This ones on Beck

GI56

I think the worst part of the offensive performance tonight was Beck's decision to abandon the running game. However, I'd have to go back and watch, but in Beck's defense I think that was somewhat forced by penalties. In the second quarter, we killed ourselves with false starts, holding, illegal formation penalties etc that put us into 2nd/3rd and long (15+) downs. The only way to get out of those is to pass, and we're not going to be a good passing team when the defense knows we're going to pass. Just isn't going to happen with the type of offense we're trying to run.

Totally freakin ludicrous to say this one's on Beck. If you're going to blame an OC for not being able to outscore 48, well I'm not sure how to respond. We are (or were) a top tier college program. If our QB cannot throw the ball better than Martinez did tonight, the problem goes much deeper than the OC. If you must blame a game element or a coach, I suggest looking very hard at the defensive side of ball. Our DB's are not only not very good, they are approaching horrible. And, our D-Line looks like they are pulling plow blades behind them when they are in pusuit of any opposing QB who is not in a wheelchair. We lost a lot more than anyone realized when Suh and Prince left.

I'll make this simple. If your D can't stop your opponents O, your O needs to stay on the field. What part of the first quarter did you miss? TM is DIRECTLY responsible for 21 points going to Wisconsin. But Beck keep having him pass even when he was clearly rattled. Capishe?

Makes complete sense.  Run 3 times for 6 yards and punt.  Bring the D that is getting punished right back out on the field.

So what's worse for the team, going three and out and putting the opponent on the 25 again, or throwing a pick and putting them on the 45? That's not counting the mental breakdown that occurs.Martinez can't pass well. He can't find open receivers well. His throwing motion is garbage. Throw to open the run even when he's already thrown two picks? If they're stacking the box, how about calling an option? Maybe even to the long side of the field so you have more room. Maybe run to the sideline, or a power run, or an option fake.How about something that might confuse them, instead of putting Martinez in the shotgun and hoping he forgets he's Martinez?

Totally freakin ludicrous to say this one's on Beck. If you're going to blame an OC for not being able to outscore 48, well I'm not sure how to respond. We are (or were) a top tier college program. If our QB cannot throw the ball better than Martinez did tonight, the problem goes much deeper than the OC. If you must blame a game element or a coach, I suggest looking very hard at the defensive side of ball. Our DB's are not only not very good, they are approaching horrible. And, our D-Line looks like they are pulling plow blades behind them when they are in pusuit of any opposing QB who is not in a wheelchair. We lost a lot more than anyone realized when Suh and Prince left.

I'll make this simple. If your D can't stop your opponents O, your O needs to stay on the field. What part of the first quarter did you miss? TM is DIRECTLY responsible for 21 points going to Wisconsin. But Beck keep having him pass even when he was clearly rattled. Capishe?

Makes complete sense. Run 3 times for 6 yards and punt. Bring the D that is getting punished right back out on the field.

So what's worse for the team, going three and out and putting the opponent on the 25 again, or throwing a pick and putting them on the 45? That's not counting the mental breakdown that occurs.Martinez can't pass well. He can't find open receivers well. His throwing motion is garbage. Throw to open the run even when he's already thrown two picks? If they're stacking the box, how about calling an option? Maybe even to the long side of the field so you have more room. Maybe run to the sideline, or a power run, or an option fake.How about something that might confuse them, instead of putting Martinez in the shotgun and hoping he forgets he's Martinez?

You're exactly right. Throwing an awful pick that no QB at this level should throw is far worse.

It's not like Taylor didn't have guys open on those plays. Wide open even. At least he could have thrown it away.

What? The first pick he had no one open and tried to make a play he shouldn't have, trying to throw to Kyler Reed while not seeing the LB in the middle of the field.

The second he threw to the same flag pattern that we had run the previous two plays. It worked the first time, Wisconsin had it covered the second time, and the third time they were there for an interception on an overthrow, but nobody was open.

The third one you could say he should have gone to Burkhead, but he had Kinnie. The problem was that Taylor threw it like it was an out and Kinnie kept going.

We didn't just have guys running wide open. We did in the first quarter, when Taylor was on the money, but they were running free because of our running game. We abandoned that running game at the first sign of trouble, and everything fell apart. We had 99 rushing yards going into the fourth quarter I believe - we will lose every single game the rest of the year if that is our rushing output.

BS, on the overthrow pick the underneath receiver had settled nicely and had a cushion, easy completion.

Taylor looks just as bad as last year with his pocket presence, he jumps around, has no feeling for pressure, no ability to read a D, no fundamentals in throwing. He has no business leading a supposed top 10 team as a QB, NU's seen better pocket presence and poise from freshmen against Bo's "Blackshirts" than Taylor had in his 16th start against a mediocre defense.

Makes complete sense. Run 3 times for 6 yards and punt. Bring the D that is getting punished right back out on the field.

