Stop Over Reacting!

See, looking to bench 385 yards and 3 touchdowns worth of productivity just doesn't make sense to me. If we completely ignored that, and just look at the negative, I would understand. But we all know that is completely unreasonable.

Stats don't always tell the story. TM had off the chart passing numbers, but the lob and pray passes looked pretty ugly to me last night.

When a team gains about 443 total yards and one guy can account for 385 of them, that tells a pretty damn compelling story. Instead of looking to replace the guy who is *far and away* our most productive player, shouldn't we be looking to give him some help?

Okay then....relish in your stats. All I was saying is that stats can be deceiving, and we need to look at the larger picture. What happens when a D shuts down our one trick pony like they did last year? I want a QB that can be consistent, and move the ball down the field on more than just the "Big Play".

What do you suggest to give him more help? More coaching; or are you saying as fans we should support him more?

Every team in college football makes big plays...a score is a score, whether it by a big play or a 2 yard run.

The reality Dude, is if Taylor gets shut down, the whole team gos down. Mich and Neb have one thing in common right now. The QB's are the team. They both throw pretty much the the same rainbow type passes, can run when they have to, and don't have anyone behind them if they go down. Though Mich seems to have better receivers, which would give them and edge if we get into a shoot out with them. At this point so far, we seem to be just about where we were last year on offense. If we have to do or die with Taylor so be it. It would be nice to see him get better at his reads and throw a better ball, as the season gos on.

Give Fresno credit, they came to play, they always do.

And both teams are 2 and 0 with their one trick ponies.

THOSE ARE PASSES YOU WANT TO LOB UP.

Ex-freaking-actly.

I swear, people seem to want these laser beam rocket passes. No no no, when you get one on one, with no FS (or zero coverage) you simply want air under the ball, the pass should be lobbed up and let your guy go make a play, the chance of picks are almost zero, pass interference comes into play and so do big plays.

This type of coverage also opens up one step slants to guys. You are seeing it come along, it will come along.

And if he's throwing these, he's not throwing into triple coverage over the middle! And I love those slants it opens up, but at some point for those slants to be effective, he has to start putting the ball in the right spots. Throws too high and to the back shoulder make for situations where balls get tipped up for grabs, or you get a receiver laid out and hurt. The "lob" pass is by far our most effective pass play because the QB can throw it up "in the area" and the receiver can adjust to it. But at some point, a defense is going to take that away and he's going to have to be able to throw to the intermediate routes. And quite frankly, that scares the hell out of me.

For all those long pass plays we hit, how many times did our receivers have a step or two on the defender and the ball was overthrown. It's fun watching all those big plays, but the bubble is going to burst. Kind of like college basketball, you live by the three, you die by the three, and thats how I see our offense. Big play or nothing.

THOSE ARE PASSES YOU WANT TO LOB UP.

Ex-freaking-actly.

I swear, people seem to want these laser beam rocket passes. No no no, when you get one on one, with no FS (or zero coverage) you simply want air under the ball, the pass should be lobbed up and let your guy go make a play, the chance of picks are almost zero, pass interference comes into play and so do big plays.

This type of coverage also opens up one step slants to guys. You are seeing it come along, it will come along.

Great insight. There's a lot of criticisms levied at Taylor that are fair. The big passes he made last night isn't one of them.

The Dude, you've been on ignore for a long time for a very good reason. Your posts show no reading comprehension whatsoever. If you look at my posts, you'll see I said to bench him only if we had a viable alternative. But we don't. And this will be my last post to you, don't bother responding to my posts because I have no interest in reading anything you type from here on out.

Ah for crying out loud...boo hoo you disagree with me I'm putting you on ignore. Guess you'll have to ignore me too as I agree with The Dude.

Taylor has made some improvement. He runs a decent options so far. He wasn't asked to do that last year. He lobs passes because his guys are open. Why overshoot the reciever if he's got 15 yards on the defender? That's what J Lord used to do. I think he looks more comfortable in the pocket. Still dances and hops a lot but he at least knows when to bail and last week he had that one play where last year he would've taken a sack but he threw the ball away as he was being tackled. Improvement in the passing game may be minimal right now but let's face it...we're a run first team. I imagine that's what the offense collectively has been practicing.

