Memorial Stadium

If they are going around the loudest stadiums then I can see why nebraska wouldnt be in the top 15..maybe around 15-20. Florida, lsu, ohio state, penn state, wisconsin, oregon, tennessee, clemson, Texas AM, and texas are all louder than our stadium. USC, Oklahoma, Florida State, Georgia and alabama might be louder than our stadium.

I am hoping that with the new stadium renovations the stadium will be louder. Having the east side and west side taller may help trap the noise from the sides. Also, hopefully as time goes on a younger crowd will infiltrate the stadium the baby boomers are getting older and likely will be giving up there tickets to a younger crowd in the next decade would be my guess.....hopefully.

I am curious, has the guy that wrote that piece ever been to another stadium? Asking if any other major college football program has more than five tv screens in their stadium. I can't tell if he is being sarcastic with that or attempting to make a point, if its the latter, that has to be one of the more ridiculous statements. Don't want to bust his chops too bad, but that made me chuckle. Perhaps I read it incorrectly.

I'm pretty sure he was just making a point. We have one of the largest screens in the country, plus 4 additional big HD screens and I think that some people get used to just watching those instead of being involved in the game (getting loud on 3 down, etc).

Very first Husker game I went to, had an old man grab my 13-year old cousin and force him down into his seat because he cheered when we scored a touchdown. That was back in 1992 vs Arizona State.

I'm not saying it happens ALL the time, but it does happen. I've seen it happen other times throughout the years, not to me, but some other people around me.

I've been going to games at Memorial Stadium for over 20 years, and I've not only never had this happen to me (and I stand pretty much the whole game), but I've never seen it happen. And for about 12 years of that time I sat in row 5, North stadium.

I'm sure it's happened several times, probably several times a game. But for as much griping about the "blue hairs" as you see, you would think it happens all the time, everywhere, at every game. I'm saying it's more urban legend than frequent occurrence.

Exactly. North Stadium. Go sit in West Stadium, then formulate an opinion.

Memorial stadium is not difficult to play at. It just isn't. The only reason it was difficult before is because of how good the teams were. Not the fans being loud and rowdy. Nebraska will never be an intimidating place to play, for the opponent anyway.

Anyone that thinks people don't complain about others standing forget that was the basis for moving the student section to the cheap seats.

"We're doing what we can to be fair," Osborne said. "But I just have to tell you, people who buy a ticket are entitled to see a game, so it wasn't happening. That's why this move has been made."

It's the same throughout the rest of the stadium, as many others can attest.

Exactly. North Stadium. Go sit in West Stadium, then formulate an opinion.

Do you have regular seats in West Stadium, or have you acquired tickets from someone selling them?

Not regular seats. I've sat there with family friends though when one of them don't go on occasion. Only club level though. Not down in the "bowl"

I can only speak for people I know in West Stadium. Not myself.

This’ll get me BBQ’d here, I know, but very honest observation from a not-so-blue-hair… I’m about a 50/50 standing-sitting guy myself. Three standing circumstances are absolute: 1. Entire stretch of pre-game crank up / tunnel walk, plus much of first quarter. 2. Pure emotional reaction (to whatever is happening on the field). 3. Jacking up our defense on the field.

Having said that... Why does standing or being berserk have to be constant throughout the course of the entire game? I mean, I’m smart enough to watch the TV ref with the orange arms, for instance, and in today’s televised games, especially those with a national audience, we all know nuthin’s happening for 10 minutes here… Geez, take a break, sit down and chat with those around you, slap people on the back, bitch about the calls, get to know your fellow Husker fans, whatever.

Just a thought, but I think it’s the constant ‘contrived’ stuff that drives the blue hairs nuts – it’s just different from the student section, where the breaks in the game are all about passing around the Everclear, cracking up your buds, and planning your conquest of the hottie two rows below… (I know, cause I’ve done that too.)

Grill away…

The bizarre thing is that we continue to be highly rated when it comes to our game day experience, as evidenced by SI's latest issue:

bestgameday.jpg

This is a bizarre contrast to the allegations of bitter blue-hairs yelling "down in front" all game long. How do we explain this?

you can go to a game and have a great game day experience, yet the crowd isn't standing and going crazy with others yelling to sit down.

I havent been to a game in awhile, in fact last one I went to Solich was still in town. I go with the flow of the crowd, if they stand I stand if they sit I sit. I however am very vocal during the game and often scream about how stupid the refs are. I've always had a great time, even though I think our stadium could/should be a lot more intimidating as a fan base.

I've definitely seen blue-hairs in Memorial Stadium tell people to sit down, on several occasions. I've never been told to sit down myself, but I always just try to follow the rest of the crowd. If people in front of you stand, you stand. If the people in front of you sit down, you sit.

With that said, making Memorial Stadium an intimidating environment has nothing to do with people sitting or standing. It has to do with noise. You can make just as much noise sitting down as you can standing up. I haven't seen a blue-hair ever tell anyone to be quiet. If THAT actually happens, somebody should just put them out of their misery.

I've definitely seen blue-hairs in Memorial Stadium tell people to sit down, on several occasions. I've never been told to sit down myself, but I always just try to follow the rest of the crowd. If people in front of you stand, you stand. If the people in front of you sit down, you sit.

With that said, making Memorial Stadium an intimidating environment has nothing to do with people sitting or standing. It has to do with noise. You can make just as much noise sitting down as you can standing up. I haven't seen a blue-hair ever tell anyone to be quiet. If THAT actually happens, somebody should just put them out of their misery.

I agree standing isn't needed to be loud. The way I see it standing only helps being intimidating is when your right next to the action like in basketball.

The bizarre thing is that we continue to be highly rated when it comes to our game day experience, as evidenced by SI's latest issue:

bestgameday.jpg

This is a bizarre contrast to the allegations of bitter blue-hairs yelling "down in front" all game long. How do we explain this?

Uh, because it was an internet poll.

We win every internet poll.