Shatel: Two Bo's

If I'm an AD in the Big XII whose last name isn't Dodds, my takeaway from this article is that I'm going to have a busy week looking for a new home for my program. Anytime conference officials conspire to keep a team down, that could very well be your team that is being conspired against.

It has been before.

Good call. Forgot all about that. Thanks Redblooded. :)

For all the good it does (very little), it appears that the tinfoil hat wearing Nebraska fans may have been right all along, too, especially when it came to this officiating crew. I'll admit to wearing an aluminum hat, especially after the '09 Title Game, and I don't think it's a stretch to think if we were jobbed by the conference in 2010, we were jobbed in '09.

Then again, it's easy to scream conspiracy when you have an in-conference (UT) alum as the head of officiating for your conference. :|

And to use the girlfriend analogy, it's as if you broke up with your girlfriend, and you find out down the road she was screwing other people behind your back. It's nice to have your decisions validated by the actions of others.

KU got jobbed. NU got jobbed in 2009. They actually had 3 different versions of the ruling until they came up with an official why? (For the record I have no issue with time being put back on but at least have a real reason why that you can hang your hat on.) As a result Walt Anderson is a douche.

We were told off record that the year would be hell on us officiating wise and TO even eluded to it in his B10 speech. So it was no surprise there were a whole list of questionable calls last year. The worst of which in my opinion was on Eric Martin in which he was suspended for that game despite UNL submitting several similar hits that week and the weeks before from other B12 teams and nothing was ever done. The actual response from that was laughable. Danny said he found no comparison in any of the hits what so ever. To me the only difference was Martin stood over the dude after he hit him.

How did Tom Shatel get consent to post this from Pelini?! This, to me, seems like one of those off the record conversations that coaches sometimes have with journalists.

Shatel isn't a hack. If he was off the record, he wouldn't have written it. I'm sure Pelini knew that he was on the record too, especially if Shatel had a notepad out or something. My guess is Pelini doesn't have too many conversations with journalists that are off the record... could be wrong though.

Yeah...Shitell isn't a hack. Shouldn't he have at least considered asking this question right after the game or at least in the week following it? I guess he found it more important to try tear down Bo and UNL. Hell even in this so called favorable column he alluded to the fact that Bo ruined fan day. Wouldn't that comment be better clarified with a statement that the players asked for it to be moved? He alluded to the Big Red Breakfast coming to an end and associated it with Bo like it was his decision when really its TO and Paul Meyers trying to stream line all the booster functions into something more manageable for all coaches in all sports.

I always wondered how a coach could be up till 11 or 12 then turn around and leave for Omaha at 5 am to eat breakfast with a bunch of blow hearts who want to feel important when that coach should be getting ready for a football game. That was 3 or 4 hours wasted during a very important time of game preparations. I've attended several BRB over the years. They're over rated and a waste of time for most coaches. It was important to have something like that before their was such a concentration of reporting on the team, but with the internet, message boards, and a slue of reporters from the Pinnacle Sports Network getting out information 24/7, there isn't the need for this kind of an event like there once was.

Interesting take on the BRB getting canceled. It seems contrary to what those close to boosters are insinuating. Was Dean Kratz happy with this?

How did Tom Shatel get consent to post this from Pelini?! This, to me, seems like one of those off the record conversations that coaches sometimes have with journalists.

Shatel isn't a hack. If he was off the record, he wouldn't have written it. I'm sure Pelini knew that he was on the record too, especially if Shatel had a notepad out or something. My guess is Pelini doesn't have too many conversations with journalists that are off the record... could be wrong though.

Yeah...Shitell isn't a hack. Shouldn't he have at least considered asking this question right after the game or at least in the week following it? I guess he found it more important to try tear down Bo and UNL. Hell even in this so called favorable column he alluded to the fact that Bo ruined fan day. Wouldn't that comment be better clarified with a statement that the players asked for it to be moved? He alluded to the Big Red Breakfast coming to an end and associated it with Bo like it was his decision when really its TO and Paul Meyers trying to stream line all the booster functions into something more manageable for all coaches in all sports.

I always wondered how a coach could be up till 11 or 12 then turn around and leave for Omaha at 5 am to eat breakfast with a bunch of blow hearts who want to feel important when that coach should be getting ready for a football game. That was 3 or 4 hours wasted during a very important time of game preparations. I've attended several BRB over the years. They're over rated and a waste of time for most coaches. It was important to have something like that before their was such a concentration of reporting on the team, but with the internet, message boards, and a slue of reporters from the Pinnacle Sports Network getting out information 24/7, there isn't the need for this kind of an event like there once was.

