What did we learn???

walksalone

What did we learn???

We learned that there are fans who will never, ever be satisfied, no matter what.

It was the first game of the season with a new offense, new OC, new WR coach, new LB coach, new secondary coach, new assistant coach(es) on the O Line, and things were ragged.

Despite this, apparently there are a LOT of people who expected this game to go tremendously smoothly, and who are overwrought that it didn't.

It was a first game. There are things to work on. There were problems. The fact that this is the case is not the end of the world, or the end of any title run, or any indication of anything, other than that it was our first game.

Apparently a 33-point win just isn't what it used to be.

• Fire 4

What did we learn???

We learned that there are fans who will never, ever be satisfied, no matter what.

It was the first game of the season with a new offense, new OC, new WR coach, new LB coach, new secondary coach, new assistant coach(es) on the O Line, and things were ragged.

Despite this, apparently there are a LOT of people who expected this game to go tremendously smoothly, and who are overwrought that it didn't.

It was a first game. There are things to work on. There were problems. The fact that this is the case is not the end of the world, or the end of any title run, or any indication of anything, other than that it was our first game.

I learned that Bubba isn't on the team. When did that happen?

What did we learn???

I understand your sentiment, but this is what a message board is for, correct?

Imo, we didn't look like a top ten team today. Also, I thought that our kick off coverage was poor, for the most part.

What did we learn???

If I could +33 this it would not be enough.

I'd say it was pretty good for what it was the first game of the year but apparently not... (actually it was great compared to the near upsets we've seen.)

Unfortunately the '71 and '95 teams didn't coalesce into one big amorphous blob of awesome to form a new team in the off-season this year so we are probably screwed and will be forced to field this team... that is better then anything in the B1G.

What did we learn???

Imo, we didn't look like a top ten team today. Also, I thought that our kick off coverage was poor, for the most part.

What do message boards have to do with anything? Irrational expectations aren't limited to message boards. I've heard them on the radio, at a bar, at a dinner and on the phone tonight. That's what I'm talking about.

• Fire 1

And we also learned there are some people who will constantly make excuses for everything.

First game or not, new OC or not, blah blah...this game should have gone a good deal more smoothly. Period. They get paid to put a solid product on the field from the start of the season to the end.

40-7 is a good win and I'll take it. But it was pretty ugly. So I'm hoping it was just one of those times when the excuse makers are correct. I hope.

• Fire 1

There are plenty of places to freak out about every missed block and blown coverage assignment and bad qb decision that happened in a 40-7 win. Personally I don't get too involved in this stuff until we've played a few games. I give them a chance to grow, fix some mistakes, watch some film, and get some experience as a unit. Then I'll pass judgement.

• Fire 1

What did we learn???

What do message boards have to do with anything? Irrational expectations aren't limited to message boards. I've heard them on the radio, at a bar, at a dinner and on the phone tonight. That's what I'm talking about.

what did you want everyone to talk about?

-Martinez can't lead receivers (end pessimism)

-When BK knocks the rust off and Turner becomes the starter (before long) we're going to have nice group of WRs

-The dropoff in kicking/punting is not going to be as bad as we thought

-There's NO WAY Beck will let Kyler Reed get under utilized, if so, then yikes

-Abdullah has a bright future

-Crowd still sucks

-With Cassidy, Osborne, and Stafford, safety spot is looking solid

-Meredith is as good as advertised

-Justin Blatchford has no busniess playing DB

-Punt/KO coverage needs work

-Andrew Green = meh

-Ankrah was solid all around

Finally, I've come to terms with the fact that Bo's style of D (bend don't break), is always going to be good, but will always make me want to pull my hair out at times. It's a cruel irony.

• Fire 1

I am willing to bet that Martinez is not our QB at the end the year. I know Carnes looked like the true Freshman he is, but TMart's passing is never going to get any better.

Great point.

Who needs his big run threat? Carnes has "it" and he's ready to go.

Lets just pray TMart doesn't go down. We will be in trouble. If someone took an "it" factor away from Carnes today I sure as heck missed it.

Sorry EZ-E....I was being sarcastic (couldn't help myself). Again, my sincere apology.

There are plenty of places to freak out about every missed block and blown coverage assignment and bad qb decision that happened in a 40-7 win. Personally I don't get too involved in this stuff until we've played a few games. I give them a chance to grow, fix some mistakes, watch some film, and get some experience as a unit. Then I'll pass judgement.

I'm not one to freak out, if it seems like i am i'll tone it down. I just wish the game was a little crispier.

I just see anything new/different/better from Tmart in this first game. Exactly what is his upside? Did he magically become a better leader and passer over the summer? I do recall one play that he took sack rather then forcing it, so that was good. Due to storming, the t.v. was on and off, but I assume that all the players around Carnes were equally young/inexperienced? One or two of the options plays that Carnes pitched were scarey bad. But two drives hardly are indicative of his capability as a QB.

You don't see an upside? His upside is when he takes two steps and blazes past everybody for a touchdown run of arbitrary yardage. His upside is being able to work with much more open receivers downfield because defenses are so worried about stopping the run.

I think Taylor has improved from last year. It is awful hard to tell after one game, but there is no reason to start Carnes this year - barring as others have said, some sort of disaster from Taylor. We don't want to be going through freshman mistakes with Carnes especially when it would also mean thrusting him into a controversial spotlight. Ask Taylor how that went last year.

Taylor has the same strengths running the ball he's always had. That is what we are riding on with him, has been since the beginning and probably always will be. You can't really say yet that it won't work. We'll see where this year takes us. I suspect that if a QB battle is upcoming, Carnes will need to handle being the backup away from the spotlight well this year, and challenge in the Spring. Also, Taylor would need to have a bad year

Alright, who the hell stole zoogies password??

• Fire 1

Until we get a vertical passing game we are 8 or 9 win team at best. If Im a DC Im loading the box to stop Martinez, the chances or him hitting a receiver in stride are about 1 out of 10.

O line needs to improve. Martinez looked more comfortable out of the pistol than under center. Those big runs wont work against teams that have a pulse. Stafford is a stud, his hit on the running back was the most exciting part of the game. Defense is great give them some time to gel and will be a force by conference season.

Bring on Fresno State....... Im actually somewhat worried about this one.

-Martinez can't lead receivers (end pessimism)

-When BK knocks the rust off and Turner becomes the starter (before long) we're going to have nice group of WRs

-The dropoff in kicking/punting is not going to be as bad as we thought

-There's NO WAY Beck will let Kyler Reed get under utilized, if so, then yikes

-Abdullah has a bright future

-Crowd still sucks

-With Cassidy, Osborne, and Stafford, safety spot is looking solid

-Meredith is as good as advertised

-Justin Blatchford has no busniess playing DB

-Punt/KO coverage needs work

-Andrew Green = meh

-Ankrah was solid all around

Finally, I've come to terms with the fact that Bo's style of D (bend don't break), is always going to be good, but will always make me want to pull my hair out at times. It's a cruel irony.

I'll agree with this assessment, but I think A. Green needs some work but I saw some flashes of great potential. Give him time. GBR!