This team needs a leader...

Didn't you hear all the players and coaches during Spring and Fall practice? Martinez has made huge strides and is the team's leader

He certainly showed his leadership and unmistakable poise last night in the heat of adversity. Looks like all that talk during the spring and summer is exactly what we thought it was....talk. Actions speak louder than words and last night Taylor was seemingly nonexistent when he wasn't throwing picks.

He needs someone to show him how to be a leader..... we dont have anyone on the staff to show him how.

Notice when Pelini starts freaking out, the whole team falls apart? Happened at TAMU, OU, Bowl game, now this game. How can you expect your players to controll themselves and their emotions, if their leader cant? Pelini's attitude is a great for a DC, not for a HC. Charlie McBride and Pelini had the same approach (playing bad cop), but there is no TO in this staff to be the good cop (stoic stability, calmness, confidence, etc)...... This is why Pelini will continue to lose some players. There is a time to yell, but also a time to lift a player up. Tell them to keep their chin up, things happen, you will get it next time, pat them on the back........ we never see any of this. I am starting to belive Pelini only knows how to yell.....

I love Pelini, but it was too soon for him to take a HC at a place like Nebraska. I hope he is a fast learner....

• Fire 1
lol Huskerboard should just have an automatic response system for every time the team loses. People say the same exact thing after every loss, no matter what the circumstances are.

Oh? So I guess that means you are of the opinion that this team has leadership?

I don't think that "leadership" was the problem last night. I think the problems were:

Impatient/undisciplined playcalling

Poor decision-making at QB on a couple plays

Undisciplined play from our youth on offense (holding penalties, illegal formations, false starts)

Poor execution all around in the secondary

Poor tackling all around by the defense

lol Huskerboard should just have an automatic response system for every time the team loses. People say the same exact thing after every loss, no matter what the circumstances are.

Oh? So I guess that means you are of the opinion that this team has leadership?

I don't think that "leadership" was the problem last night. I think the problems were:

Impatient/undisciplined playcalling

Poor decision-making at QB on a couple plays

Undisciplined play from our youth on offense (holding penalties, illegal formations, false starts)

Poor execution all around in the secondary

Poor tackling all around by the defense

I don't think that leadership was THE problem last night, but I think it was a problem. We need somebody, other than Pelini, holding these players accountable....this season is starting to feel more and more like the 07 season as we go on.

How do we justify who is and isn't a leader? How do you guys know there isn't someone out there trying to be get everybody rev'd up and ready to go? I think this is an extremely inaccurate way to judge this team.

I'm going to go ahead and be "that guy" who brings up Tom Osborne and his coaching years, but he had tons of games where people questioned his team, the team leadership, etc. I wasn't around in the 70's and early 80's, but my father tells me this is exactly how it's always been to be a Husker fan. I mean come on, Nebraska started out it's fourth season under T.O. with a tie against unranked LSU, and Nebraska was a top 5 team.

I can't even imagine what this board would be like if it were 1993 and Nebraska was coming off it's gazillionth straight loss in a bowl game. Frightening.

I think there are plenty of issues to be dealt with right now, but leadership is not one of them. You can only fire guys up so much. In the end it comes down to what every single game comes down to - putting your players in a position to win and then executing. The coaches didn't put our players in a position to win Saturday, and our execution was abysmal.

As usual, Martinez is the root of all evil.

Pelini is the cause for the loss, no other reason. Pelini selected Beck who called a great game for the first quarter, then decided to change the whole way the game was going. He put Martinez in a no win situation and destroyed what ever confidence the kid had.

That is on the staff, no one else. One interception we could live with, possibly two, but making the kid continue to try and throw the ball was just stupid, and Pelini is in charge of the coach that put him the situation.

Martinez did not allow 48 points. Our defense sucked worse than our offense period.

OK, for those of you that realistically expected us to lose this game.........i am one of those......did we lose this game due to weaknesses you knew existed, before we even took a snap? my answer is hell yes, we lost as i expected, due to all the mistakes i saw left on the field......so, i am not surprised and i think we play a better game against OSU. we were not going to win this game, we were out manned in many ways.