Stop Over Reacting!

Phillip Rivers threw an ugly ball in college, his WR's adjust to it. Tmarts passes might not look pretty but who cares? The thing is, teams will have to play man coverage, period. They are going to play close to the LOS.

If they blitz, you get killed, blitzing option teams is basically the first no-no of coaching, it is so hard to do, you saw what happened when Fresno did it. It makes for HUGE plays.

So just like defenses will have to adjust. If Washington plays defense like Fresno did the Skers have already seen it, which means instead of waiting until halftime to fix it, the plan will already be in place. Which means lots of seam routes over the top, here is a news flash, THOSE ARE PASSES YOU WANT TO LOB UP.

Zero coverage seam routes are a QBs dream.

I wish more people listened to you on this board. I know you are a coach and you seem to be knowledgeable.

On the other hand.......

Ebyl, really? You have a kid that has a position coach that has never done his job before, and was installing a new offense, and you expect him to make this gigantic leap?

He is a sophomore, he will improve. Are you old enough to remember Tommie Frazier's passing as a Frosh and Soph? Not until he watched Berringer his Jr. year did he figure out touch and using his legs to set up the pass. Oh ya, and Tommie had THE PIPELINE in front of him. Even when Taylor has time, he doesn't expect to so he gets the hell out of there ASAP.

I am not saying he is great in the passing game, but to say he didn't improve this offseason so he will never improve is so ridiculous it makes one dumber for even reading it.

• Fire 1

Can we play classic smash then in the mouth football? We have one proven running back (Rex) and three very promising young guys behind him (Abdullah, Heard, and Green) since this is the first year Rex will receive the majority of the carries (granted Taylor gives him the ball). We have decent depth on the O-line though that depth is filled with youth. Could this work as possible alternative then just riding the highs and lows of the T-Mart show?

No we can't because our offensive line isn't deep. They are playing absolutely terrible football right now. They have been dominated two weeks in a row, sure there were mistakes made but if you outweigh the man in front of you by 60 lbs and you can't drive him straight ahead on an iso play then you can't be a smash mouth team. I'm looking at you Yoshi Hardrick, Jeremiah Sirles, Jake Cotton, and Andrew Rodriguez. Man Rodriguez is severely overrated.

We r relying on TMagic because he is our only viable option right now as our line is too weak and timid to push the dline off the ball. If we had Fresno States oline we would be better off. Maybe just their oline coach.

Can we play classic smash then in the mouth football? We have one proven running back (Rex) and three very promising young guys behind him (Abdullah, Heard, and Green) since this is the first year Rex will receive the majority of the carries (granted Taylor gives him the ball). We have decent depth on the O-line though that depth is filled with youth. Could this work as possible alternative then just riding the highs and lows of the T-Mart show?

No we can't because our offensive line isn't deep. They are playing absolutely terrible football right now. They have been dominated two weeks in a row, sure there were mistakes made but if you outweigh the man in front of you by 60 lbs and you can't drive him straight ahead on an iso play then you can't be a smash mouth team. I'm looking at you Yoshi Hardrick, Jeremiah Sirles, Jake Cotton, and Andrew Rodriguez. Man Rodriguez is severely overrated.

We r relying on TMagic because he is our only viable option right now as our line is too weak and timid to push the dline off the ball. If we had Fresno States oline we would be better off. Maybe just their oline coach.

Last Cotton (to my knowledge) is a high school senior this year so that means when can rid of Barney when?

Would you agree that our lines are missing guys that look to kill the opponent lined up across from them every snap?

I would love to see that mentality back even though it led to some unnecessary penalties.

Last Cotton (to my knowledge) is a high school senior this year so that means when can rid of Barney when?

Would you agree that our lines are missing guys that look to kill the opponent lined up across from them every snap?

I would love to see that mentality back even though it led to some unnecessary penalties.

I would agree whole heartedly that we do not have the attitude necessary to be a great oline.

Uh, I've always felt Tommie showed definite progression year to year in various aspects. Again, TM has shown nothing. No progression at all, at least from what we've seen in our two games. There should be something showing in terms of progress, even if he's having off games. As someone else said (I can't remember if it was in this thread or not)... TM is TM. That's it...he'll never be anything else, and he's pretty much going to stay right where he is up until someone comes in and takes his spot (probably next season, I'm guessing).

