What were your expectations?

ladyhawke

Wow! Interesting weekend, eh? Our boys won but I think, from what I've read, they played 'below expectation'. I would be curious to hear what your expectations were for this game. I'll start with mine:

>I didn't think we would almost fumble the ball on the first kick off return.

>I thought our offense would've looked more diversified?

>I thought we would see different people run. Martinez ran way too much for my comfort. When he runs he also places himself into an opportunity to get hurt, which we can ill afford this season.

>While I thought our defense was good, why did we allow even 7 points? If they are our strength then why are we allowing points to be scored?

>I was hoping our O-line would be tougher. It is not. Why? Coaching? If coaching is a problem then why haven't we hired a new O-line coach?

Athletic ability? If this is true then I need to simply be patient. If the talent is not there can it be improved upon with our current O-line coach? Unfortunately, I think not.

These things were pleasant surprises:

>Our new kicker is da bomb

>That Stafford kid is a stud as well as the Loerch (sp?)kid

>Jamal Turner can RUN-GET HIM THE BALL!

>Get Brion Carnes in there as QB as much as possible.

So, what were YOUR expectations?

• Fire 1

>I thought our offense would've looked more diversified?

\

Just wait, we still have a lot to show. Coached and players have said that we didnt show much against UTC.

>While I thought our defense was good, why did we allow even 7 points? If they are our strength then why are we allowing points to be scored?

Jpsh Williams hands to the face on 3rd down, gave them a first down that lead to the TD. And andrew fell.

Giving up 7 points all game isn't a big deal. Unless you only scored 6 or less.

I would agree if this were Ohio State or Wisconsin but not the team we played. I would think, even as a point of honor, that they would make it a priority not to be scored upon. Was my expectation unrealistic? I did think they played well though. I'm very proud of them but maybe my expectations of the entire game were off. I wasn't one of the ones who thought we would 'beat the crap outta them'. It seems like these FCS teams have nothing to lose so why not go in and 'face the giants' They may get lucky and win like SDSU did last season. Do you think we might've underestimated this team? Or was it truly just a 'glorified scrimmage' and because the team knew that they didn't play up to their potential? Thanks for the discussion!

I would agree if this were Ohio State or Wisconsin but not the team we played. I would think, even as a point of honor, that they would make it a priority not to be scored upon. Was my expectation unrealistic? I did think they played well though. I'm very proud of them but maybe my expectations of the entire game were off. I wasn't one of the ones who thought we would 'beat the crap outta them'. It seems like these FCS teams have nothing to lose so why not go in and 'face the giants' They may get lucky and win like SDSU did last season. Do you think we might've underestimated this team? Or was it truly just a 'glorified scrimmage' and because the team knew that they didn't play up to their potential? Thanks for the discussion!

OU-47

Tulsa-14

Bama-48

Kent St.-7

FSU-34

UL-Monroe-0

Stan-57

SJSU-3

A & M-46

SMU-14

Okie St.-64

UL-Lafayette-34

VT-66

App. St-13

MSU-28

YSU-6

A lot of teams with big expectations couldn't shut out there much weaker opponents. It's not like we played a high school team here. It is understandable to want a shutout every game, but even against some weak opponents your going to slip up eventually. Last years team didn't get any shutouts. '09 got 2 with the first happening 4 games in. Give the defense time to mold and let our best d-back get on the field before you write this off as a less than stellar performance. We stopped crucial fourth down plays and blocked a field goal. The defense lived up to most of my expectations with some mistakes that are going to happen on opening day. Hope things continue to get better next week!!!

• Fire 2

What were your expectations? What did you hope to see at this game?

