Zatechka's Take

carlfense

I don't know. I'm sure this has been mentioned, but it just seems to me that this I-formation option running game is a ploy. I mean, I think it will be used a little bit, but the I-formation won't be leaned on so heavily as seen in the first game. All off season I got the impression from Beck that the offense would be one that is spread out and the speed players would get the ball in space. I could be entirely wrong, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Just a gut feeling though. Anyone else have thoughts about this?

Dr. Zatechka was my dad's anesthesiologist last December. Cool guy. Wears a NY Giants bandana in the prep room, for which we gave him a raft of crap.

Very much like that he pointed out that Martinez "is still just a SOPHOMORE." I think people expect him to play like Tommie, Frosty and Crouch did as they remember them most - as Seniors. He's not a Senior, he's a young guy still growing into his role.

Both Tommie and Crouch almost won National Titles as sophomores.....

Crouch and Frazier were not in the early stages of rebuilding a program from the ground up. They benefited from the foundation that had been built for them. They were also surrounded by an incredible group of players who were not having to learn a new offense. TM will be very good, maybe even great.

I really LIKE the fact that the offense struggled a little bit. I have a great deal of trust in Beck and sometimes getting punched in the mouth does wonders for a person's/team's focus.

Dr. Zatechka was my dad's anesthesiologist last December. Cool guy. Wears a NY Giants bandana in the prep room, for which we gave him a raft of crap.

Very much like that he pointed out that Martinez "is still just a SOPHOMORE." I think people expect him to play like Tommie, Frosty and Crouch did as they remember them most - as Seniors. He's not a Senior, he's a young guy still growing into his role.

I don't know about that, to be honest. I would give more people credit than that. I think anybody who truly expects Martinez to be as good as Frazier, Frost or Crouch aren't right in the head. And in all my experiences with Husker fans I've never once heard someone say they expect Martinez to be as great as any one of those quarterbacks. Just my personal experience, of course.

I think people just want to see him grow. Myself, like others, saw improvement in Martinez on Saturday but also saw things he had tendencies of doing last year - most namely ditching the pocket too soon. I think Martinez is doing just fine and has things to work not unlike any other quarterback, and not unlike many other players on the team.

I don't know. I'm sure this has been mentioned, but it just seems to me that this I-formation option running game is a ploy. I mean, I think it will be used a little bit, but the I-formation won't be leaned on so heavily as seen in the first game. All off season I got the impression from Beck that the offense would be one that is spread out and the speed players would get the ball in space. I could be entirely wrong, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Just a gut feeling though. Anyone else have thoughts about this?

I think you might be onto something there. The options we ran from the shotgun looked pretty different from the I formation stuff.

I remember there were some questions about - how much are we going to show in the first game of the season? It seemed to be quite up in the air. Based on the results, I think we have our answer. We didn't show too much.

The option is a complicated play to block for. These are young olineman with a new blocking scheme.

Isn't the advantage of our new offense that it isn't so complicated, and doesn't take so long for players to learn, compared to the old one?

Yes and no. Yes the technique is much simpler and the offense is pretty straight forward, but you still have to learn your line calls (which just takes time) and your assignments when running the plays. The guy pulling has option of who to block and then that gives other people their reads. Its simple but its one of those...until you do it type of deals.

The option is a complicated play to block for. These are young olineman with a new blocking scheme.

Isn't the advantage of our new offense that it isn't so complicated, and doesn't take so long for players to learn, compared to the old one?

Callawatts had three years to attempt success. Beck doesn't even get one game.

I think people just want to see him grow. Myself, like others, saw improvement in Martinez on Saturday but also saw things he had tendencies of doing last year - most namely ditching the pocket too soon. I think Martinez is doing just fine and has things to work not unlike any other quarterback, and not unlike many other players on the team.

