What did we learn???

walksalone

Another tidbit which had gotten to me is that it looked like T-Mart wasn't checking down at all to his receivers..he would make his first read to his main receiver, if he wasn't open, he would take off! AAHHH! There were plenty of other options and on many plays at least 1 to 2 guys wide open...BUT BUT BUT! Something that can easily be fixed if stressed. We are a work in progress on offense and there are plenty of small ticky tack fundamentals that we can get ironed out real quick and I bet we'll start seeing better offensive results from the team.

Until we get a vertical passing game we are 8 or 9 win team at best. If Im a DC Im loading the box to stop Martinez, the chances or him hitting a receiver in stride are about 1 out of 10.

O line needs to improve. Martinez looked more comfortable out of the pistol than under center. Those big runs wont work against teams that have a pulse. Stafford is a stud, his hit on the running back was the most exciting part of the game. Defense is great give them some time to gel and will be a force by conference season.

Bring on Fresno State....... Im actually somewhat worried about this one.

We are an 8 or 9 win team at best with no vertical passing eh? So the last two seasons were what?

Until we get a vertical passing game we are 8 or 9 win team at best. If Im a DC Im loading the box to stop Martinez, the chances or him hitting a receiver in stride are about 1 out of 10.

O line needs to improve. Martinez looked more comfortable out of the pistol than under center. Those big runs wont work against teams that have a pulse. Stafford is a stud, his hit on the running back was the most exciting part of the game. Defense is great give them some time to gel and will be a force by conference season.

Bring on Fresno State....... Im actually somewhat worried about this one.

We are an 8 or 9 win team at best with no vertical passing eh? So the last two seasons were what?

Just consider the source. We won 10 games in 2009 without a vertical passing game "or" a running game. We won 10 games in 2010 without a vertical passing game.

Heck, we won national championships in 1994, 95 & 97 without a vertical passing game.

We put big emphasis on "vertical passing game" under Callahan. In four years we never reached ten wins. However, we did reach losing seasons and monster blowout losses.

We have to be able to run the ball. That's our first priority.

I am willing to bet that Martinez is not our QB at the end the year. I know Carnes looked like the true Freshman he is, but TMart's passing is never going to get any better.

Don't tell Martinez that, his post-game quote was "Hopefully the receivers will continue working on catching the ball to make me look good." Wow, if that ain't cocky i don't know what is.

Beck's quote "I ran the same play over and over until it worked."

If this keeps up, our offense is in trouble.

Really? Now we're just blatantly making things up to dis Husker players?

I'm not going to beat up the offense much, because it's just not worth it right now. However, if what we saw yesterday is an indication of what the option will look like for us, then we are going to have ALOT of issues. Between the spacing issues, not forcing the lead man to commit, and the bad reads, I do not know which was worse.

It's not being over-dramatic to say that I have saw high school teams run the option better than we did yesterday.

Going to the defense ..

Blatchford and Thorell have no business playing. If you have trouble keeping up with UTC, what do you think will happen against better teams? Antonio Bell and Josh Mitchell both had good camps. Can they not take over on the outside, until Fonzie returns, and allow Andrew Green to slide into the nickel/PESO? Andrew's physical nature would be MUCH more suited playing there, because he is very similar to Gomes in that respect.

Get Stafford on the field. Do not care who is sacrificed to do it, you get the kid on the field. Do not let this be like Dejon Gomes where it took until the monsoon game at Mizzou for our coaching staff to realize a kids special nature and get him on the field as a starter.

Trevor Roach had a surprisingly good game. Not bad for his first big minutes at LB.

On the subject of LBs - we need some JUCO LBs in a hurry for next year. Not just any average guys either, some playmakers. If we lose Lavonte at any point this year, it is gonna be UGLY. Cannot believe we allowed ourselves to be this bad at LB.

That also brings me to Sean Fisher - besides being a 4* LB with hype behind him, what has he done? That kid looked so physically overmatched and out of place yesterday it was sad. And we were playing Chattanooga.

Crick was like Jekyll and Hyde yesterday. He would make a nice play, then for multiple plays after he would get washed out of a hole and display little effort. I know what his stat line was, but a reality is that Crick was getting pushed around ALOT by a line he should have ripped apart.

Cam was a straight up beast yesterday. Nothing else needs to be said on him.

Overall, a nice showing from our defense. Few things that worry me like the PESO spot and our LB depth, but overall very nice.

All I know is that this game gave Martinez haters just enough fodder to keep their momentum going from the end of last year.

Man, we're screwed without that guy. Love him or hate him, our offense is as useful as tits on a boar without him.

Exactly.

