Beck: Dont get something to eat when the O has the ball

Holy snikes! Did he just say that he will do with this offensive whatever the players are capable of and feel comfortable with. You mean, you build your scheme around the talent you have? Wait a minute Shawn Watson? Your telling me your not supposed to try to shove the same offense down the kids throats when you just don't have the players to execute that 300 page thick playbook of yours? Genius!

Haha, the 300-page-thick playbook that had very little variety in plays last year? All year long, "why don't we run this, why don't we run that. Same plays over and over."

Last year, once Taylor earned the starting job, the offense was built around his strengths, i.e, the zone read play (granted, often with a pre-assigned 'read').

Rhetoric :rolleyes: not reality.

The reason we will do better or not this year on offense will come down to how well Beck gets his players to buy in, and how good of a teacher he is. Both signs are nothing but positive, in my uninformed opinion anyway.

Given that Watson was accused of constantly changing up his offenses, I find it amusing that he is now considered someone who shoved the same offense down people's throats, as opposed to adapting based on the talents and abilities of the guys on the team. He did that. It just didn't turn out very well in the end, for a variety of reasons.

Holy snikes! Did he just say that he will do with this offensive whatever the players are capable of and feel comfortable with. You mean, you build your scheme around the talent you have? Wait a minute Shawn Watson? Your telling me your not supposed to try to shove the same offense down the kids throats when you just don't have the players to execute that 300 page thick playbook of yours? Genius!

Haha, the 300-page-thick playbook that had very little variety in plays last year? All year long, "why don't we run this, why don't we run that. Same plays over and over."

Last year, once Taylor earned the starting job, the offense was built around his strengths, i.e, the zone read play (granted, often with a pre-assigned 'read').

Rhetoric :rolleyes: not reality.

The reason we will do better or not this year on offense will come down to how well Beck gets his players to buy in, and how good of a teacher he is. Both signs are nothing but positive, in my uninformed opinion anyway.

Given that Watson was accused of constantly changing up his offenses, I find it amusing that he is now considered someone who shoved the same offense down people's throats, as opposed to adapting based on the talents and abilities of the guys on the team. He did that. It just didn't turn out very well in the end, for a variety of reasons.

Completely agree...... the only coach that should be accused of shoving an offense down the players throats is working for the NYJets.

In 2009 we adapted to what we could do on offense with a killer defense and a QB with a bum elbow, which was pretty much nothing.

In 2010 we adapted to what a freshman QB could do with his feet and kept it very vanilla against stronger competition.

My guess is the Tenn-Chatanooga game will look a lot like the spring game. We probably won't get to see anything of substance till Fresno st.

Oh god, I hope not. We have a new system, and it's an up-tempo, no huddle system. We need live fire game time to work out the kinks and get it running smoothly. Makes no sense to run something completely different, and then change it up all of a sudden closer to real deal time. I guess it might catch our first few conference opponents off guard, but it won't make a difference later on and it's counteracted anyway by not being able to "do what we do" well enough because we spent games pretending to be something else.

I am OK with it being vanilla, but not like the Spring Game, which I think was just total smokescreen. Same as all this option we seem to be running.

I was going to say you're an idiot, but that would be a personal attack and against the rules, so I won't...

;)

You know... the more I think about this, though. What are we supposed to expect our new OC to say?

"Well, I guess we will see if this offensive gameplan works... not really sure right now since we have never tried it.. I mean, it sounds good in theory, right?"

We would have Husker Fans jumping off bridges.

I agree the Spring Game was smoke and vanilla. We will run Pistol and Spread Option and throw some under-center in there I believe as well. I would call that a "Multiple Option" offense [there's that word again! ;)] If that seems to be the case if we are truly running a lot of option, zone read, etc.

I swear I've heard a lot of people on this board confirming they've seen "Option out of almost every formation" when they got glimpses of the offense in the spring and summer.

If it was truly a smoke screen, why would there be multiple people confirming it? And by multiple people I mean like 2-3 people that have posted on this board.

My guess is the Tenn-Chatanooga game will look a lot like the spring game. We probably won't get to see anything of substance till Fresno st.

