Penalties by Wyoming

cHUSKERis

I'm just wondering what your opinions are of the slide by Martinez and the shove (I forgot who got pushed) that resulted in penalties. The shove was clearly intentional and deserved to be a penalty, but I remember one of the announcers saying that he disagreed with the sliding penalty because Martinez slid after the defender had already launched himself.

I still think its a penalty, but what do you guys think?

Also, what led up to the shove? I didn't catch the actual play, just the replay (was using the bathroom). I'm glad that there was no payback though, shows were a better program, even though the announcer said that there might be haha.

On quarterback sliding - as soon as a quarterback goes into his sliding motion, it is illegal to come in and tackle him. The Wyoming player added onto the penalty by hitting Martinez in the head. Anytime a quarterback goes into a sliding motion, and a defender comes up to hit him (regardless of whether the defender is in the air or not), it will be a penalty.

As far as the shove, there were two shoves that I can think of, but I believe the one you're referring to was on a kick off. A Nebraska player was blocking a Wyoming player, shoving him and what-not. When the whistle blew, the Nebraska player turned his back on the Wyoming player and started walking towards our kick-returner, when the Wyoming player came up and shoved him right in the back pretty hard.

Yeah the rules on helmet to helmet stuff, or any head contact for that matter, is even if it's an accident, don't have accidents. Fifteen yards. I understand why. A game can turn tragic in a hurry with guys as big, strong, and fast as they are in today's game. I don't think the Wyoming kid was doing it intentionally either, but such is the rule. Until further notice, abide by it.

Yeah the rules on helmet to helmet stuff, or any head contact for that matter, is even if it's an accident, don't have accidents. Fifteen yards. I understand why. A game can turn tragic in a hurry with guys as big, strong, and fast as they are in today's game. I don't think the Wyoming kid was doing it intentionally either, but such is the rule. Until further notice, abide by it.

Exactly. I know people get on their horse about how weak the game has become today, but there are good reasons for them doing what they do. And as long as a rule is a rule, it should be followed.

I agree with both calls, but I also have to wonder if we are going to be held all year? In every game we've played this year our defensive line is getting held..............BAD. It's never getting called though..............

I've been asking this for 3 years now...but by golly we will get called at least once or twice a game, regardless of how obvious our D-line is being held. You would think Bo would mention this prior to games when meeting with officials...to at LEAST call it fair, fellas...