I think he held in the pocket longer than he did this year than last year. Most of the pocket ditching has to fall on the receivers not running their routes to get open and it showed in some cases. There were several times where the pocket collapsed and receivers weren't open that Martinez had no choice but to run.

Check out this link (5:41 mark) where it shows the pocket collapsing and no receivers open besides Burkhead but I don't think Martinez saw him because he had two lineman to his left blocking a defender.

As long as we're moving the chains I could really care less if he's ditching the pocket but he needs to learn how to slide when approaching several defenders.

I'm not say Martinez is perfect but I don't think him dumping the pocket fully falls on him but on others as well.

Crouch and especially Frazier had MASSIVELY better Olines than Tmart. Wow....talk about a night & day difference. They also didn't have to change offensive schemes every year. While I hope the best for Beck it would be silly to compare him with TO as an OC.

You're talking apples & oranges.

• Fire 3

They also had a more talented surrounding cast, and played weaker competition.

• Fire 1

Crouch and especially Frazier had MASSIVELY better Olines than Tmart. Wow....talk about a night & day difference. They also didn't have to change offensive schemes every year. While I hope the best for Beck it would be silly to compare him with TO as an OC.

The direct quote was "I think people expect him to play like Tommie...and Crouch did as they remember them..." I don't remember Tommie or Eric having happy feet, or going through one progression before taking off and running during a passing play, or making the wrong reads constantly on the option at this point in their careers. And yes, I realize that elements of a new offense are being added in. Look at it in a vacuum, and compare the 3 at the same time, and you'll see Martinez is still far behind where Tommie and Eric were at this stage of their careers.

The direct quote was "I think people expect him to play like Tommie...and Crouch did as they remember them..." I don't remember Tommie or Eric having happy feet, or going through one progression before taking off and running during a passing play, or making the wrong reads constantly on the option at this point in their careers. And yes, I realize that elements of a new offense are being added in. Look at it in a vacuum, and compare the 3 at the same time, and you'll see Martinez is still far behind where Tommie and Eric were at this stage of their careers.

Not true. I remember well Frazier's 93 and Crouch's 99 years.

First of all it was very rare that Crouch and especially Frazier had to attempt 3rd & longs with passing. When it did, several of their passes were WAYYYYYYYY off the mark. Not even remotely close. Passes sailing 15 yds above our wrs heads was not uncommon.

I remember attending the 93 UCLA game were the Bruins totally sold out to stop the run and we had WIDE OPEN wrs everywhere. Our wrs made some miraculous catches on "very" poorly thrown balls yet we could only put 14 pts on the scoreboard. It was barely enough for the win (14- 13) but Frazier was no Dan Marino out there at all.

Trying to paint those two as excellent pocket passers even as seniors is just silly. As sophs even much, much more so.

Both Crouch & Frazier started at NU with the first day learning to run smashmouth and the option. Tmart is just "now" learning the option. BIG difference. And the zone read...and the WCO.....playing under center.....in the pistol, etc, etc.

Anyway.....we'll just agree to disagree, ok? We're on the same team.

GBR!!

Everyone keeps saying it's the first game of the year, knocking off the rust, we need to jell etc.etc. It was also Wisconsins first game of the year and they looked polished and efficient. All this with a recent transfer at the helm who is still learning the playbook. They also have a couple of youngsters on their O-line as well as losing alot on the defense.

Say what you will but I don't believe our coaches do their best work during fall camp. I think they tend to let the bulk of the teaching be done on the field in game time.

Now before you jump to conclusions, I think Bo is an excellent coach. I just think his management of his staff leaves alot to be desired. I realize I'm not there during practices etc.

The Wisconsins and the Alabamas of the world look more like the Huskers of old at the beginning of the year. There must be some dynamic that Bo and his staff are missing to not be able to have their sh@@ tighter before the first games. I'm talking about execution game management and so on. Why is it that Nebraska has to wait until the 4th or 5th game to "hit their stride"? While other staffs can come out swinging?