There is a huge positive to take away from tonight's game....

zoogs

And that is how this team responded to being down.

Fresno State took it to us for most of the game, hitting us in the mouth and playing with daring and "swagger" (into, you know, the "teeth of [Nebraska]'s defense").

But the Huskers didn't let them run away with it; they picked themselves up when they were down, and they proceeded to overcome all the initial obstacles and pummel the opponents into submission. Fresno State had given up by the end, and that's the difference between that team and Nebraska. They are feisty and will play anyone, anywhere, but they have low expectations to begin with and are happy to come away from this game having given us all we could handle.

The Huskers showed that they could stick with their game even after being shell-shocked, and will themselves to victory. It's something I don't think we could have known was in this team. Not after the way we lay down against Washington in the Holiday bowl.

And I think a huge part of this thanks can go to our young playmakers. Of course Martinez had a gutsy performance tonight, and Enunwa has to be really developing his confidence. But Ameer is dynamite. He runs back every kick with wild abandon. Jamal Turner brings a totally different attitude to the WR group. He catches every ball like he intends to score. The kind of electricity that those two bring to this team is phenomenal.

Obviously, this team is a huge work-in-progress, but signs like this are promising. About the future, anyway. Plenty of things to be concerned about - but that is for another thread.

Hopefully the kind of pluck the team displayed today is something they will build on into next week and not let go. In that, I'm sure they could use the appreciation, admiration, and encouragement of the fanbase, rather than the doom-and-gloom that precipitated the 2007 collapse.

So, I am not really even that worried about Washington. I think this team is a bit thirsty, but it found out something about itself today, and I think they are going to absolutely take those Huskies to the 'shed.

• Fire 1

well, i live in phoenix, and i joined the big 10 network to see the game today. my impression from the game, defense did not look good, at times it did, but overall, it gave up 400 yds.....also, nu is missing the iback running the ball consisently, i was suprised how the iback was stopped continiously for little gain. if you believe nu will go unbeaten, better get a new life...they will loose some games. not sure how many, but they will not go unbeaten

I'm not sure anyone here actually thinks we'll go unbeaten at this point. I certainly hope not. WI, though, will probably go unbeaten through the Big 10 and might just end up with a shot at the title game, depending on how other teams shake out with their seasons.

Going unbeaten is very hard for a great team. NU will be lucky to go .500 in the conference.

I'm not sure anyone here actually thinks we'll go unbeaten at this point. I certainly hope not. WI, though, will probably go unbeaten through the Big 10 and might just end up with a shot at the title game, depending on how other teams shake out with their seasons.

Going unbeaten is very hard for a great team. NU will be lucky to go .500 in the conference.E

That's a bit of a stretch we will probably lose 3. I'm worried about the team but I'm not going into full panic and throwing us to the wayside. Were 2-0 we will rebound next week we will be fine.

Fresno State took it to us for most of the game, hitting us in the mouth and playing with daring and "swagger" (into, you know, the "teeth of [Nebraska]'s defense").

But the Huskers didn't let them run away with it; they picked themselves up when they were down, and they proceeded to overcome all the initial obstacles and pummel the opponents into submission. Fresno State had given up by the end, and that's the difference between that team and Nebraska. They are feisty and will play anyone, anywhere, but they have low expectations to begin with and are happy to come away from this game having given us all we could handle.

The Huskers showed that they could stick with their game even after being shell-shocked, and will themselves to victory. It's something I don't think we could have known was in this team. Not after the way we lay down against Washington in the Holiday bowl.

And I think a huge part of this thanks can go to our young playmakers. Of course Martinez had a gutsy performance tonight, and Enunwa has to be really developing his confidence. But Ameer is dynamite. He runs back every kick with wild abandon. Jamal Turner brings a totally different attitude to the WR group. He catches every ball like he intends to score. The kind of electricity that those two bring to this team is phenomenal.

Obviously, this team is a huge work-in-progress, but signs like this are promising. About the future, anyway. Plenty of things to be concerned about - but that is for another thread.

Hopefully the kind of pluck the team displayed today is something they will build on into next week and not let go. In that, I'm sure they could use the appreciation, admiration, and encouragement of the fanbase, rather than the doom-and-gloom that precipitated the 2007 collapse.

So, I am not really even that worried about Washington. I think this team is a bit thirsty, but it found out something about itself today, and I think they are going to absolutely take those Huskies to the 'shed.

This is a good point. One of the only positives to come out of the game. And after living through the 2007 Huskers season we should all realize how important it is to keep plugging away. Our 2007 team would have given up in the second half, and lost. This year's team doubles down, and punches back harder than ever in the 2nd half. Giving us a chance to win, instead of rolling over.

Allow me to attempt to paraphrase...

"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid"

Penalties were a bit of a bright spot too...1 unsportsmanlike on a punt return and 1 delay of game. I think the other one was the illegal shift that was offset by an encroachment at the goal line. Last year this would have probably been one of those games that spiraled into 100+ yards of stupid penalties.

• Fire 1

Couldn't have said it better.

T_O_B

:bigredn::bigredn::bigredn:

Wisconsin looks good, but going unbeaten is going to be tough in the B1G. They should definitely be the favorites to win the conference, but I am looking forward to the Huskers going into Wisconsin. It will be a good test, and despite the meltdown on HuskerBoard, Nebraska can win that game.