Why we will beat Wisconsin

As far as when NU has the ball I think its really simple. UW is going to sell out to stop the run/contain Taylor Martinez similar to what they did against Denard Robinson last year. Denard ran for 121 yards, but it mostly came in bunches averaging 5.5 yards a carry. Wisconsin is going to dare T-Magic to throw deep, which as a Badger fan, I gladly welcome. For T-Magic to have success through the air, he's going to have to get it out quick and short. Andy Dalton torched us in the first half of the Rose Bowl last year that way, and the Badger secondary is still very susceptible to that by playing soft coverage, three yards off the man at the line of scrimmage.

Nothing would make me happier than Wisky daring us to throw deep. NU has serious speed at WR and TE to go deep against any man coverage, and Martinez doesn't have to make split-second decisions but just huck it deep which he's done fairly well this season.

I think the better plan is to play zone, keeping the defenders facing Martinez if he scrambles and forcing Martinez to find holes in the zones which he has done but has also struggled with at times.

As far as when NU has the ball I think its really simple. UW is going to sell out to stop the run/contain Taylor Martinez similar to what they did against Denard Robinson last year. Denard ran for 121 yards, but it mostly came in bunches averaging 5.5 yards a carry. Wisconsin is going to dare T-Magic to throw deep, which as a Badger fan, I gladly welcome. For T-Magic to have success through the air, he's going to have to get it out quick and short. Andy Dalton torched us in the first half of the Rose Bowl last year that way, and the Badger secondary is still very susceptible to that by playing soft coverage, three yards off the man at the line of scrimmage.

Nothing would make me happier than Wisky daring us to throw deep. NU has serious speed at WR and TE to go deep against any man coverage, and Martinez doesn't have to make split-second decisions but just huck it deep which he's done fairly well this season.

I think the better plan is to play zone, keeping the defenders facing Martinez if he scrambles and forcing Martinez to find holes in the zones which he has done but has also struggled with at times.

One of the many good things I have saw from our receivers this year is that they will actually go up and compete for the ball. How many times did we see OU receivers go up and out-compete our DBs for a "jump-ball"? Now I like our WRs chances in a "jump-ball" situation.

No offense to Toon, he is a nice player, but if anyone here thinks that Toon vs. a healthy Dennard is even close, they've lost their minds. A healthy Dennard shuts down almost any college wide receiver.

fixed it for you

No, I had it right the first time. Dennard is lockdown, need I remind you of the OSU game last year. Blackmon did nothing in the 2nd half because of Dennard.

• Fire 1

No offense to Toon, he is a nice player, but if anyone here thinks that Toon vs. a healthy Dennard is even close, they've lost their minds. A healthy Dennard shuts down almost any college wide receiver.

fixed it for you

No, I had it right the first time. Dennard is lockdown, need I remind you of the OSU game last year. Blackmon did nothing in the 2nd half because of Dennard.

He looked pretty decent out there against Wyo, I just wonder how much rust has been knocked off. If he truly is even close to 100% I like whoever he lines up against. I realize Toon is a big, physical receiver but he doesn't have the same explosiveness as Blackmon, and Fonzie held his own with JB. When healthy Fonzie is an extremely physical and athletic DB.

I feel that we are very capable of winning this game, but anything can happen. Our offense is very fast...too fast for the Wisconsin D in my opinion. And we will definetely give up some points, but I think if we score at least 30 (and thats a big if), we win this game. Its gonna be a battle for sure.
Two cents from someone whos watched all UW's games and two Nebraska games: Key matchups: Dennard vs. Toon: 5'10 corner vs. 6'3 receiver. Toon has been having the kind of season UW fans have been hoping for since he got here. Can Dennard shut him down or does Toon win the jump balls? On the other side, Corey Cooper had some problems last week. UW OLBs/DEs vs. Martinez: The Badgers don't have great speed here, although DEs Nzegwu and Gilbert are good athletes and OLBs Taylor and Claxton are solid. Can they consistently turn Martinez in or can he regularly get to the corner and gash UW like UNLV did? Martinez is a hell of a weapon and has the ability to make it a long night for UW's defenders. Crick and Co. vs. Wilson: Wilson has been amazing, No. 2 in the nation in completion percentage, throwing extremely well on the run, avoiding pressure and turning in some nice runs. Can Nebraska's D-line 1) get some kind of consistent pressure on him, while 2) holding their rushing lanes so he can't escape and hurt the Huskers with his legs? Special teams: UW kicker Alec Lerner has booted 3 kickoffs OB -- this plus Ameer Abdullah give Nebraska a decided advantage here. Can UW avoid a big breakdown? It's true UW has faced poor competition to this point, but they've done exactly what an outstanding team should do to inferior opponents. Both teams have gotten better as the season has gone along. Both teams have kept things pretty vanilla thus far but will pull out the stops Saturday. I think in the end, UW just has too many offensive weapons and Wilson has been so good in making use of them. The Badgers can run inside and out, stretch the field, their O-line are brutes who make a living grinding down a defense through the course of a game, but they can also get out and pull. And if the defense focuses too much on stopping the run, the play-action pass becomes devastating. Not sure 30 is gonna do it, as the previous poster suggested. Offensively, Nebraska is gonna score but I think they're gonna have to work harder for it, ie., put together longer drives as opposed to living off big plays. Nebraska can not let UW get ahead by much because I don't think Martinez can pass the Huskers back in the game. I think their best hope is to win the turnover battle and maybe get a kick/punt return TD. But if the Badgers don't shoot themselves in the foot too often, I see something along the lines of UW 38, Nebraska 27. Can't wait to see it play out.

