Husker WR Renaissance?

knapplc

Who says he was never good at that? Show me the link where Bo Pelini says so. He made numerous completions on precision timing throws last year.

Kidding aside, this will put a premium on QB-WR being on the same page. There's been talk of how this is better for college athletes. I think there's a lot of merit to that and hopefully it bears fruit in year 1!

Will be very interested to see how this scheme works when the rubber meets the road. In such an organic scheme where the qb REALLY has to know and be on the same page as his receivers I hope we can stay healthy. Should be interesting. At least it seems like we're in a better position to where newer guys can function and produce.

That last quote scares me.

Ya.... sounds like the chances of interceptions will greatly increase.

It should decrease. Receivers will have more freedom to get open, their routes will be less predictable and harder to read for DBs, and Taylor doesn't have to worry about precision-timing throws, which he was never great at.

Well it depends if Taylor and the WRs are on the same page, if the WR goes one way and Taylor thinks he was going to go the other way, that's an interception waiting to happen. If Taylor has to "intuit" what the WRs are going to do, they better have some serious chemistry and a solid understanding of how one another reads the field.

We definitely need a better receiving crew than last ten years.

Fixed that for ya.

Swift & Peterson were fine wrs. Sure wish we still had them.

Read my mind bshirt. Terrence Nunn was a damn good WR too. I know everyone has that image of him from the Game That Shall Not Be Named frozen in their minds, but he was solid. So was Purify.

The receiving group this year is definitely a talented bunch. As it has been for the past few years. The speed element has surely gone up big time with guys like Kyler Reed at TE, and the additions of Kenny Bell and Jamal Turner at the wideout position. To me, the receivers have not really been the biggest issue here nor will they be this year. We have to get a guy that can distribute the ball to them. We also have to have an offensive line that will give that Quarterback enough time to make his reads and find the best option. The best thing about this is that Beck sounds like he is really going to simplify things for the Quarterback. Giving him a select number of plays in which he is comfortable with to audible to at opportune times. Simplifying routes, simplifying blocking schemes, simplifying the whole damn offensive playbook......I think this was preached for years under the Watson regime. Thank the Lord that time is over. I just can't wait to see this new offense executed.

Fixed that for ya.

I'd have to disagree there. Anyone remember the stats Nunn put up in his career or can anyone remember Frantz not getting playing time after his breakout game against KU! Nunn, Swift, Purify, Hardy, Paul, Holt, Peterson, Brooks and throw in Marlon Lucky and you have a nice collective group of talent to throw to. We just didin't have the right staff and the same can be said about that season's secondary

Fixed that for ya.

I'd have to disagree there. Anyone remember the stats Nunn put up in his career or can anyone remember Frantz not getting playing time after his breakout game against KU! Nunn, Swift, Purify, Hardy, Paul, Holt, Peterson, Brooks and throw in Marlon Lucky and you have a nice collective group of talent to throw to. We just didin't have the right staff and the same can be said about that season's secondary

Unfortunately of all those WR's you named, only a few could be counted on to catch the ball. I really have no clue how you would even mention Niles Paul in terms of a receiver, that boy couldn't catch a cold in the dead of winter. If he did happen to get lucky enough to actually catch the damn ball, he'd make himself fumble then the next day cry about how he's not getting the ball enough. You can't teach a kid to catch the ball, i'd hope he'd have figured that out long before a scholarship to a D1 school. He's gone now though, and to be honest, i'm extremely glad. I wont have to have absolutely no faith what so ever in Niles Paul to do what receivers do, catch the ball.

Just my opinion though, yours may vary.

He's gone now though, and to be honest, i'm extremely glad.

I don't revel in saying it, but I agree completely. I don't remember ever being as scared by a player touching the football as I was with him. Every time he managed to catch it I wanted him to get down before he fumbled it. It's just a huge, huge relief.

Fixed that for ya.

Unfortunately of all those WR's you named, only a few could be counted on to catch the ball. I really have no clue how you would even mention Niles Paul in terms of a receiver, that boy couldn't catch a cold in the dead of winter. If he did happen to get lucky enough to actually catch the damn ball, he'd make himself fumble then the next day cry about how he's not getting the ball enough. You can't teach a kid to catch the ball, i'd hope he'd have figured that out long before a scholarship to a D1 school. He's gone now though, and to be honest, i'm extremely glad. I wont have to have absolutely no faith what so ever in Niles Paul to do what receivers do, catch the ball.

Just my opinion though, yours may vary.

Sounds like Taylor Martinez is relieved, too.