Edit - And quite honestly, even if all he'd improved was his ball security when running, I'd be far less critical. At least that would be something, but he hasn't even managed that.

Uh, I've always felt Tommie showed definite progression year to year in various aspects. Again, TM has shown nothing. No progression at all, at least from what we've seen in our two games. There should be something showing in terms of progress, even if he's having off games. As someone else said (I can't remember if it was in this thread or not)... TM is TM. That's it...he'll never be anything else, and he's pretty much going to stay right where he is up until someone comes in and takes his spot (probably next season, I'm guessing).

Edit - And quite honestly, even if all he'd improved was his ball security when running, I'd be far less critical. At least that would be something, but he hasn't even managed that.

I am with you on your points. Where is the improvement? New offense, same TM. However, I am not sure what we have as an alternative. From a coaching standpoint, do you ride out the storm and continue to push and hope for improvement with TM? Do you at some point in the future, given a lack of progress and enough damage with turnovers, cut your losses and invest in the future with Carnes? Additionally, and not excuse for TM, the whole offense needs to step up. Dropped passes and O line that keeps getting pushed around does not help the situation.

No, we don't have a viable alternative right now, so TM is what we have either way. And I hope he proves me wrong and starts showing the improvements the staff claims to see in practices. I don't think they're lying, so it must be a continuing issue for things not translating well into games for him.

for all his mistakes, the O line sure isn't much help!

No, we don't have a viable alternative right now, so TM is what we have either way. And I hope he proves me wrong and starts showing the improvements the staff claims to see in practices. I don't think they're lying, so it must be a continuing issue for things not translating well into games for him.

Phillip Rivers threw an ugly ball in college, his WR's adjust to it. Tmarts passes might not look pretty but who cares? The thing is, teams will have to play man coverage, period. They are going to play close to the LOS.

If they blitz, you get killed, blitzing option teams is basically the first no-no of coaching, it is so hard to do, you saw what happened when Fresno did it. It makes for HUGE plays.

So just like defenses will have to adjust. If Washington plays defense like Fresno did the Skers have already seen it, which means instead of waiting until halftime to fix it, the plan will already be in place. Which means lots of seam routes over the top, here is a news flash, THOSE ARE PASSES YOU WANT TO LOB UP.

I don't need a coaching clinic on when to throw a lob pass. My point was, all of his mid to long range passes, including last year, seem to be lob and pray regardless of coverage. Additionally, if your going to lob it, at least try and put in a place that gives your receiver an advantage in man coverage. Have we been watching the same games?

Good God people the kid is doing everything to make yards. He is not QB for Division 1 football, but yet was a freshman All American.

You can complain about how this was and how bad that was, but complain about the real problem. Lack of preperation by the coaching staff. We had no clue of what to expect from Fresno State and it showed in almost every play through the first half.

We made changes at halftime that helped, but should have been done during the game.

I do not know if we took this game seriously, I think we did. But we played a very good team last night. A good team that takes it to every major program they face. We faced what I think is the best coach in college football. The guy gets more out of his players than any coach out there.

Give them the respect they deserve for kicking our asses for three quarters.

We have coaching problems, because all are pretty new at their jobs. Takes time, calm down.

Give credit where it is due.

Fresno played a hell of a game. We won the game, some have not been so lucky playing this team. They are no joke by any means.

That is an understatement, to say the least.

I don't need a coaching clinic on when to throw a lob pass. My point was, all of his mid to long range passes, including last year, seem to be lob and pray regardless of coverage. Additionally, if your going to lob it, at least try and put in a place that gives your receiver an advantage in man coverage. Have we been watching the same games?

What stats of his are you crying about?

He's not crying about stats. He's worrying about just how is Taylor going to threaten defenses through the air when we're playing the best of the Big Ten. Those 'lob and prays' will be a completely different story then.

Don't get me wrong, it is great what Taylor did against Fresno with those passes and it's to both his and the receiver's credit that those plays were made. But it is not wrong to say Taylor has a lot more to go with his passing game, or else we are going to have a lot to worry about.

I think we probably have some of the most misleading final statistics through two games of any team in America. Unless all those big plays will still be there in October and November. It's not the big plays I am worried about, but the fact that aside from those, we have been largely inconsistent. Right now the long runs and passes are masking the other 80% of the game, where we havestruggled setting a tone with the offense.