Shatel: Two Bo's

Who carried that game. Espn? NBC? Somebody somewhere has it recorded. Is'nt it pretty standard that everytime a coach and ref talk the "big ear" is always pointed towards them? Boy if some news program wants to break a story, holy smokes that could make a few careers right there.

I believe it was ABC (Well, ESPN on ABC so the production was ESPN)

"Did any of those officials tell you during the game you were going to get jobbed?'' I asked.

"Yes,'' Pelini said.

What did they tell you?

"I won't say,'' he said. "But it was highway robbery. An absolute joke. I've moved on.''

I'm going to abide by this.

• Fire 1

If I'm an AD in the Big XII whose last name isn't Dodds, my takeaway from this article is that I'm going to have a busy week looking for a new home for my program. Anytime conference officials conspire to keep a team down, that could very well be your team that is being conspired against.

It has been before.

The coach says he's done talking about the Texas A&M game. But this inquiring mind had one last request.

I'd been on a late, tight deadline that wild and crazy Saturday night when Pelini cemented his image as a raging volcano. There were 16 penalties against Nebraska. I ripped Pelini rather than the officials. I thought that he brought the chaos on himself. But I had heard plenty of stories since. I needed to ask a question I wished I'd had the opportunity to ask after that game.

"Did any of those officials tell you during the game you were going to get jobbed?'' I asked.

"Yes,'' Pelini said.

What did they tell you?

"I won't say,'' he said. "But it was highway robbery. An absolute joke. I've moved on.''

So while you were yelling all night, were you sticking up for your players?

"No doubt,'' Pelini said. "I have their back. I always will. But if I had to do it over again, I would have done it different.''

Two sides of the same man

Very interesting. If this has even a kernal of truth (which I don't believe Pelini would say unless there was), then the A&M game was given to A&M by the refs (I'm talking about the roughing call on Osbourne that set up their last field goal). Not that we helped things out but when you have announcers laugh at a call, then you have a problem.

The officials were spotted at yell practice the night before the game, not the standard operating procedure for officials.

Just curious if you have any proof of this? It's very interesting that this is all coming out now, I wonder if there will be an investigation into this allegation? Honestly, I don't know why Bo would lie about this, but those are pretty big things that I wouldn't put past some people. Think about it - would you help the person/representative of a team who could've caused you to lose your job (i.e. Nebraska nearly "causing" the BigXII to fold, thus all those officials have to look elsewhere for jobs... I think the motive is there... didn't wanna believe in a conspiracy but this is pretty telling...

Who carried that game. Espn? NBC? Somebody somewhere has it recorded. Is'nt it pretty standard that everytime a coach and ref talk the "big ear" is always pointed towards them? Boy if some news program wants to break a story, holy smokes that could make a few careers right there.

Either ABC or ESPN... I know Musberger and Herbstreit called it. I remember even Herbstreit laughing at some of the calls that were made. The replay is still on espn3.com if anyone actually wants to subject themselves to that torture just to try to do some lip reading or something.

I am sure if the refs said anything to Bo like this, it was when the cameras were not on at the time.

How did Tom Shatel get consent to post this from Pelini?! This, to me, seems like one of those off the record conversations that coaches sometimes have with journalists.

Shatel isn't a hack. If he was off the record, he wouldn't have written it. I'm sure Pelini knew that he was on the record too, especially if Shatel had a notepad out or something. My guess is Pelini doesn't have too many conversations with journalists that are off the record... could be wrong though.

How did Tom Shatel get consent to post this from Pelini?! This, to me, seems like one of those off the record conversations that coaches sometimes have with journalists.

Shatel isn't a hack. If he was off the record, he wouldn't have written it. I'm sure Pelini knew that he was on the record too, especially if Shatel had a notepad out or something. My guess is Pelini doesn't have too many conversations with journalists that are off the record... could be wrong though.

Yeah...Shitell isn't a hack. Shouldn't he have at least considered asking this question right after the game or at least in the week following it? I guess he found it more important to try tear down Bo and UNL. Hell even in this so called favorable column he alluded to the fact that Bo ruined fan day. Wouldn't that comment be better clarified with a statement that the players asked for it to be moved? He alluded to the Big Red Breakfast coming to an end and associated it with Bo like it was his decision when really its TO and Paul Meyers trying to stream line all the booster functions into something more manageable for all coaches in all sports.

I always wondered how a coach could be up till 11 or 12 then turn around and leave for Omaha at 5 am to eat breakfast with a bunch of blow hearts who want to feel important when that coach should be getting ready for a football game. That was 3 or 4 hours wasted during a very important time of game preparations. I've attended several BRB over the years. They're over rated and a waste of time for most coaches. It was important to have something like that before their was such a concentration of reporting on the team, but with the internet, message boards, and a slue of reporters from the Pinnacle Sports Network getting out information 24/7, there isn't the need for this kind of an event like there once was.

Yeah...Shitell isn't a hack. Shouldn't he have at least considered asking this question right after the game or at least in the week following it? I guess he found it more important to try tear down Bo and UNL. Hell even in this so called favorable column he alluded to the fact that Bo ruined fan day. Wouldn't that comment be better clarified with a statement that the players asked for it to be moved? He alluded to the Big Red Breakfast coming to an end and associated it with Bo like it was his decision when really its TO and Paul Meyers trying to stream line all the booster functions into something more manageable for all coaches in all sports.

I always wondered how a coach could be up till 11 or 12 then turn around and leave for Omaha at 5 am to eat breakfast with a bunch of blow hearts who want to feel important when that coach should be getting ready for a football game. That was 3 or 4 hours wasted during a very important time of game preparations. I've attended several BRB over the years. They're over rated and a waste of time for most coaches. It was important to have something like that before their was such a concentration of reporting on the team, but with the internet, message boards, and a slue of reporters from the Pinnacle Sports Network getting out information 24/7, there isn't the need for this kind of an event like there once was.

We can't know for sure. But I'd bet that comment was *not* off the record. It's probably something Pelini wanted out there. What's going to happen? Is the Big Bad 12 going to fine him or something? This is Pelini thumbin his nose at those jackasses.

This was a great article on Bo.

What I can take from the part about the refs is that Bo imparticular was targeted by the officals. Think about it, a guy tells you that and of course you are going to fly off the handle. Were the refs scrutinized by ESPN? Nope. They smeared Bo though.

In this article, Shatel expressed that he felt guilty about a few things he had said in the column he wrote after the A&M game. I didn't interpret the rest of the article as Shatel criticizing Bo for the Big Red Breakfast thing or for Fan Day. He said Bo was trying to "kill fan day" or something, but I think that was tongue-in-cheek. I thought Shatel was merely pointing out that Bo was doing what was best for his players and his coaches, while also conceding that some people in the state aren't crazy about those things (which I think is also true). I didn't get the impression that Shatel is one of those people, though.

Generally though, I would agree with you that the media can be a bunch of whiners about this kind of thing, and sometimes it's like they decide they are the representatives of the Nebraska Fan Base when the vast majority of fans don't agree with them. The only people who care about Fan Day are the people who were going to attend it, and even among those people I can't imagine that many of them feel personally slighted by the move. I would think that the vast majority of them understand the move was made for the good of the team, and are supportive of that. Yet guys like Sipple keep whining about it...