Baker ready to turn up the heat

Baker Steinkuhler has never lacked for good examples.

The Nebraska defensive tackle grew up watching his brother, Ty, a technically sound lineman who finished his Husker career as a starter for coach Bo Pelini in 2008.

After redshirting that season, Baker Steinkuhler was a reserve in 2009 when Ndamukong Suh was the Associated Press player of the year. He then started alongside second-team All-American Jared Crick in 2010.

"Any time you can watch someone and learn a little bit of their craft, it's a great opportunity," Steinkuhler said Wednesday.

The junior feels as if he's reached a point, however, where simply being associated with those kinds of players isn't good enough anymore.

Crick is back and the preseason pick for Big Ten defensive player of the year, but Steinkuhler sees his own chance for taking things up a notch. The 6-foot-6, 290-pounder now has the experience of starting 13 career games and said he has come out of the offseason stronger and faster than before.

"I just can't sit back and let him do all the work," Steinkuhler said. "I want to match that, if not be better than him, so I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with that."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110810/BIGRED/708109721/-1#baker-ready-to-turn-up-the-heat

2nd round pick seems like a stretch at this point.

Lets see it Stein! Id really like for him to have a breakout year, but if not there are a few lined up behind him who should be hungry for pt.

Baker Steinkuhler has never lacked for good examples.

The Nebraska defensive tackle grew up watching his brother, Ty, a technically sound lineman who finished his Husker career as a starter for coach Bo Pelini in 2008.

After redshirting that season, Baker Steinkuhler was a reserve in 2009 when Ndamukong Suh was the Associated Press player of the year. He then started alongside second-team All-American Jared Crick in 2010.

"Any time you can watch someone and learn a little bit of their craft, it's a great opportunity," Steinkuhler said Wednesday.

The junior feels as if he's reached a point, however, where simply being associated with those kinds of players isn't good enough anymore.

Crick is back and the preseason pick for Big Ten defensive player of the year, but Steinkuhler sees his own chance for taking things up a notch. The 6-foot-6, 290-pounder now has the experience of starting 13 career games and said he has come out of the offseason stronger and faster than before.

"I just can't sit back and let him do all the work," Steinkuhler said. "I want to match that, if not be better than him, so I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with that."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110810/BIGRED/708109721/-1#baker-ready-to-turn-up-the-heat

2nd round pick seems like a stretch at this point.

Lets see it Stein! Id really like for him to have a breakout year, but if not there are a few lined up behind him who should be hungry for pt.

agreed, his time for talking is over, bring it or move over.

That article says that he's in good shape and feeling more mobile, but to be honest I wish he would have beefed up. Not that I think he should be out of shape, but unless they plan on playing him outside I think he should be in the 300 lb range especially going up against B1G o-lineman. To be honest, I think he and Crick may be a little undersized for this conference.

That article says that he's in good shape and feeling more mobile, but to be honest I wish he would have beefed up. Not that I think he should be out of shape, but unless they plan on playing him outside I think he should be in the 300 lb range especially going up against B1G o-lineman. To be honest, I think he and Crick may be a little undersized for this conference.

Really?

Jared Crick - 285 lbs

Baker Steinkuhler - 290 lbs

Additionally, both are very tall - 6'7 and 6'6 respectively. At 285 and 290 lbs, you usually look for a short and stout player that gets under the OL's pads easily...so these guys are both unusually tall and a little bit on the light side, both of which works against them in the same way. But their athleticism makes up for it. You can't tell a whole story with height and weight anyway. But I guess T's point was that they aren't these 6'3, 315-lb type guys. Will that be the new model for the kind of DT we are looking for? I don't know.

I don't think 10 lbs is going to make a huge difference. We faced plently of NFL caliber linemen in the Big 12-3. People are making the Big Ten out to be something it isn't.

• Fire 3

wonder if holding is as commonplace in big 10 as it was in the big 12. in the big 12 no reason not to put your line with wide splits and throw it 70pct and just tell your guys to grab jersey

Good point! I remember more than a few times seeing Crick's or Stache's jerseys all ripped up and nary a holding call was made. Those were either some really weak-ass jerseys or there were less flags than should have been thrown.

I don't think 10 lbs is going to make a huge difference. We faced plently of NFL caliber linemen in the Big 12-3. People are making the Big Ten out to be something it isn't.

You don't think out D struggled when teams ran right at us last year? I'm not saying Crick and Stein aren't great, but just a little undersized. I guarantee were going to get a heavy dose of teams trying to force us to stop the run.

You don't think out D struggled when teams ran right at us last year? I'm not saying Crick and Stein aren't great, but just a little undersized. I guarantee were going to get a heavy dose of teams trying to force us to stop the run.

At times, yes they struggled. Are you suggesting Jared and Baker being a little undersized was the whole entire reason for that? A lot went into those struggles.

At times, yes they struggled. Are you suggesting Jared and Baker being a little undersized was the whole entire reason for that? A lot went into those struggles.

No, definitely not suggesting that they struggled because they were undersized last year because the D was constructed to deal with the pass happy big12 offenses, but what I am suggesting is that although they were perfectly sized to deal with the big12 offenses, I feel they may be undersized when it comes to the weekly grind of dealing with B1G offenses like Wisc, Mich st, Mich, Penn st etc.