Here's what I was expecting/looking for:

•  
  • dominant D-line: check (pretty much, anyway)
  • Ankrah in first starting role: check; looked good, real good
  • improved O-line: jury is still out
  • Tyler Moore in first starting role: check; good, I think--but I'll need to go back and watch more.
  • a bunch of freshman getting PT: check
  • tinkering around on the offense to see what works: check
  • LB play: don't know--David looked great, of course. Don't know about the rest
  • fewer penalties: check
  • fewer fumbles/turnovers: ehh..not so much
  • Martinez improved passing attack: CHECK!
  • receivers catching the ball: some good, some not
  • Martinez improved running the option: check
  • Carnes running the offense: ehhh..don't know yet
  • Bondi's leg: Saw Maher instead. Looking very good in kicking/punting.
  • fans bitching and moaning about looking rusty in first game: check

• Fire 2

Did I have coffee with you this AM, ladyhawke? We were just talking about this at the coffee shop, how the only way to explain the level of disappointment we're seeing after a 33-point blowout win is that the expectations of those disappointed simply weren't met. People expected something other than what they saw, therefore the result - no matter how positive - becomes a negative.

There's a whole branch of psychology that deals with unrealized expectations. You'll find a lot of this kind of discussion in marriage counseling, where neither party is really doing anything wrong, they're just not doing what the disaffected partner(s) expect(s).

I walked into this game expecting to see a ragged offensive performance. I expected to see trouble in the kicking game, and a strong showing by the defense. My expectations were met by the offense (mostly), I was blown away by Maher's ability to vastly exceed my expectations, and overall the defense met my expectations based on Dennard's injury and what I've seen of them the last couple of years under Bo. The fact that I'm not reacting negatively to the game is probably best explained by looking at those expectations.

I expected some kind of consistency from the offense, but got more of the same inconsistent crap. It doesn't have to be stellar, and I didn't expect it to be stellar, but some consistency at some point in time would be nice.

I expected the O-line to actually do their job on a consistent basis. Again, oops, my bad for expecting that.

I expected to see some improvement in Martinez in terms of not staring down his receivers. Again, oops, obviously my bad for expecting that.

I expected to not see experienced running backs making high school level mistakes. Damn, what an idiot I was for expecting that.

Blah blah blah. I can go on and on, but obviously some of us were complete idiots for expecting our team to actually come out show some consistency and, I don't know, look like a team that belongs in the top 10-20. Goddamn we're stupid for expecting that, even during the first game.

Some things did go well. A lot didn't go as well as they should have. In the end, 40-7 is a dominating win. So whatever, I'm not flipping out, but I'm not going to stand there with a sh#t eating grin on my face and act like it was a good outing. Because it really wasn't. Delude yourselves all you want.

I am confident the next game will be a significant improvement, though.

Did I have coffee with you this AM, ladyhawke? We were just talking about this at the coffee shop, how the only way to explain the level of disappointment we're seeing after a 33-point blowout win is that the expectations of those disappointed simply weren't met. People expected something other than what they saw, therefore the result - no matter how positive - becomes a negative.

There's a whole branch of psychology that deals with unrealized expectations. You'll find a lot of this kind of discussion in marriage counseling, where neither party is really doing anything wrong, they're just not doing what the disaffected partner(s) expect(s).

I walked into this game expecting to see a ragged offensive performance. I expected to see trouble in the kicking game, and a strong showing by the defense. My expectations were met by the offense (mostly), I was blown away by Maher's ability to vastly exceed my expectations, and overall the defense met my expectations based on Dennard's injury and what I've seen of them the last couple of years under Bo. The fact that I'm not reacting negatively to the game is probably best explained by looking at those expectations.

Nail on the head. I was surprised so many people expected our offense to run like a well-oiled machine the first day out with a new offense, new coordinator, new position coaches, new system of calling plays, 4 new starters on the offensive line, a handful of kids who were in high school a few months ago, ect.

I got about what I expected across the board. Maher exceeded expectations. I was glad ball security and penalties seemed improved. There were still fumbles, but none of them were because of the way the ball was being carried. I expected a better showing out of the offensive line, I expected a better showing from BK and Stien also. Definately lots of things to clean up on all three phases of the game, but that's pretty much what I expected.

OU-47

Tulsa-14

Bama-48

Kent St.-7

FSU-34

UL-Monroe-0

Stan-57

SJSU-3

A & M-46

SMU-14

Okie St.-64

UL-Lafayette-34

VT-66

App. St-13

MSU-28

YSU-6

A lot of teams with big expectations couldn't shut out there much weaker opponents. It's not like we played a high school team here. It is understandable to want a shutout every game, but even against some weak opponents your going to slip up eventually. Last years team didn't get any shutouts. '09 got 2 with the first happening 4 games in. Give the defense time to mold and let our best d-back get on the field before you write this off as a less than stellar performance. We stopped crucial fourth down plays and blocked a field goal. The defense lived up to most of my expectations with some mistakes that are going to happen on opening day. Hope things continue to get better next week!!!

