Shatel: Two Bo's

The coach says he's done talking about the Texas A&M game. But this inquiring mind had one last request.

I'd been on a late, tight deadline that wild and crazy Saturday night when Pelini cemented his image as a raging volcano. There were 16 penalties against Nebraska. I ripped Pelini rather than the officials. I thought that he brought the chaos on himself. But I had heard plenty of stories since. I needed to ask a question I wished I'd had the opportunity to ask after that game.

"Did any of those officials tell you during the game you were going to get jobbed?'' I asked.

"Yes,'' Pelini said.

What did they tell you?

"I won't say,'' he said. "But it was highway robbery. An absolute joke. I've moved on.''

So while you were yelling all night, were you sticking up for your players?

"No doubt,'' Pelini said. "I have their back. I always will. But if I had to do it over again, I would have done it different.''

Two sides of the same man

Very interesting. If this has even a kernal of truth (which I don't believe Pelini would say unless there was), then the A&M game was given to A&M by the refs (I'm talking about the roughing call on Osbourne that set up their last field goal). Not that we helped things out but when you have announcers laugh at a call, then you have a problem.

The coach says he's done talking about the Texas A&M game. But this inquiring mind had one last request.

I'd been on a late, tight deadline that wild and crazy Saturday night when Pelini cemented his image as a raging volcano. There were 16 penalties against Nebraska. I ripped Pelini rather than the officials. I thought that he brought the chaos on himself. But I had heard plenty of stories since. I needed to ask a question I wished I'd had the opportunity to ask after that game.

"Did any of those officials tell you during the game you were going to get jobbed?'' I asked.

"Yes,'' Pelini said.

What did they tell you?

"I won't say,'' he said. "But it was highway robbery. An absolute joke. I've moved on.''

"No doubt,'' Pelini said. "I have their back. I always will. But if I had to do it over again, I would have done it different.''

Very interesting. If this has even a kernal of truth (which I don't believe Pelini would say unless there was), then the A&M game was given to A&M by the refs (I'm talking about the roughing call on Osbourne that set up their last field goal). Not that we helped things out but when you have announcers laugh at a call, then you have a problem.

Fixed link

Edit: Read the article, revealing sort of for the A&M game, but I'd pay 5 to know what the officials said.

Other then that... the OWH may get in trouble again, because that sounds like an off the record type conversation.

There aren't two Bo's, there is one man, trying to get the best out of/for the players, and realizing that the media is after the best possible quote they can get. He'd be a fool not to know his "tell it like it is" personality could get him in a lot of trouble in the media arena. I think he knows that it can be a promotional tool... but is it worth buddying up to someone that would be just as happy reporting on the next QB as would be ending your career? probably not.

I think the media people don't quite get it. They've all turned into TMZ, trying to find the biggest misstep they can and happy to hang whoever they cover. They wonder why there is the disdain from the not-so-subtle questions they pose trying to get a reaction to get the quotes they've pre-determined they want after a game like A&M where the same officials have called their 3rd strait "screw you" job. They interrogate people like they are pretending they are Tom Cruise in "A Few Good Men." Then they play innocent and give everyone the "we are just doing our jobs" routine. They are, but somewhere in the last 20 years their "jobs" went from honest reporting to lets get the juiciest thing we can source like an old supermarket tabloid and hope people click on it quick. I cant remember one that reported on the penalty disparity until it was researched and on the message boards for a week.

Edit2: and just how evil do you have to be to be a grown man, to go get a job as a referee and agree to screw over 18-23 year olds.

But then he also told me that if Taylor Martinez uses a cellphone again at halftime, he'll get the same earful of Pelini again.

Interesting, huh?

haha. zoogies, I love you, but you would blow right past the "Yes the refs told me they were going to job me during the Texas A&M game" part and go straight to that.

• Fire 3

"Yes,'' Pelini said.

What did they tell you?

The officials were spotted at yell practice the night before the game, not the standard operating procedure for officials.

But then he also told me that if Taylor Martinez uses a cellphone again at halftime, he'll get the same earful of Pelini again.

Interesting, huh?

haha. zoogies, I love you, but you would blow right past the "Yes the refs told me they were going to job me during the Texas A&M game" part and go straight to that.

Sorry, I did not mean to blow past that. That is outrageous on the part of the refs, and Bo also realizes that he needs to behave differently towards them. So it's good on both counts.

The reason I thought this was interesting: because of Taylor's fairly recent comments about how this was all a misunderstanding by Bo.

"Yes,'' Pelini said.

What did they tell you?

If I'm an AD in the Big XII whose last name isn't Dodds, my takeaway from this article is that I'm going to have a busy week looking for a new home for my program. Anytime conference officials conspire to keep a team down, that could very well be your team that is being conspired against.

Plus, for some schools that don't have a pointy orange vagina for their logo, football is their only means of making money--we're talking about officials jobbing a school out of potential millions of dollars and hurting not just a football game, but an entire program.

And yes, Nebraska fans should move on.

Problem is, Nebraska fans don't do well with blatant, targeted injustice against our program. How many times have we rehashed '82 Penn State as a fanbase or the CBS media snow-job on the '95 'Huskers? We seek (in vain) to have said injustice corrected.

Articles such as this are the only means Nebraska fans have of correcting said injustice.

The "ref job" is only one of many things Danny B and the B12 have done to us over the past year since we said we would leave and head to greener pastures. If you read almost every story that has a quote from the head man he still takes every opportunity to try and taint Nebraska's credibility and TO's integrity. He's twisted conversations of of context and used examples from meetings over 10 years old to make us look bad. I wonder why that is? Perhaps its because at any point Nebraska may have a nice little story listing the things the league did unethically in the past with actually evidence. I truly wish Bo would have said exactly what the refs said to him that night. Its too bad he doesn't care more about his image or he might do just that to rally the fan base and the nation and get them behind him.

I never wanted an ugly split with the Big 12, never wanted to hate the organization that Nebraska parted from...but they are making it so very hard.

Beebe's been a disgrace, and on our side, Osborne and Perlman have been outstanding in securing our future with the Big 10 - and equally outstanding in representing the university throughout the process. Shame on the Big 12. Best of luck to the schools left stuck in it.

Who carried that game. Espn? NBC? Somebody somewhere has it recorded. Is'nt it pretty standard that everytime a coach and ref talk the "big ear" is always pointed towards them? Boy if some news program wants to break a story, holy smokes that could make a few careers right there.

I can hear it now...papers all over Texas and Missouri saying that Bo is still whining about the loss when it was him that caused it, and how Nebraska is gone and good riddance. Well, now we know the other side of the story. It was plain to see from all of us watching that the Huskers had a target on their backs during the aTm game. While I will miss playing OU, I say close the door behind us and move on to a bigger, better conference.