Geeesh....with marginal at best blocking Tmart rushes for 135 yds, 3 TDs, 7.1 ypc and 11 for 22 passing for 116 yds. What the hell do the haters want from the kid ?

Heck, if we started Carnes (despite the haters claim all off season he should start) we probably lose the damn game.

Oh well, at least they're consistent.

What did we learn???

Apparently a 33-point win just isn't what it used to be.

It is and it isn't. We played against an FCS team and are highly ranked. We should've beaten them by more or atleast shut them out. If we weren't ranked as high i would not be concerned. We shouldn't be seeing 4 field goals in the first game against a much lesser opponent. We need to turn those field goals into touchdowns.

I am willing to bet that Martinez is not our QB at the end the year. I know Carnes looked like the true Freshman he is, but TMart's passing is never going to get any better.

Don't tell Martinez that, his post-game quote was "Hopefully the receivers will continue working on catching the ball to make me look good." Wow, if that ain't cocky i don't know what is.

Sadly, this quote is not made up. More sadly, it was taken out of context to make Taylor sound cocky.

I don't believe Taylor is ever going to be "Mack Brown" when talking to the press. He will always be a little nervous, he will put things awkwardly. We, as fans, need to be able to translate his words.

He did say he hoped they kept working to make him look good. However, in the context of the question posed of him, I beleive he meant "they are working hard and I hope they continue to work hard. We all need to work hard. If they look good, I look good, and our offense as a whole looks good. I understand that the offense is a sum of its parts, me included."

He just says it awkwardly.

Sum fans need to chill out, and think about what the kid means and not what he says. Taylor Martinez = Yogi Berra!

He says it in his post game interview on www.omaha.com

Edited by funhusker

Sadly, this quote is not made up. More sadly, it was taken out of context to make Taylor sound cocky.

Yes, it is made up. This is more directed at fuzzy than you, but I'm starting to think people don't know what the word "quote" means. It means the EXACT thing the person said. Not some paraphrased summary that you make up in your head.

Actual Quote: "Hopefully they keep it up. Just keep on catching balls and keep on trying to make me look good."

Made up "quote": "Hopefully the receivers will continue working on catching the ball to make me look good."

Now, only a couple of the words are different, but in my opinion those words change its' meaning by a lot. One of them says hopefully they keep doing as well as they did today. The other says They need to get better because they dropped some of the passes. The made up quote is cocky. The real quote is not.

But like you (and a few other people) have said already, the most important thing is that it's completely out of context, because right before he said "All of the receivers are doing a great job right now."

• Fire 1

What we learned:

•  
  • Our D will give up some yards but not many points this year.
  • Crick, David, Meredith= studs, Fisher needs work. We will see more and more of Stafford as season goes on.
  • We have a kicker/ punter
  • Abdullah is gonna be good returning kicks
  • The offense has a long way to go but I think they have a pretty high ceiling. When plays range from gross to awesome it tells me that things are new but will get better.
  • Martinez got better in the pocket as the game went on- still needs work but he looked better. Accuracy still an issue. I'm pretty sure he audibled into the right play a couple of times (4th down touchdown).
  • Receivers need to learn to catch balls thrown near them but not perfectly too them. Enunwa looks like a bright spot.
  • Oline- TBD
  • Turner needs the ball more.

We rotated more players in and out yesterday than I recall at any point in previous seasons and that is a good thing.

• Fire 1

I don't believe Taylor is ever going to be "Mack Brown" when talking to the press. He will always be a little nervous, he will put things awkwardly. We, as fans, need to be able to translate his words.

He did say he hoped they kept working to make him look good. However, in the context of the question posed of him, I beleive he meant "they are working hard and I hope they continue to work hard. We all need to work hard. If they look good, I look good, and our offense as a whole looks good. I understand that the offense is a sum of its parts, me included."

He just says it awkwardly.

Sum fans need to chill out, and think about what the kid means and not what he says. Taylor Martinez = Yogi Berra!

He says it in his post game interview on www.omaha.com

lol- he is a little Yogi like

He is very literal and he really does mean it when says he hopes the receivers work hard to make him look good. He knows he a subpar passer and it's going to take some great catches to make him look as even an acceptable passer.

• Fire 1

The board is full of bizarre opinions right now but this is one of the most bizarre.

19 carries for 135 and 3 TD's.

11/22 passing for 116 on a day that many receivers dropped catchable balls. Not perfectly thrown balls but catchable balls. I thought in the 1st quarter he looked much like last year- 1st read and run. Once he settled in that stopped.

He's still got a ways to go but he is already very different from last year. Even in sideline demeanor. Last year he pissed down his leg in a bunch of games. This year we will have to see but the only way he isn't our QB is if he gets hurt.

• Fire 1