Board upgrade

Husker_Power

One of the things I'm having a hard time getting used to is the forum navigation tool being at the top instead of the bottom. I keep looking down there to move from forum to forum and have to remember that it's up top now.

Funny, I found it an improvement, since it added breadcrumbs at the bottom - when you reach the end of the thread, just look down and click where you want to go. The breadcrumbs are just above the dark gray bar. For example, in this thread you can navigate up the tree by clicking "Board Feedback", "Other Stuff" or "HuskerBoard.com - Husker Message Board". I find that much handier.

I saw that when we upgraded, and it's a nice touch. It's handier if all you want to do is go from the thread you're in to the main page, or anywhere in between, but it won't help if you are in a thread in Husker Football and you want to go to the Big Red Lounge. To do that directly you have to go to the top of the page, whereas it used to be at the bottom.

Not a big deal, just something I'll have to get used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Before the upgrade there was a Notes section in our profile. (I think it was called "Notes", but maybe something else). I used Notes it to store misc stuff—like the Husker gameday prayer, misc HB instructions, URLs to stat sites, etc. Did the Notes section go away, or is hiding someplace? No big deal either way. I was just wondering.

Just a comment:

I think turning off the embedded quote-in a quote in a quote "feature" would be a good idea, at least in my opinion. As it is now, people quote each other back and forth, and an argument turns into a huge wall of quote-inside-a-quote-inside-a-quote-inside-a-quote..etc, etc.

A lot of boards have it set like such: Say there is an original "Post A." Somebody quotes Post A and adds a reply to form "Post B." Then if somebody quotes Post B, it includes only the reply in Post B and not the quoted Post A that also exists in Post B. This would really reduce the huge cluttery walls of quotes that fill up a lot of threads right now.

I know one counterargument would be that arguments/discussions would be hard to follow, but that is really not the case. In my opinion, they are easier to follow because of the reduced amount of noise.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT suggesting to get rid of the quote feature altogether, as that would be ridiculous. Just to make it so that the only material quoted when you hit the "quote" button is the new text in the post you are quoting. Hopefully I made that sort of clear haha, I realized as I was going along how it is sort of difficult to put my idea into words. :D (And I am not even sure that your software has this option, I'm just throwing ideas out there)

Just a comment:

I think turning off the embedded quote-in a quote in a quote "feature" would be a good idea, at least in my opinion. As it is now, people quote each other back and forth, and an argument turns into a huge wall of quote-inside-a-quote-inside-a-quote-inside-a-quote..etc, etc.

***SNIP***

Well...just spent quite some time looking for an option for this, and I don't see it. It may be possible for us to edit the code, but at this time we're having issues with that. Sorry.

Just realized its a lot harder to use smilyes.. Is there a way to show them without pressing "show them all" and opening a new window

Unfortunately, no. Not sure why IP.Board changed that, but they did. As I mentioned above, we might be able to edit the code to default to "Show All", but we have to first fix the issues with editing the files and code.

Just realized its a lot harder to use smilyes.. Is there a way to show them without pressing "show them all" and opening a new window

Unfortunately, no. Not sure why IP.Board changed that, but they did. As I mentioned above, we might be able to edit the code to default to "Show All", but we have to first fix the issues with editing the files and code.

Is there a way to update the current smiley list with ones that are used more frequently? When you click on the smiley icon it shows smileys I very seldom use. Any way to change that list?

I did something silly after reading about a page of this thread's post. I set my computer's theme to mobile. I just wanted to see what the mobile verision looked like and now everything is still blue and there is no banner at the top. I changed it back to the normal theme, but it still stays blue. ??

I did something silly after reading about a page of this thread's post. I set my computer's theme to mobile. I just wanted to see what the mobile verision looked like and now everything is still blue and there is no banner at the top. I changed it back to the normal theme, but it still stays blue. ??

I switched it back for you - everything look okay?

wow- yes. You're magical

One of the things I'm having a hard time getting used to is the forum navigation tool being at the top instead of the bottom. I keep looking down there to move from forum to forum and have to remember that it's up top now.

Funny, I found it an improvement, since it added breadcrumbs at the bottom - when you reach the end of the thread, just look down and click where you want to go. The breadcrumbs are just above the dark gray bar. For example, in this thread you can navigate up the tree by clicking "Board Feedback", "Other Stuff" or "HuskerBoard.com - Husker Message Board". I find that much handier.

I saw that when we upgraded, and it's a nice touch. It's handier if all you want to do is go from the thread you're in to the main page, or anywhere in between, but it won't help if you are in a thread in Husker Football and you want to go to the Big Red Lounge. To do that directly you have to go to the top of the page, whereas it used to be at the bottom.

Not a big deal, just something I'll have to get used to.

I agree in the normal mode the breadcrumbs are an improvement, I like them alot. I will say that in mobile version it is less user friendly now in this manner. This is no Top of the Page, Back to Section, or Breadcrumbs option at the bottom in mobile mode. You have to scroll all of the way to top to go anywhere from the post.

wow- yes. You're magical

I had the same issue, figured out that you hand to select the QB Live theme to get the Red board we are used to. It is a bit confusing because the Mobile theme is called IP.Board.Mobile and there is also an option for IP.Board which if one would assume is the normal red theme, but isn't. Maybe the Admins can remove the 3rd theme option, IP.Board, and just allow users to select QB Live or IP.Board.Mobile?

• 1 year later...

Just to let everyone know, this has been fixed. When you click into the post window, you can click the "Smiley" icon on the toolbar (the yellow "Smile" icon). You get a strip at the bottom of the window that shows some of the icons. As redout noted, you used to have to click the "Show All" link immediately below the strip of icons, which would open up a new, small window - you scroll through that window to find and select the smiley you wanted. Well, now if you look closely at the right of the strip, you should see a small, red arrow. Click it, and it will advance to the next strip of icons. Click it again and it advances to a third strip of icons and so forth. And once you do that, you will also now see a small red arrow to the left which you use to go back to the previous strip. A small thing, I know, but it is a MUCH easier way to scroll through the smiley icons to select the one you want. Hope it helps.