Interesting take on the BRB getting canceled. It seems contrary to what those close to boosters are insinuating. Was Dean Kratz happy with this?

Probably not, but what 'da skers' sounds very right.

Haven't been personally, but friends that have stated the demographics of that room skew heavily towards the AARP/Village Inn breakfast crowd, which isn't nearly as inclined as the 25-34 crowd to get online for news. At this point, one must weigh the PR benefits versus what is essentially regurgitating information for a select, older group of fans.

Perhaps instead of coaches burning time we'd rather they spend on game prep, we just pick some young 'whippersnapper' college student to surf to Huskerboard.com and read the threads aloud to the group? It would serve the same purpose. We could even line up multiple 'young'ns' so each post could have a different voice. :)

Hell, I'm sure the UNL Forensics squad is still going...and probably needing money as always...so they'd be perfect for the task.

Haven't been personally, but friends that have stated the demographics of that room skew heavily towards the AARP/Village Inn breakfast crowd, which isn't nearly as inclined as the 25-34 crowd to get online for news. At this point, one must weigh the PR benefits versus what is essentially regurgitating information for a select, older group of fans.

Perhaps instead of coaches burning time we'd rather they spend on game prep, we just pick some young 'whippersnapper' college student to surf to Huskerboard.com and read the threads aloud to the group? It would serve the same purpose. We could even line up multiple 'young'ns' so each post could have a different voice. :)

Hell, I'm sure the UNL Forensics squad is still going...and probably needing money as always...so they'd be perfect for the task.

I am not for or against the move, but I think there is a misconception about the role the BRB played. IMO it had less to do with the average fan getting access to the program as it is about giving the boosters this opportunity. This is why I am not surprised to hear the audience was older. The big issue is if Bo angers boosters then it will eventually make his job harder. These are the same people who help facilities happen or give Bo private jet access. Not saying I think Bo should bend to this group, frankly I would have a hard time with this also, but I think it would help him if he gave a bit more consideration for a group that is key to having the resources he wants and needs.

I ripped Pelini rather than the officials. I thought that he brought the chaos on himself. But I had heard plenty of stories since.

Wondering what stories and where they came from? chuckleshuffle

The bigger thing I got out of that was how foolish Shatel actually came across. It is pretty clear he has little love for Pelini. While I'm impressed that he came out with a statement like this, it's sad that it's coming months after the damage was done.

I am not for or against the move, but I think there is a misconception about the role the BRB played. IMO it had less to do with the average fan getting access to the program as it is about giving the boosters this opportunity. This is why I am not surprised to hear the audience was older. The big issue is if Bo angers boosters then it will eventually make his job harder. These are the same people who help facilities happen or give Bo private jet access. Not saying I think Bo should bend to this group, frankly I would have a hard time with this also, but I think it would help him if he gave a bit more consideration for a group that is key to having the resources he wants and needs.

Every single one of those Boosters will still have access to the program. Its just going to be in a different form. UNL is also streamlining all the "Beef clubs, walk-on clubs, BBall Clubs, Pick your sport booster club" that are becoming difficult to manage and regulated to show transparency. You can still access your favorite program, you'll still be able to donate to which program you want, you'll just do it under one roof now. You'll actually probably get to learn about more sports too which as a booster you should want to do. I know football is good but there should be (and for the most part is lukewarm)excitement for the other programs UNL has. If you become more familiar with Connie Yori, or John Cook, or who ever the gymnastics coach is you're going to be more likely to support their efforts and contribute to them as well. In the end you should feel more included in all sports. I know several boosters who give to just say Football and Womens Basketball. They only get info on those sports. Now they'll get baseball stuff, mens BBall, etc too.

For the record. . I have mixed feelings. My "required" donation for football tickets is embarrassing low compared to those around me even though I donate more than I have to. But I know by donation level will be adjusted up once all of these are combined. In the future or a bad year personally I might not like that so much. But I still understand the reasoning. It doesn't bother me and if it bothers someone its probably uncalled for.

My guess would be no. He's usually critical of something going on.

And he's probably waiting for Harvey to tell him if he's happy with it or not.

My guess would be no. He's usually critical of something going on.

And he's probably waiting for Harvey to tell him if he's happy with it or not.

Da Skers is right, in my book. I have coahed at lots of levels and I coach now, at every single level you have either alums, boosters or parents that want to rub elbows with the coaches. Now, I dont feel they are taking the time away that could be used getting ready for the game, that stuff is done well before the day before the game (not sure when the BRB were held, so please dont take this as an attack on what you said Da Skers) but its one of those things where you get tired of answering the same thing over and over and over to the 10th different person that asks you the same question.