Thanks for sharing. I don't think I'm writing them off but I did expect more given how good our defense is. But I must confess, I expected an upset. I just kept thinking of SDSU last year. Chat didn't have anything to lose and sometimes those teams are more dangerous than the Big Guys. I'm glad we won and as a die hard Husker fan I will continue to cheer them on, good weather or bad.

I felt like you did after it was all over (looking at the other teams that played.) But when watching some of those other teams I thought, 'Wow, if we don't play any better than this come Wisconsin/Ohio St. time, we're going to get killed.' Things did get better but again, perhaps my expectations were wrong? unrealistic? buried in the past? I'm probably one of those fans who 'remember the Huskers back in the day' I started watching NU when I came to Nebraska in 1979 from Missouri. I couldn't believe how good they were. My husband is a native Nebraskan and he got me so interested in the Huskers that I'm a rabid fan now! lol But I so miss those days when our boys just rolled over the other team. My husband says those days are gone because of all the NCAA changes.

Anyway, I haven't written them off, I just expected more from them. I guess I expected a perfect game. (unrealist expectation for any team, eh?)

What an astute analogy! Yes, that's exactly it. Perhaps my expectations were unrealistic. Did you really consider it a 33 point blow out? I don't know why I can't be satisfied by it. I think for me is because I'm comparing NU with Ohio St., Bama, LSU, et al. However, some of the top teams didn't look their best. (I thought it was a riot that Baylor beat TCU! I couldn't help it! I like TCU but poor Baylor has been the punching bag of college football for so long! I thought it was great for them to have that win!)

Someone else wrote that there are those fans that pine for the days when the Huskers were on top. I'm probably one of them. My expectation when we play FCS teams is that we would win like 72-0. Consider the way college football has changed those days are probably dead forever.

I shared with another poster that unfortunately, I thought we would be upset. My reason is that those FCS teams have nothing to lose so they come in and just play their butts off. I had visions of SDSU in my head and just didn't have a good feeling about this game.

Anyway, we DID win, we did have great plays and some really good things happen. The satisfaction of the game is my problem not the teams!lol

Thanks for your observations!

Nail on the head. I was surprised so many people expected our offense to run like a well-oiled machine the first day out with a new offense, new coordinator, new position coaches, new system of calling plays, 4 new starters on the offensive line, a handful of kids who were in high school a few months ago, ect.

I got about what I expected across the board. Maher exceeded expectations. I was glad ball security and penalties seemed improved. There were still fumbles, but none of them were because of the way the ball was being carried. I expected a better showing out of the offensive line, I expected a better showing from BK and Stien also. Definately lots of things to clean up on all three phases of the game, but that's pretty much what I expected.

Do you think we expected a better offense because of all the media hype? It seemed like every time I turned on the radio or tv some sports person was saying that they heard that the coaches were all bragging about how good the offense was doing in practice. So, for my part, I expected that the offense would be greatly improved. They did show some improvement but everything is new. One of the things I did enjoy was the change in Martinez's attitude on the sidelines. He was smiling, talking with the other players. That was great!

I agree with you, I think we will get better!

Ladyhawke, I have to ask. You do realize Nebraska beat SDSU last year, right? What was your level of disappointment after that game?

That game was 4 games into the season. Everyone thought all problems were solved on offense and NU was ready to roll. Then they came out flat against the Jack Rabbits with no excuse. But people forgot about that game after KSU and Missouri. Hell, people were buying Fiesta Bowl tickets at halftime of the Big12 Championship game.

At least with the Tenn-Chat game there are reasons for the performance. I feel that there are some things that need to be fixed after this game; we all do, including players and coaches (which is most important). But, this was the first game of the year with half of our offense making their first collegiate starts. And the OC admitted using it as a practice!

It's OK to feel disappointed that the Huskers didn't win 70-0. But don't hold out hope for this team. They are young and hungry!