Oh god, I hope not. We have a new system, and it's an up-tempo, no huddle system. We need live fire game time to work out the kinks and get it running smoothly. Makes no sense to run something completely different, and then change it up all of a sudden closer to real deal time. I guess it might catch our first few conference opponents off guard, but it won't make a difference later on and it's counteracted anyway by not being able to "do what we do" well enough because we spent games pretending to be something else.

I am OK with it being vanilla, but not like the Spring Game, which I think was just total smokescreen. Same as all this option we seem to be running.

You think all the option we're running in practice is a smokescreen?

Time will tell. It's just a guess. I'm not sure if that is really Taylor's style but I could be wrong. More than that, we know that they're making a pretty concerted effort to keep the new offense under wraps so far. And at the same time, it's like they are screaming "HEY LOOK, WE'RE RUNNING ALL THESE OPTION PLAYS."

If it's a part of the offense at all next year, I suspect it'll be a pretty small package of the whole thing.

Time will tell. It's just a guess. I'm not sure if that is really Taylor's style but I could be wrong. More than that, we know that they're making a pretty concerted effort to keep the new offense under wraps so far. And at the same time, it's like they are screaming "HEY LOOK, WE'RE RUNNING ALL THESE OPTION PLAYS."

If it's a part of the offense at all next year, I suspect it'll be a pretty small package of the whole thing.

Well, they are practicing the option during practice, and if the only reason they're doing it is to mislead other teams, then they should all be fired, because that would be the dumbest and least efficient way to practice I've ever heard of.

They are making an effort to keep the offense under wraps but they haven't said anything about option. People have simply made those deductions from watching highlights from practice or seeing practice itself.

Furthermore, the fact that people know we're working on option football isn't exactly going to help any defense prepare for us without seeing our blocking schemes or knowing the tendencies of our coaches and players. Knowing that we're including option in our scheme, whether it's a lot of the new offense or a little of it, is roughly like knowing we're including slant routes in our scheme. At this point, nobody is going to change the way their team is preparing because of that knowledge.

Pelini has expressed a desire to play some version of option football on offense since he was hired, and the offense has steadily moved towards that over the past couple of years. At this point, I'll be pretty surprised if they aren't running a fair amount of option.

First off I think its hilarious how pathetic our offense has been but when you look how poor we were on defense when pelini took over and you look at our recruiting its evident we had no talent offensively. Look at how many freshman have a legit chance to play on offense. I promise no defensive starter or even backup will be a freshman unless injuries hit. Point being we realized we had to change offensively so we recruited speed and are hoping to use it. If I hear multiple too many more times I'm gonna kick someone in the nuts. We will hopefully play aggressive and run using option, play action, screens, slants, and mis direction and let young speedsters loose. Whatever you call that is what it is. Hope it works or all of our blood pressures will be at dangerous levels come Sept.

I have no problem with what he said.

I will have a problem if we're not stomping the guts out of "U-dub", and winning by only 10 points, because our offensive looked like a bunch of monkeys trying to f*ck a football. If the line play falls on its ass, the penalties pile up, and the guys hang on to the ball like it's covered in goat sh*t, then you'll hear the same thing you heard on the board less than 6 months ago...

Well, they are practicing the option during practice, and if the only reason they're doing it is to mislead other teams, then they should all be fired, because that would be the dumbest and least efficient way to practice I've ever heard of.

I'm not saying that is the only reason they are practicing it! I am saying they are blowing up the proportion of it being run by choosing to allow a lot of it to be released as practice highlight footage. I agree that it will make minimal difference anyways.

We shall see, on the amount of option we'll be running.

^ "Read option" wouldn't fall under this category, by the way. That is some form of option, isn't it? I'm talking about 1999, Eric Crouch runs to the sideline and pitches it to Dan Alexander, option.

If it was truly a smoke screen, why would there be multiple people confirming it? And by multiple people I mean like 2-3 people that have posted on this board.

I think you guys are missing the point of "smoke screen." Multiple people are supposed to see it. But anyway, I want to stress that how much option we will or won't run is something I have no idea of, but am just tossing out this line of thought.