Possible Heir to Osbornes throne?

When Tom Osborne finds a sunset he wants to ride into, Paul Meyers would be honored to serve as the athletic director at the University of Nebraska.

"Absolutely," Meyers told me Friday. "I love Nebraska. I think it's a dream job.''

That's good to know. I'd never heard Meyers declare it emphatically. His friends haven't, either.

The topic comes up because Meyers is everywhere these days, everywhere that big things are happening for NU athletics.

As the point man for the fundraising arm of the department, he's in the middle of the facilities renaissance at NU and is leading the east Memorial Stadium expansion project.

He came up with the idea for the Husker Athletic Fund lunches. At the first lunch, last Wednesday, Meyers appeared on a video and introduced the next big thing: the idea of a $5 million to $10 million sports institute, as part of the East Stadium.

Meyers, who came up with the idea for the Ultimate Athlete Lab with Doak Ostergard (NU Outreach Director), told the lunch crowd the lab would be a cutting edge tool, like NU's weight program under Boyd Epley.

Meanwhile, Meyers was also in on the move of the Big Red Breakfasts to the Bo Pelini Foundation. And, helped re-energize the Husker Air Force program.

UNO Athletic Director Trev Alberts has written headlines this year. But the uber-popular Meyers has quietly positioned himself as a formidable candidate for the heir to Osborne's throne.

And to think, Meyers almost walked away from it all.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110806/BIGRED/708069837/-1#shatel-meyers-could-be-next-ceo-of-nu

I know we dont want to think about it, but TO is getting older and im sure he wont be doing this much longer. Any of you have a pick for the next AD? Trev Alberts? I dont like thinking about it either, but its inevitable.

Trev is no where even close to being ready for the position. He needs alot more experience!! Finish up at UNO, move on to bigger place with more going on, then onto mid to upper mid tier D1 school. The guy is young and still VERY new at the job. NU is no place for someone with so little experience!!

Ehh, I'll file this under "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it". Dr. Oz still has a lot left in the ol' tank and I don't see any reason to speculate on a scenario that in my view probably won't happen in the next five or so years. Heck the man's a spring chicken compared to JoPa and he's still alive and kickin'...... well, he's still alive anyway.

Trev is an absolute joke and would be the second coming of pederson. Lets just make sure that does not happen! I've seen what he has done to UNO and it is nothing short of tyranny. He has demoralized the entire campus and shut down entire programs because of personal vendettas. He is untrustworthy, unmoral and would digress the university immensely. He has a tenth of what it would take to grow and maintain the Husker tradition and name. Don't even mention him being a candidate because that would be devastating to the university!