, and maybe they'll even branch out and broadcast high school games from other states, which should be an enormous and illegal recruiting advantage for Ohio State.

Keep in mind that before any of this even happened, the conference championship game was moved from Indianapolis to Cleveland and the conference offices were moved from Illinois to Cleveland. Last season, your team (Iowa) had a player suspended for a hit that multiple players do every week, yet he was the only player ever suspended by the conference for such a hit. In several games, your team suffered through insanely bad calls, even obvious missed calls that would have been reviewed under any other circumstance but for some reason were not, and in one game the officials even told your head coach that they were going to job him.

Your favorite rivalry, which was at one time considered one of the best in the game, on the same level as Michigan vs. Ohio State, is no more - that rival decided upon conference formation they'd rather only play you twice every four years. All of the other schools in the conference have followed Ohio State on revenue sharing, on moving the conference offices and the championship game, and the've even changed the academic standards of the conference to the liking of Ohio State, much to your school's chagrin.

Now, even while all of this is going on, Ohio State is looking around for other conferences that they'd rather be in, and at any moment they could leave, take half the conference with them, and the Big Ten would dissolve entirely. Meanwhile, one of the teams you have a fair amount of history with (let's say Wisconsin, I suppose - for us it was Colorado) decided to slip quietly out the back door to join another conference.

That is what Nebraska has been through over the past 15 years, and its where the Big 12 leadership has taken that conference. That's why we left. Delany may not be perfect, but he didn't create that kind of mess. Even forming the new 12-team Big Ten, Delany clearly put a lot of effort into creating competitive balance, and into protecting as many rivalries as he could. He couldn't protect them all, but I guarantee you that the level of dissatisfaction with his perceived failures is NOTHING compared to what went on in the Big 12, and what continues to go on in that wreck of a conference.

Even if Delany isn't perfect, if you can't see that his leadership of the Big Ten is way, WAY better than in the Big 12 conference, then you're just seriously misinformed about what the Big 12 conference was really like.

Imagine that instead of having the Big Ten Network, which is a cash cow for the whole conference and splits revenue evenly to each team, you had the Buckeye Network. The Buckeye Network has just signed multi-million dollar deal with ESPN, which will bring money to Ohio State alone, not the rest of the Big Ten. Then the Buckeye Network has decided it will televise a conference game, let's say Iowa. Now Iowa fans have to up their cable package and subscribe to the Buckeye Network if they want to see that game. On top of that, the Buckeye Network is going to televise high school games throughout Ohio, and maybe they'll even branch out and broadcast high school games from other states, which should be an enormous and illegal recruiting advantage for Ohio State.

Keep in mind that before any of this even happened, the conference championship game was moved from Indianapolis to Cleveland and the conference offices were moved from Illinois to Cleveland. Last season, your team (Iowa) had a player suspended for a hit that multiple players do every week, yet he was the only player ever suspended by the conference for such a hit. In several games, your team suffered through insanely bad calls, even obvious missed calls that would have been reviewed under any other circumstance but for some reason were not, and in one game the officials even told your head coach that they were going to job him.

Your favorite rivalry, which was at one time considered one of the best in the game, on the same level as Michigan vs. Ohio State, is no more - that rival decided upon conference formation they'd rather only play you twice every four years. All of the other schools in the conference have followed Ohio State on revenue sharing, on moving the conference offices and the championship game, and the've even changed the academic standards of the conference to the liking of Ohio State, much to your school's chagrin.

Now, even while all of this is going on, Ohio State is looking around for other conferences that they'd rather be in, and at any moment they could leave, take half the conference with them, and the Big Ten would dissolve entirely. Meanwhile, one of the teams you have a fair amount of history with (let's say Wisconsin, I suppose - for us it was Colorado) decided to slip quietly out the back door to join another conference.

That is what Nebraska has been through over the past 15 years, and its where the Big 12 leadership has taken that conference. That's why we left. Delany may not be perfect, but he didn't create that kind of mess. Even forming the new 12-team Big Ten, Delany clearly put a lot of effort into creating competitive balance, and into protecting as many rivalries as he could. He couldn't protect them all, but I guarantee you that the level of dissatisfaction with his perceived failures is NOTHING compared to what went on in the Big 12, and what continues to go on in that wreck of a conference.

