What did we learn???

walksalone

I am willing to bet that Martinez is not our QB at the end the year. I know Carnes looked like the true Freshman he is, but TMart's passing is never going to get any better.

Great point.

Who needs his big run threat? Carnes has "it" and he's ready to go.

Lets just pray TMart doesn't go down. We will be in trouble. If someone took an "it" factor away from Carnes today I sure as heck missed it.

I am willing to bet that Martinez is not our QB at the end the year. I know Carnes looked like the true Freshman he is, but TMart's passing is never going to get any better.

As crappy as TMart looked with his passing, I seriously doubt Carnes is going to take the starting job from him.

Both need to review some Frazier option running to see cutbacks in the option and get a lot better with the pitch/running back relationship.

Carnes has the better throwing motion (not hard to say, Martinez has sort of a half-sidearm really awkward and low throwing motion), but neither got the ball out great this game.

i guess i'm the only one that thought martinez passing wasn't so bad. Was really disappointed with our blocking and our O-line in general. we shouldn't get stuffed at the LOS or behind against any FCS team but whatever, hard to say how things will look next week.

He definately had some nice passes. He also had some not so nice passes. His WRs could have done more to help him. I understand that not all the passes were perfect, but if it hits your hands, you have to catch it. BK is usually sure-handed, but he looked like the second coming of Niles Paul out there today. He'll bounce back.

• Fire 1

1. People need to calm down about the offense. This is week one, game one. There were some issues, some confusion, but we have a few weeks to get it cleaned up. As long as the offense IMPROVES––which was never a feature under Watson––we'll be okay. Practice, practice, practice.

2. D-line got good pressure and we've got some physical guys at all levels.

3. 3 penalties. Much better. Keep that up and it'll be huge.

This sums my feelings up

Great point.

Lets just pray TMart doesn't go down. We will be in trouble. If someone took an "it" factor away from Carnes today I sure as heck missed it.

He wasn't given a chance to show anything today. I'd say the opposite: he was given the chance to struggle. I guess they really wanted to work on Brion with the option game, which is why almost every play we called with him was option left or option right.

What I take away from today: Brion is not good at running the option.

Would like to get the chance to see more of him in the next few games. Not for the sake of watching him personally, for the sake of preparing him in the event that Taylor goes down. I posted in another thread about this, but a surprise series in the 2nd quarter would do well.

Great point.

He wasn't given a chance to show anything today. I'd say the opposite: he was given the chance to struggle. I guess they really wanted to work on Brion with the option game, which is why almost every play we called with him was option left or option right.

Would like to get the chance to see more of him in the next few games. Not for the sake of watching him personally, for the sake of preparing him in the event that Taylor goes down. I posted in another thread about this, but a surprise series in the 2nd quarter would do well.

I just see anything new/different/better from Tmart in this first game. Exactly what is his upside? Did he magically become a better leader and passer over the summer? I do recall one play that he took sack rather then forcing it, so that was good. Due to storming, the t.v. was on and off, but I assume that all the players around Carnes were equally young/inexperienced? One or two of the options plays that Carnes pitched were scarey bad. But two drives hardly are indicative of his capability as a QB.

All I know is that this game gave Martinez haters just enough fodder to keep their momentum going from the end of last year.

Not a Tmart hater personally, but I really did expect a little bit better play from him as a sophmore. Today's game looked as if he took a step back. Not sure if it was the new offense or what. But...I did think he looked more comfortable when the offense went to a more hurry-up offense.

Great point.

I just see anything new/different/better from Tmart in this first game. Exactly what is his upside? Did he magically become a better leader and passer over the summer? I do recall one play that he took sack rather then forcing it, so that was good. Due to storming, the t.v. was on and off, but I assume that all the players around Carnes were equally young/inexperienced? One or two of the options plays that Carnes pitched were scarey bad. But two drives hardly are indicative of his capability as a QB.

Agree. Carnes is not an option guy. They need to run some packages that work for him. Unfortunately in that stage of the game you can't throw too much. I think they could of gotten him in a lot earlier though.

As far as Tmart, I don't think he panicked or froze as much. As the annoucer said he's got to quit staring down the receivers and get in better throwing position with his feet. His footwork is crap at times. One thing I think we will see in the bigger games are split screens and bubble screens.

You don't see an upside? His upside is when he takes two steps and blazes past everybody for a touchdown run of arbitrary yardage. His upside is being able to work with much more open receivers downfield because defenses are so worried about stopping the run.

I think Taylor has improved from last year. It is awful hard to tell after one game, but there is no reason to start Carnes this year - barring as others have said, some sort of disaster from Taylor. We don't want to be going through freshman mistakes with Carnes especially when it would also mean thrusting him into a controversial spotlight. Ask Taylor how that went last year.

Taylor has the same strengths running the ball he's always had. That is what we are riding on with him, has been since the beginning and probably always will be. You can't really say yet that it won't work. We'll see where this year takes us. I suspect that if a QB battle is upcoming, Carnes will need to handle being the backup away from the spotlight well this year, and challenge in the Spring. Also, Taylor would need to have a bad year