B10's Countermove?

Creed

First choice, Second choice or third choice...either way it was a GREAT choice..I bet the husker fans are sitting back saying "whew we got out while the going was good"

I believe the Big will expand to 16..by necessity rather than choice...Super conferences are here...OU TX OSU and TT are headed West..A&M to the SEC with? who knows

ND is CRAZY if they dont join and join soon..4 16 team leagues makes them on the outside looking In probably for a long long time and their lack of conference affiliation has hurt the FB program the last 10-15 years

When its all said and done I think they will see the writing on the wall and join the Big 10..THEN Missouri Syracuse Ga Tech and pitt/maryland/VA or BC or some combination there of...

Ga Tech you ask? Atlanta TV market and entry into the South they have a good athletic program and are a great academic school...Atl is nonstop flight for just about everyone...Also...its NOT about Geography anymore

Mizzou fits well good athletics, good academics, good TV markets

Syracuse Great BB school...NY markets good academics, decent Football history, still considered a big name school

the Final team could be any number of candidates..If I had to guess..Maryland or Pitt..Maryland for DC Balt markets or Pitt Partner for Penn St, TV sets, good name recognition, good FB and BB

Darkhorses..Kansas, BC...

I personaly have mised feelings but one thing the Big10 has been horrible at is keeping up with the Times...Lets hope that isnt the case this time

• 2 weeks later...

B1G better get off its rear stat or else it will be the only major conference with 12 teams or add 4 "stage 5 clingers" (Wedding Crashers). It's top eastern targets are gone now. Texas, OU are likely headed out west. Who know what ND wants to do. B1G better be talking with Missouri, Maryland and Kansas.

What exactly is the problem with having 12 teams?

If B10 has only 12 teams and on avg only 3-4 are top 25 teams then SOS hurts compared to other 16 team conferences that might have 6-7 top teams. A 1 loss B10 team may lose out to a 2 loss SEC, ACC, PAC team based on SOS.

Well then, you'd better add top 25 caliber teams. I hear people talking about Kansas, Missouri, BC, Rutgers, etc. Those teams are NOT going to raise the SOS. 4 ranked teams out of 12 looks a lot better than 4 out of 16.

As Nexus said the only problem with twelve is that Notre Dame isn't one of the twelve. It looks to me that ND will be willing to join now so I'd bet 14 teams will be the next step. It will be interesting to see what they do for the fourteenth team, do they offer to pay the increased ACC buyout for Ga Tech or Maryland? Do they go after a Big East school that has no buyout like TCU, Cincinnati, or South Florida? They wouldn't go after Navy would they? They could try a Big XII school like Kansas or Missouri. Could they woo Vanderbilt away from the SEC where they don't fit very well? There are so many options for the fourteenth school and yet none of them are really very good, it does make exciting talk though.

Well then, you'd better add top 25 caliber teams. I hear people talking about Kansas, Missouri, BC, Rutgers, etc. Those teams are NOT going to raise the SOS. 4 ranked teams out of 12 looks a lot better than 4 out of 16.

That is a problem for the B10. The only top 25 teams that make any sense are Missouri and ND. After that they would need outside the box thinking like Texas (yes, I know the baggage), OU, some ACC teams. I do not want any Big East teams.

The dream four for me are ND, Texas, Missouri and Kansas.

If B10 has only 12 teams and on avg only 3-4 are top 25 teams then SOS hurts compared to other 16 team conferences that might have 6-7 top teams. A 1 loss B10 team may lose out to a 2 loss SEC, ACC, PAC team based on SOS.

Yeah but that only applies if you are adding top 25 teams. Pitt and Syracuse are NOT top ranked teams. Adding Texas A&M to the SEC helps them but how much? You still have schools like Vandy and Ole miss to pad your records but eventually a conference will get so water down that all teams will have 2-3 losses every year. The SEC is being given the benefit of the doubt right now so they had a 2 loss LSU team make it in. But no 2 loss SEC team at this point in time would beat out an undefeated team for the B1G.

The only thing I'm worried about, and this is probably just my paranoia more than anything, but if we do get superconferences, and that leads to a playoff, what if they put a regulation that your conference needs 16 teams to qualify for entry into that playoff. I don't know if that's even a possibility, but if that's the case I'd hope we're acting fast. Obviously Notre Dame is the prized hog, but Mizzou and Kansas are both AAU schools that would bring something athletically. As far as the 16th, I'm not sure where you go. They could try to get into Texas with a TCU or Baylor, but they don't really add a whole lot other than access to Texas, which actually may be worth it. I say look at SMU, and strike a deal with Jerry world for them to play home games there, it could help set them up nicely, especially if June Jones stays on board.

Let's say the Big East falls on their face. Why cant the Big Ten look at a TCU again. I know they just joined the Big east, but who knows.

Gotta think ND is going to wait till super conferences start happening.

How about make a quick move and add Missouri,Rutgers, ND and then if you can get TCU grab them(that is super far south though) or stay in the area and grab a maryland.

I just dont like the idea of grabbing whoever just to fill 16. I would be happier with a strong 12 or 14 then a weak 16.

The only thing I'm worried about, and this is probably just my paranoia more than anything, but if we do get superconferences, and that leads to a playoff, what if they put a regulation that your conference needs 16 teams to qualify for entry into that playoff. I don't know if that's even a possibility, but if that's the case I'd hope we're acting fast. Obviously Notre Dame is the prized hog, but Mizzou and Kansas are both AAU schools that would bring something athletically. As far as the 16th, I'm not sure where you go. They could try to get into Texas with a TCU or Baylor, but they don't really add a whole lot other than access to Texas, which actually may be worth it. I say look at SMU, and strike a deal with Jerry world for them to play home games there, it could help set them up nicely, especially if June Jones stays on board.

I wouldn't worry about B1G being excluded in the superconference scenario. When the dust settles, ACC, SEC, B1G and Pac will have 16 teams. Big East will try and stay alive by inheriting the leftover Big 12 schools, but I'm not sure if it'll be viable enough to warrant AQ/BCS status?

Another thing to remember is that the BCS contracts are up in 2014. If the superconference era is in full effect by then, it's quite possible the BCS contracts won't be renewed since the supposed goal of superconferences is to have playoffs. This scenario also forces Notre Dame to join a conference if it wants to challenge for a national title. Even though Delany is anti-playoff, his best shot of landing Notre Dame is if the superconference/playoffs plan becomes the standard in the future since ND would no longer have their BCS deal to save them.

Regardless how this shakes out in the end, I'm at peace knowing Delany is in the driver's seat and will have B1G in good position for many years to come.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that I've read that if the superconference/playoffs era does become the standard, then its next goal is to break away from the NCAA altogether and form their own governing body regulated between the 4 superconferences.