I agree it sucked. I have to ask why didn't you make a protected rivalry with Oklahoma? Seems like Oklahoma should take more of the blame than the other Big 8 schools on that one. As for the TV deals, Texas was a dick. There's nothing stopping Ohio State from doing the same thing other than they're not a dick. Texas was ready to go independent if it didn't get its way is that right?

I agree it sucked. I have to ask why didn't you make a protected rivalry with Oklahoma? Seems like Oklahoma should take more of the blame than the other Big 8 schools on that one. As for the TV deals, Texas was a dick. There's nothing stopping Ohio State from doing the same thing other than they're not a dick. Texas was ready to go independent if it didn't get its way is that right?

Like all the other protected rivalries in the Big 12? Oh, wait, Nebraska did propose that type of schedule but it got voted down, say like by a 1-11 vote? So OU still gets the same amount of blame as the other Big 8 schools (including ISU). Nice try though. Sorry you're hurt that we respect OU more than your ISU

Like all the other protected rivalries in the Big 12? Oh, wait, Nebraska did propose that type of schedule but it got voted down, say like by a 1-11 vote? So OU still gets the same amount of blame as the other Big 8 schools (including ISU). Nice try though. Sorry you're hurt that we respect OU more than your ISU

I'm not hurt about anything. Do you think if OU had stood with you they could have stopped it or were the other 10 schools dead set on it? Were there many 7-5 votes or 6-6 votes? The Big Ten tries to do things by unanimous consent whenever possible. If there are disagreements they like to go in back rooms and work it out to save face. Part of that is the Big Ten culture and part of it is the people leading the universities.

That's not my intent here. The Big Ten has a culture I'm trying to make you aware of, although I admit it's much stronger among Big Ten alumni than non alumni sports fans only. The Big Ten is very proud of being the oldest conference in FBS, and it's based on a general level of respect for each other's institutions and the history of the conference, even if you hate each other's teams on the field. If there's one hallmark of the Big Ten, it's collaboration, in pretty much everything.

Have you ever visited a Wisconsin message board? An Ohio State message board? A Michigan message board? A Penn State message board? An Iowa message board?

This "general level of respect" that you're talking about doesn't exist on those boards. Don't pretend that the other members sit around holding hands and singing Kumbaya at each other.

What? If you read what I wrote, I made clear the respect is for the history, the conference, and for each others institutions as members of something bigger than themselves, not necessarily the sports teams holding hands. There is a clear distinction which you may or may not grasp. Big Ten fans generally love being part of the Big Ten. That's a fact. If any school left the Big Ten, there would be a sense of regret at the end of an era, even if the move happened to be for the best.

Most, if not all, were happy to be in the historical Big 8. The Big 12 killed that history and sense of belonging to a conference, so we don't give a rip anymore. Is that clearer to you now?

Ever since the Big XII formed, our comaraderie with the other Big 8 schools has broken apart over the years, mainly because of them not backing us up on key issues. I think that's why you see alot of people that aren't really all that sad to see us not play ISU or KU or any other Big 8 school outside of OU and maybe Mizzou for some. If the Big 8 was still around, people would take not playing the other Big 8 schools alot harder, or we might not have even left the conference. So basically, the Big XII killed whatever relationship we had with the other Big 8 schools.

Nebraska fans will sorely miss the great rivalry they have enjoyed with the Cyclones. It is certainly the most bitter-sweet pill to swallow in moving to the Big10. A matchup of football teams rich in historical achievement meeting countless times with championships to be decided. A classic matchup which all of college football will miss.

It is breaking my heart.

Ever since the Big XII formed, our comaraderie with the other Big 8 schools has broken apart over the years, mainly because of them not backing us up on key issues. I think that's why you see alot of people that aren't really all that sad to see us not play ISU or KU or any other Big 8 school outside of OU and maybe Mizzou for some. If the Big 8 was still around, people would take not playing the other Big 8 schools alot harder, or we might not have even left the conference. So basically, the Big XII killed whatever relationship we had with the other Big 8 schools.

I'm starting to understand more how much politics ruined things, I just have a hard time imagining how it could happen so quickly and so thoroughly to destroy 100 years of history in just a few years. Going from a conference that was enjoying perfect harmony just a few years earlier to one in shambles and hatred. It's a little frightening because if it can happen to the Big 8 it can happen to the Big Ten.

From your experience would you advise against trying to add Notre Dame or expanding past 12 teams? As for the Big 12 were some members happier than others or was everyone miserable other than Texas?