This is a great post. I agree with 99% of it. There are going to be some great match ups in this game. I think/hope that the Huskers will this game; but I wouldn't be utterly shocked if Wiscy pulls it out. Every single game thus far, T-Mart has shown improvement. And I'm stocked to see the "B1G Three" play together this year. I think ultimately the game will come down to turnovers and penalties (unfortunately Wisconsin is a very disciplined team that doesn't have a lot of mental errors).

here's the deal. We're not very good. It's not this player vs. that player deal, but team vs. team. I don't know how good Wisconsin is, and this is why we might win, but it will take every last cosmic stroke of luck for us to win if Winscy truly is a #7 team. I tell you we are not an 8 and I have no idea what the "experts" are basing this off of.

It's not that we don't have talent, we have talent. But it's splintered and in a vacuum and not brought together very well. They really don't looked very well coached. Even Bo doesn't seem himself. Oddly complacent and quiet. I can see this entire game plan like the 2007 USC game(not saying this team is as good). Just playing not to lose and get embarrassed.

The only thing I can say has improved is Special Teams. That is it. I am looking forward to this game, but I am also realistic.

here's the deal. We're not very good. It's not this player vs. that player deal, but team vs. team. I don't know how good Wisconsin is, and this is why we might win, but it will take every last cosmic stroke of luck for us to win if Winscy truly is a #7 team. I tell you we are not an 8 and I have no idea what the "experts" are basing this off of.

It's not that we don't have talent, we have talent. But it's splintered and in a vacuum and not brought together very well. They really don't looked very well coached. Even Bo doesn't seem himself. Oddly complacent and quiet. I can see this entire game plan like the 2007 USC game(not saying this team is as good). Just playing not to lose and get embarrassed.

The only thing I can say has improved is Special Teams. That is it. I am looking forward to this game, but I am also realistic.

Total BS.

We had two vicious games that were essentially even at halftime and got it done. Of course there's room for massive improvement, just like every team in the nation. Even casual cfb fans know Fresno St is a real-deal road warrior program & Washington is 50 times better than anybody Wisconsin has played yet.

We're blooded, battle tested and ready. I like our chances....

GBR!!

• Fire 1

good assessment of where we are. something is wrong with Bo......maybe someone needs to kick him in the nuts to get the old Bo back, this new rendition is not to my liking so far.

I really think Washington would give Wisconsin a run for its money, i really do. Comparing non con schedules. And for the negative nancys out there, no the Washington game was never in doubt. We gave them 21 BS points in a let up, it should have been ALOT worse. Like 51-24 because the D really stepped up in the 3q. I expect to see the same D for 4 quarters come Saturday....aaaaaaand really if Dennard was in there you can take away 2 touchdowns when Green got burnt on double moves......so technically........Anyway our D shows up like they have the last two years, and we win big. If its more blown coverages, its closer, plain and simple.

I think our D steps up against conference teams under Pelini because they are easier to read, and dont throw as many new wrinkles at you. They generally play with the same offensive philosophy and tendencies, so they are easier to scheme against. I think thats what makes Pelini so successfull (Mizzzou last year Gabbert never had a prayer). Throw alot of new stuff at us that we havent prepared for and we look average. Look what happened against K state. Several posters on here were predicting a battle and even a loss because of Daniel Thomas. Everyone was scared that he was going to run all over us because we gave up a lot of yards in non con...(like always). Not saying k state is on the same level with Wisconsin last year, just saying i think Bo is great in the film room, and knows how to scheme extremely well when he knows whats coming. Only when they throw something unexpected, do we struggle....Texas Tech, Washington in Holiday Bowl, Fresno, off the top of my head. I think he has a great idea whats coming and has probably watched every game Bielema and Chryst has ever coached over the summer....twice. Our offense on the other hand...no one quite knows....Im drunk on kool-aid...... man i cant wait for this one.

• Fire 2