Since you want to keep it simple, I'll try. I don't believe Beck had much choice in the majority of the situations where we HAD to pass. If we run on 2nd & 15 or 3rd & 18's, the result comes out the same. This thing spun out of control at the end of the first half. 2 minutes left and we go into hurryup to try to get some points. Run the ball and clock runs out-no points. Throw the ball with Martinez and all hell breaks lose. Only time we possibly had a choice was 1st play of 3rd quarter. And you have to be thinking that Wiscy is expecting anything but a pass. So it looks bad in retrospect but only because Taylor throws like a girl (sorry girls). If you really want to blame something, blame the recruiting that left Nebraska without a QB that can throw when he has to. Besdies that, the other team was better. Much, much better. Period.

Becks does have some culpability. He could have rolled him out, play action, anything other than dropping in the pocket. Anytime Taylor drops straight back in the pocket is a great time to go to the fridge cuz nothing good is going to come from it.

Makes complete sense.  Run 3 times for 6 yards and punt.  Bring the D that is getting punished right back out on the field.

So what's worse for the team, going three and out and putting the opponent on the 25 again, or throwing a pick and putting them on the 45?  That's not counting the mental breakdown that occurs.Martinez can't pass well.  He can't find open receivers well.  His throwing motion is garbage.  Throw to open the run even when he's already thrown two picks?  If they're stacking the box, how about calling an option?  Maybe even to the long side of the field so you have more room.  Maybe run to the sideline, or a power run, or an option fake.How about something that might confuse them, instead of putting Martinez in the shotgun and hoping he forgets he's Martinez?

You're exactly right.  Throwing an awful pick that no QB at this level should throw is far worse.

I see... so we put in Carnes. And the 6 plays he probably knows by now will surely win the game.Martinez ain't a great QB, I'll agree with you there. But that's all NE has right now, and you're delusional if you think otherwise. You don't throw Carnes to the wolves after 6 months of learning the entire offense.

How did they score so easily? 21 points off of ints. How did we throw ints? Going 3-4 wide and drop-back passing. This game turned when they scored 14 at the end of the 1st half due to picks.

Defense didn't play well, but offense just gave this game on a platter from end of 2nd quarter to beginning of 3rd.

I suggest you review the run/pass mix for 2nd/3rd quarter to refresh your memory.

You're exactly right. Throwing an awful pick that no QB at this level should throw is far worse.

I see... so we put in Carnes. And the 6 plays he probably knows by now will surely win the game.Martinez ain't a great QB, I'll agree with you there. But that's all NE has right now, and you're delusional if you think otherwise. You don't throw Carnes to the wolves after 6 months of learning the entire offense.

Taylor and Carnes have the same knowledge of the offense. If you're referring to the new offense Beck instilled after we let go of Wats, they've both been here the same amount of time.

If you're not referring to a new offense, Taylor's only been here a year longer than Brion.

Since you want to keep it simple, I'll try. I don't believe Beck had much choice in the majority of the situations where we HAD to pass. If we run on 2nd & 15 or 3rd & 18's, the result comes out the same. This thing spun out of control at the end of the first half. 2 minutes left and we go into hurryup to try to get some points. Run the ball and clock runs out-no points. Throw the ball with Martinez and all hell breaks lose. Only time we possibly had a choice was 1st play of 3rd quarter. And you have to be thinking that Wiscy is expecting anything but a pass. So it looks bad in retrospect but only because Taylor throws like a girl (sorry girls). If you really want to blame something, blame the recruiting that left Nebraska without a QB that can throw when he has to. Besdies that, the other team was better. Much, much better. Period.

Becks does have some culpability. He could have rolled him out, play action, anything other than dropping in the pocket. Anytime Taylor drops straight back in the pocket is a great time to go to the fridge cuz nothing good is going to come from it.

Penalties had nothing to do with Beck's decision to go to the air. The first quarter was the blueprint of how to run the offense. Instead he thought he had Payton Manning pulling the trigger. Look, I do not solely or even most fault TM for this debacle. He is who we thought he was. Knowing that........why for the love of God do you ask him to be what he isn't......when the freaking run was already working? This is on BECK.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. The problem I have is at what point do you have no choice but make a change.

I think you have to understand that you are going to have a 'temporary' drop off in an effort to improve the 'long term' outlook of the program.

Didnt read through the whole thread so if this has been said already then my mistake. I honestly thought the d came out and looked inspired and they were flying around. However, T-mart giving them good field position and one mistake crumbled their confidence and it all went away. The defense was playing well at the beginning and they were put into bad positions with their backs against the wall where their inexperience shined through.

This one is equally on Beck and the defense.

The defense played uninspired. Beck gave them no help by calling plays that almost directly resulted in interceptions.

Damn, running the ball was working. Why go away from that. Play to your players' strengths and don't give the defense anything to work with.