• Fire 1

think it's fairly safe to say that every team we play for the rest of Taylor's career is going to stack the box to stop the option amd make him beat them throwing the ball. He did that last nite, and he still got away from them 4 times, including the game winner. I gotta think that Fresno has a pretty good team, their O and D lines have excellent (B1G similar) size, a squirty little running back who was really good, and the QB was really good too. I think we really need Fonzie back to QB the defense, we shouldn't be giving up that many yards to anybody. I think anybody who watches film of this game is going to really have to start thinking about Jamal and Kenny Bell, which should help the run game.

The reality Dude, is if Taylor gets shut down, the whole team gos down. Mich and Neb have one thing in common right now. The QB's are the team. They both throw pretty much the the same rainbow type passes, can run when they have to, and don't have anyone behind them if they go down. Though Mich seems to have better receivers, which would give them and edge if we get into a shoot out with them. At this point so far, we seem to be just about where we were last year on offense. If we have to do or die with Taylor so be it. It would be nice to see him get better at his reads and throw a better ball, as the season gos on.

Very true, but we also know what happens when these one trick ponies get hurt. I would just like to see a running game that wasn't all on T-Mart's shoulders.

GBR!!!

Very true, but we also know what happens when these one trick ponies get hurt. I would just like to see a running game that wasn't all on T-Mart's shoulders.

GBR!!!

I think we can all agree with this.

Go Big Red, indeed.

GBR!!!

I think we can all agree with this.

Go Big Red, indeed.

I won't disagree one bit about it. I just don't care for people that are bashing on Taylor because he is making plays. Isn't that what he is suppose to do?

Ah for crying out loud...boo hoo you disagree with me I'm putting you on ignore. Guess you'll have to ignore me too as I agree with The Dude.

I see you also have troubles with reading comprehension. Shame. The Dude has been on ignore for me for well over a year, I believe. It has nothing to do with differing opinions about the Huskers. Try reading again and see if it sinks in this time?

That's because he's been instructed to run after the second read. Yes, he does lock on to his guys sometimes, but to say he doesn't make any reads is an outright fabrication.

Let me rephrase that to be more in line with my original post, which is that he does not reliably go through his progressions. And that is not an improvement from last season, which is my entire point.

I see you also have troubles with reading comprehension. Shame. The Dude has been on ignore for me for well over a year, I believe. It has nothing to do with differing opinions about the Huskers. Try reading again and see if it sinks in this time?

Actually the only time I've ever talked to you before was a disagreement on that stupid helmet to helmet rule. So, sure it wasn't because of differing opinions on the Huskers. But it was because of differing opinions. I've never understood joining an online discussion community if you can't handle different opinions. The ignore feature is for the weak-minded. Play it off as "troubles with reading comprehension" if you want, but we all know what's going down here. Your loss. I'm awesome.

Just wish sometimes that T-Mart would stay in the pocket as long as Taylor did

I dont think Tmart has the same amount of time in the pocket this year.

If anything, we need T Mart to roll outside of the pocket. Having him sit there like a pocket passer makes no sense. Especially since he's not getting much time to make decisions. At least on rollouts he has tons of space to run if he doesn't have a receiver, instead of running straight into the defense.

Dude, we saw what effective moving the pocket was last night, and we also saw what Taylor does when he's rolling out last night.

Not that it can't be corrected, but obviously it cannot be as big a part of our game as it was for Fresno. Taylor just doesn't have that in his arsenal.

And besides, Taylor was most effective passing vertically. Not throwing on the run where his decisions and footwork are even worse than they are standing still (see: INTERCEPTION). Not throwing short timing routes that tend to be behind the receiver.

Can we play classic smash then in the mouth football? We have one proven running back (Rex) and three very promising young guys behind him (Abdullah, Heard, and Green) since this is the first year Rex will receive the majority of the carries (granted Taylor gives him the ball). We have decent depth on the O-line though that depth is filled with youth. Could this work as possible alternative then just riding the highs and lows of the T-Mart show?