B10's Countermove?

Creed

Assuming today's developments are legal only and AM will join the SEC, what will the B10 reaction be? The rumor yesterday was FSU, Clemson and Missouri were joining AM in the SEC. Those would be great adds for the SEC. If that happens and OU and OSU go PAC 12, will the Big 10 be behind in getting to 16 teams? I just don't see a lot of opportunities out there for decent midwestern and even eastern football schools. ND is out. I think the B10 needs to make a play for Missouri before the SEC grabs them.

Why does the B1G need to make a move at all? How often do you get to add a program of NU's stature, and are there many more out there that are comparable, aldo the money would have to be slplit with more teams if they are added. Food for thought, I for one am happy with the B1G staying put.

I think they're fine at 12 for now. Adding more would seem to be a knee jerk reaction at this point. I'll add that Notre Dame would change things, but doubt that will happen any time soon.

The act of adding them would be a knee-jerk reaction, but it would be prudent for the Big 10 to get a short list ready of possible candidates, as it's very plausible that there may be more moves or chain reactions (e.g. ACC raiding the Big East to go to 14) that they should plan for.

Now is a good time for the Big 10 to sit down and review their notes from the last go-around, if anything.

Why does the B1G need to make a move at all? How often do you get to add a program of NU's stature, and are there many more out there that are comparable, aldo the money would have to be slplit with more teams if they are added. Food for thought, I for one am happy with the B1G staying put.

Agreed but I worry about the B10 being left in the dust and the only major conference without 16 teams or left without many attractive options like Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt. Maybe I would like to know that they have a plan in place and are not just sitting back doing nothing. An SEC with AM, FSU, Clemson and Missouri is scary and there are not many teams the B10 could add that would keep them near the level of the SEC.

Agreed but I worry about the B10 being left in the dust and the only major conference without 16 teams or left without many attractive options like Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt. Maybe I would like to know that they have a plan in place and are not just sitting back doing nothing. An SEC with AM, FSU, Clemson and Missouri is scary and there are not many teams the B10 could add that would keep them near the level of the SEC.

I wouldn't worry to much. Remember last summer when Big 10 was suppose to go to 14 or 16 but stopped at 12. According to the reports those talks started in the Big 10 long before it was ever rummored about Nebraska or Missouri getting the offer. I have a good feeling that Delaney and the Big 10 office started shortly after adding Nebraska on who they will offer next to expand the conference.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/44899/big-tens-expansion-move-looks-even-better

So let's get this straight: Texas A&M had the moving vans revved up and ready to head to the SEC, only the SEC said why don't we cool things down a bit while schools like Missouri, Clemson and Florida State are waiting to see what happens.

All of which brings home one point when it comes to the league we cover in these parts. The Big Ten sure got its expansion right, didn't it?

Jim Delany and the conference leaders scooped up Nebraska last year when it looked like the Big 12 was fracturing and the Pac-16 thing was happening. Maybe the Big Ten doesn't make the move that quickly if not for those external circumstances, but in this case, swiftness and correctness went hand in hand.

The Cornhuskers have yet to play a game in their new league, but you can't find anyone who doesn't think this is a terrific fit. Nebraska not only matches geographically in the Big Ten, adding a natural rival with Iowa, but also philosophically in its style of play and fervent fan base. Most importantly, Nebraska is a marquee program and a national power. Even if the Huskers haven't been to a BCS game since the 2002 Rose Bowl disaster, they appear back on the rise under Bo Pelini.

I think if the move to super conferences happens, Notre Dame will be a lot more willing to join a conference. That alone adds a lot of worth. I'm not sure how Virginia Tech is academically, but they would add competition and a big market (Washington DC) if we were to pursue them. Missouri and Kansas would add academics similar to Nebraska, but not so much in the way of markets, I guess Kansas City and St. Louis. I honestly think those are the four teams to focus on. That said, a school like Maryland, Rutgers or possibly Pitt could possibly could pop up, but I doubt it. A team that isn't mentioned much, possibly Kentucky. They would definitely add to the basketball side of things.

Agreed, IRAfreak.

Plus, the Big 10 met last December regarding expansion plans--the public output of that was that expansion was going to be placed on hold, but I'm sure they had an idea the Big XII wasn't going to last.

They know what schools they want that are left and what they can realistically obtain. Missouri probably knows this as well, which is why they were going hot and heavy for a SEC invite behind the scenes. The Big 10 will likely go with Maryland or Rutgers for media markets, Kansas (if they can separate from K-State), and wait on the other two spots to see if the Big East collapses and they can make an opportune offer to Notre Dame again to join.

You guys are crazy if you think Jim Delaney doesn't already have a short list and isn't following this thing very closely.

This is most certainly true. Delany already has his short list, and "what if" conversations have already been had with the candidates.

Let's put it this way - the Big Ten and Nebraska didn't just start flirting with each other last Spring. Conversations between the Big Ten and candidate schools started as far back as the summer of 2009, depending on who you talk to. Nebraska wasn't the only school with whom the subject was broached, either, and some of those other schools weighed options.

It is only prudent to have contingency plans in place, even if they're highly unlikely to ever be used. Jim Delany is a prudent man, and the Big Ten is a prudent conference.

You guys are crazy if you think Jim Delaney doesn't already have a short list and isn't following this thing very closely.

This is most certainly true. Delany already has his short list, and "what if" conversations have already been had with the candidates.

Let's put it this way - the Big Ten and Nebraska didn't just start flirting with each other last Spring. Conversations between the Big Ten and candidate schools started as far back as the summer of 2009, depending on who you talk to. Nebraska wasn't the only school with whom the subject was broached, either, and some of those other schools weighed options.

It is only prudent to have contingency plans in place, even if they're highly unlikely to ever be used. Jim Delany is a prudent man, and the Big Ten is a prudent conference.

Because of this is what makes me think Delaney and the B1G have plans A-D ironed out for all of the what ifs and working on a plan E if necessary.