i love tmart but hes not a qb.

until Beck and Pelini commit to an offensive style, we will all be frustrated with Tmart. He will never be a good passer. That much is crystal clear. His only chance is to use the pass to surprise or keep the defense honest. If we are going to be a passing team, then they need to start recruiting passers, not runners who can throw a little.

Martinez was a very good QB tonight when we were running a balanced offense (something that the Martinez critics desire so much) in the first quarter. Our problems began when Beck decided to throw the ball on 15 of 17 plays spanning from early in the second quarter to that first play of the second half.

He did throw the ball well early and it was stupid of Beck to suddenly think we were a throwing team. But it still doesn't change the fact that we when did decide to become a throwing team, he was awful. And we're going to see much more of the same coming down road. Teams are going to stack us up up front and make him throw, and more often than not, we are not going to have good results (and yes, I remember Okie ST). Yes, he'll hit the long ball on occasion, though more often than not, he'll turn a sure TD into a long gain by grossly underthrowing his receiver, but just as often we'll see what we did last night. Just not seeing any improvement.

Martinez was a very good QB tonight when we were running a balanced offense (something that the Martinez critics desire so much) in the first quarter. Our problems began when Beck decided to throw the ball on 15 of 17 plays spanning from early in the second quarter to that first play of the second half.

I'm not down on Martinez. I only got to watch 10 minutes of the game ... and it was the part where he threw the three interceptions. Maybe I just saw two of them. Anyway, he made bad reads and then made bad throws. The question I had is why the calls with a 14-13 lead with the game in hand and the half just around the corner. Again, I didn't see any other part of the game, just didn't understand why the game plan wasn't to run, sustain drives and get to the half. Yes, run the offense ... but our offense isn't "give the ball to Martinez and make throws". I'll put this loss and play calling, bad reads and bad throws and not simply on Martinez. Is he a QB ... yes, cause he is our QB ... but I have never believed he was a true QB. You get this sort of thing with this kind of player, that's why you put him into good situations to throw the ball ... that is where he was failed by the coaching ... then he botched it up with the reads and throws. If he learns from it ... it will be okay. I still have us losing three more games, so I'm not worried ... it's all the "undefeated" and "championship" or "conference championship" people that will have the problem. By the way, my score of the game was 24-45 ... and I'm not a "hater" ... maybe I'm more "realistic" then even I thought.

I truly believe that with TM as our starting QB, we will be consistently a eight or nine win team, beating most of the teams we should, but falling short in the bigger games against the more quality opponents. He is not the QB who will turn close game against a good team into our favor, just too many mistakes. Is or could Carnes or Turner be the answer, how will we ever know? Sometimes kids are just special when they get on the field under the lights, they are just game performers. Who knows, maybe neither one of them can play a lick, but why not sit TM a series or two when he's struggling, give him time to calm down and get his head together, and take a look at one of the others.

But if we're content to win eight and go to a lesser bowl this year and the nex two, cotinue on....

• Fire 1

This is all on beck imho. Want martinez to be a good qb? He can't throw the ball that much. Any number of great husker qbs would have struggled with that much passing last night.

Russell didn't struggle, and I wouldn't say he is GREAT QB.

Why is it so hard to admit that Martinez is not meant to be a QB? We threw because guys were OPEN.

Badger fan here. My one-game sample's view of TMart:

• I think he is a dangerous runner (both designed and scrambling) and also a darn good ball distributor in both the traditional option and those quick-hitter, glorified long-handoff passes to the wideouts.

• He is a darn accurate passer when the first read is open. And this mythology of a poor throwing motion I think was not on display last night -- I've seen much worse.

• To me, the poorest aspect of TMart last night was happy feet. He started panicking and scrambling -- usually into the teeth of the defense -- when the pressure hadn't really gotten that heavy. I believe the Badger defensive coaches decided to only rush 3 or 4 the entire second half because they recognized this. That should be a coachable deficiency, but maybe you guys know better -- has he always been this way? Is he even coached to do that because of his running ability?

Anyway, I think you guys have the talent to put this one game behind you, learn from it, and move forward -- you'll have some tussles ahead of you, but I think you are still the favorite to win your division. Kill Brutus!

• Fire 2

• I think he is a dangerous runner (both designed and scrambling) and also a darn good ball distributor in both the traditional option and those quick-hitter, glorified long-handoff passes to the wideouts.

• He is a darn accurate passer when the first read is open. And this mythology of a poor throwing motion I think was not on display last night -- I've seen much worse.

• To me, the poorest aspect of TMart last night was happy feet. He started panicking and scrambling -- usually into the teeth of the defense -- when the pressure hadn't really gotten that heavy. I believe the Badger defensive coaches decided to only rush 3 or 4 the entire second half because they recognized this. That should be a coachable deficiency, but maybe you guys know better -- has he always been this way? Is he even coached to do that because of his running ability?

Anyway, I think you guys have the talent to put this one game behind you, learn from it, and move forward -- you'll have some tussles ahead of you, but I think you are still the favorite to win your division. Kill Brutus!

That was something the announcers caught onto as well. He's been this way for a long time. When he starts to feel pressure, he tries to rely on his feet to much. Several times, he had Rex open where he could have dumped the ball off for a short gain instead of a loss.

This is all on beck imho. Want martinez to be a good qb? He can't throw the ball that much. Any number of great husker qbs would have struggled with that much passing last night.

Russell didn't struggle, and I wouldn't say he is GREAT QB.

Why is it so hard to admit that Martinez is not meant to be a QB? We threw because guys were OPEN.

Yeah and Martinez missed them because he can't throw that well consistently. I can spend the next several minutes telling you how many great college quarterbacks probably should have played another position, or won't be playing on Sundays, yet they were still good college quarterbacks. Why? Because they had good games called for them and the gameplan played to their strengths.

And as far Martinez v. Wilson - comparing these two in the passing game is just ridiculous. Wilson is clearly a better passer than Martinez will probably ever be. Does that mean Martinez is a bad quarterback? Not necessarily. It means we need to play to his strengths.

Not to knock Wisconsin, but IMHO they're not as good as the final score suggested last night. If we had called a game plan that played to Martinez' strengths, I think Wisconsin still would have won, but the final score would have been more like 35-31 or something like that. Martinez being asked to play pocket passer last night is why Wisconsin dominated the scoreboard.

Here is a scary quote coming from martinez. When asked about two of his INT's where he rolled out, he talked about not seeing the other side of the field. He said that he has to learn how to throw back across his body. Maybe i didn't hear it correctly.

But to my understanding from a QB standpoint. YOU NEVER THROW THE BALL ACROSS YOUR BODY!

I guess the mental picture im coming up with here is Taylor rolling out to the right side of the field, sees that no one is open on the right and looks left, and without setting his feet, throws the ball across his body to the left side of the field. and vice versa.

If that is how Martinez wants to be a QB, he obviously has no understanding what it means to be one.

I can agree with you on most accept for him being a darn accurate passer, I'll chalk that up to you not seeing enough of his play. He is a very inconsistent passer and rarely accurate. He is much more of a running qb who apparently the coaches hope can make some throws. I can't blame last night totally on taylor because our offense is supposed to be run heavy and we featured wayyyy to much passing last night.