Interesting debate on USC

There is a debate going on, during 1620 the Zone USC. They are debateing T-MArts and other players saying that a successful year is winning a National Championship. Just wondering what you guys think? Is it there goals are to win the MNC or do they judge success as a championship or bust?

It's probably a mix of both. If they win a MNC, they've done everything they've needed to do and they've had a successful year. But playing for a MNC is the goal of every kid who plays at a major division one school, so it's not exactly like we're the only team that talks about it. Every school talks about it if they are in the position to win it.

That said, can you have have an 11-12 win season, make a BCS bowl, win it and call it a successful season? I think so. Can you lose three of your last four, including a bowl loss to a team you beat down earlier in the year, and call it an unsuccessful season? I think so.

• Fire 1

It's probably a mix of both. If they win a MNC, they've done everything they've needed to do and they've had a successful year. But playing for a MNC is the goal of every kid who plays at a major division one school, so it's not exactly like we're the only team that talks about it. Every school talks about it if they are in the position to win it.

That said, can you have have an 11-12 win season, make a BCS bowl, win it and call it a successful season? I think so. Can you lose three of your last four, including a bowl loss to a team you beat down earlier in the year, and call it an unsuccessful season? I think so.

Agreed. I think if Bo or Martinez got up there and said we'd be shooting for anything other than the MNC we'd be upset. We are a pre-season top 10-11 team. Granted, I think we are a little overrated, but I'm glad this is what our team has set for our goal. Bo wants it. If we win the big 10 there's obviously a decent shot. If we get the big 10 crown, I'm sure Bo won't call the season a failure.

Side note, it sounds like Mitch Sherman was really the only one saying we shouldn't be talking about the MNC as the goal.

WE ARE NEBRASKA.

The goal is a National Championship every year. We are exhilarated with a conference championship and pleased with a good bowl game.

On a closely related side note: Some of these mediatypes debating this have never played an organized sport at a high level before, and it is obvious. They don't understand the concept of a goal. It is what you are striving to attain. If Pelini's goal was anything less than to be the best damn football team in America every year, I wouldn't want him as our coach.

The pussification of America has taken over now. This "we have to be realistic so we aren't disappointed" crap has got to end. Sometimes being let down leads to growing up and being an adult. Sometimes you have to have your heart broken to understand why that goal is so hard to reach. Sometimes you have to get kicked in the nuts in order to get back up. If you can't get back up, then you aren't tough enough. Sorry, try something else.

Babying kids is so out of hand now it makes me sick. It isn't a coincidence that the lowering of standards and the fear of disappointment coincides with the drop of America's standing in the world.

Coddling is not the answer. If we are all treated like children, then children we will stay.

• Fire 2

WE ARE NEBRASKA , WHO HASNT WON A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP IN OVER A DECADE. Just because it "ought to be so" doesnt cut it anymore ...hope you are right though ...

WE ARE NEBRASKA.

The goal is a National Championship every year. We are exhilarated with a conference championship and pleased with a good bowl game.

On a closely related side note: Some of these mediatypes debating this have never played an organized sport at a high level before, and it is obvious. They don't understand the concept of a goal. It is what you are striving to attain. If Pelini's goal was anything less than to be the best damn football team in America every year, I wouldn't want him as our coach.

The pussification of America has taken over now. This "we have to be realistic so we aren't disappointed" crap has got to end. Sometimes being let down leads to growing up and being an adult. Sometimes you have to have your heart broken to understand why that goal is so hard to reach. Sometimes you have to get kicked in the nuts in order to get back up. If you can't get back up, then you aren't tough enough. Sorry, try something else.

Babying kids is so out of hand now it makes me sick. It isn't a coincidence that the lowering of standards and the fear of disappointment coincides with the drop of America's standing in the world.

Coddling is not the answer. If we are all treated like children, then children we will stay.

WE ARE NEBRASKA.

I am not a Nebraska guy, but I like everything else in this post.

WE ARE NEBRASKA.

Your screen name, your avatar, your signature, and your post...

All perfect.

I think I will follow you around on here and +1 whatever you say. Forever.

No matter if you play for Nebraska, USC, Texas, Wayne State, Chadron, or Lincoln Southeast the goal for every player/team is to win Championships.

Here at Nebraska we play for Championships.

If you played at my college, the goal was not to get completely embarassed every game :lol: