No more expanding!

MichiganMan

Adding Nebraska was the final piece of the puzzle for the Big 10. (And I have yet to meet anyone who has anything bad to say about this) 12 teams is enough. With 12 teams we get a conference title game. What made Nebraska appealing was their athletic and acedemic standards. Adding Rutgers and Notre Dame is out of the questions. Or anyone else as far as I'm concerned. I don't want a "super conference." I feel you should be able to play most in your conference each year. and with the Big 10 going to a 9 game conference schedule this is awesome. Its going to cut the "cupcake" our of everyones schedule each year. This talk of potentially having to expand even more needs to stop.

Adding Nebraska was the final piece of the puzzle for the Big 10. (And I have yet to meet anyone who has anything bad to say about this) 12 teams is enough. With 12 teams we get a conference title game. What made Nebraska appealing was their athletic and acedemic standards. Adding Rutgers and Notre Dame is out of the questions. Or anyone else as far as I'm concerned. I don't want a "super conference." I feel you should be able to play most in your conference each year. and with the Big 10 going to a 9 game conference schedule this is awesome. Its going to cut the "cupcake" our of everyones schedule each year. This talk of potentially having to expand even more needs to stop.

Expansion has more to do with moving parts and the potential collapse of the Big XII now than it did. If the other leagues expand, you're put in a position where you need to expand to remain competitive.

• Fire 1

Expansion has more to do with moving parts and the potential collapse of the Big XII now than it did. If the other leagues expand, you're put in a position where you need to expand to remain competitive.

With the impending collaspe of the Big12 the BigTen will be forced to expand along with SEC, Pac12, MWC. I could really see the conference going after Mizzou/Iowa State or KU/KState to expand to atleast 14 teams by 2014.

I don't see why we would be forced to expand, unless the BCS is replaced with a tourney and the NCAA says that there will be 4 (or 6 or 8) 16 team conferences, who will have a conference championship to feed into the tourney. They don't enforce conference limit sizes in basketball, so I don't see why they would for football. If it goes to 4 conferences X 16 teams, it would mean the Big East collapses too, and I don't see signs of that.

16 teams increases conference revenues, but also makes you cut the pie into more pieces.

Someone please tell me what I'm missing and why we would be forced to expand, and who would be doing the forcing.

It didn't happen when the SEC went to 12 teams and played a CCG in 1992. It took 5 years for another conference to go to 12 (Big 12), another 7 for the next (ACC), and another 8 for 2 more (Big 10 and Pac 12, with the Big 12 dropping back), and the Big East still hasn't. And 12 was a pretty important number since it enabled a championship game. 16 doesn't buy you anything except for 4 more teams to compete for your BCS spot(s).

I don't see why we would be forced to expand, unless the BCS is replaced with a tourney and the NCAA says that there will be 4 (or 6 or 8) 16 team conferences, who will have a conference championship to feed into the tourney. They don't enforce conference limit sizes in basketball, so I don't see why they would for football. If it goes to 4 conferences X 16 teams, it would mean the Big East collapses too, and I don't see signs of that.

16 teams increases conference revenues, but also makes you cut the pie into more pieces.

Someone please tell me what I'm missing and why we would be forced to expand, and who would be doing the forcing.

It didn't happen when the SEC went to 12 teams and played a CCG in 1992. It took 5 years for another conference to go to 12 (Big 12), another 7 for the next (ACC), and another 8 for 2 more (Big 10 and Pac 12, with the Big 12 dropping back), and the Big East still hasn't. And 12 was a pretty important number since it enabled a championship game. 16 doesn't buy you anything except for 4 more teams to compete for your BCS spot(s).

I don't understand it either. The WAC in the mid 90s was a 16 team league and look how that turned out. Just because a conference adds new members doesn't mean other conferences has too. The only reason SEC wants A&M is strictly recruiting in Texas. There is a point where if you have too many you water down a conference especially with mediocre teams just because you want to keep up with the joneses.

Super conferences are inevitable in my opinion. The Pac 10 was ready to go to 16 temas when the Big 12 nearly fell apart just last year. The pieces are already in motion. More teams equate to more revenue through expanded tv markets. The Big Ten already pays over 20 million dollars to each team and adding media markets would only increase this. The 16 team WAC is not comparable to the prospect of a super conference composed of major level programs. We left the Big 12 for a reason, and those still stuck there see the writing on the wall.