The Latest Quarterback Thread

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you spoke to Brion?

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you were able to even hear a first hand practice report?

I'm sure you think Brion, or any football player for that matter, would be open with a random near middle aged man who approached him randomly with questions. Heck, I'm going to ask a stranger about his 401k tomorrow and expect him to tell me all about it. ;)

First hand practice? That would be within the past week. And you? I don't think you make it to many practices, do you?

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you were able to even hear a first hand practice report?

I'm sure you think Brion, or any football player for that matter, would be open with a random near middle aged man who approached him randomly with questions. Heck, I'm going to ask a stranger about his 401k tomorrow and expect him to tell me all about it. ;)

You won't have to ask, I will tell you that my 401K is doing real good believe it or not. I invested into armchairs before the seasson started and the price of my stocks have skyrocketed in the last 5 weeks, especially in Nebraska. It's kind of weird, but great for me. :lol:

When you throw three interceptions the way Martinez did, you should be benched. They weren't even close. It wasn't like the defenders made an aggressive move or the WRs didn't complete the route or Martinez didn't time it correctly. Those are errors that can be corrected. He threw it right the f#*k to them. The third one, the Wisconsin DB didn't even have to move. He sideslings it like he's Billy the f'ing Kid shooting from his hip. Watching him throw on the run is enough to raise even an adrenaline-junkie's blood pressure. He panics, tries to make a heroic, spectacular move, and ends up eating sh#t 9 times out of 10. He's not even a good runner. The only time he is dangerous is when there is a massive gap you could drive a truck through, and only because he has superior acceleration. He can't dodge, he can't weave, he can't run laterally for sh#t. He needs to be taking screen passes and zooming up the field, not launching sidearmed shitrockets.

If you're going off of this logic, Tom Brady should have been benched two weeks ago against the Bills. Interceptions happen, people. It's just unfortunate that it happened on a night when our defense was getting torched up and down the field.

how about call a game plan that suits your qb's strengths, rather than force your qb into a game plan in which he is destined to fail.

His only strength is straight line running. How do you call a game plan around that? If your QB can't hit the most basic of throws and find the check down routes, then its really hard to game plan at all, and you should start thinking of finding another QB. We have RBs that can run, we need someone that can pass or the box just gets loaded and they play a basic zone waiting for the QB to mess up. A good passing QB that can scramble when needed is what we need. Whether or not Carnes can do that is yet to be seen.

This. OK, well, Taylor has some more strengths than that, including in the passing game. But they seem liable to disappear. If you can't count on them not to, what do you do?

I freely admit Beck did not have a great gameplan and nor did he call a great game. And that Taylor wasn't put in the best position to succeed. But the biggest problem with Taylor struggling is not that Beck isn't allowing him to succeed, it's that Taylor couldn't do this and couldn't do that.

Both parties are culpable, so let's just hope for a better game next week.

No, I think it was stated correctly. His ONLY real strength is his speed, and that is ONLY in a straight line. He is not elusive at all. When anyone get close to him, he panics and runs right into them.

I think it's the option, Joe, judging by some of the fumble/miscues we have had there.

Hunter, I agree. Dealing with guys who aren't that strong as passers is going to be the norm. However, there are different levels of not that strong, and this is a particularly limiting case. Luckily for us, this is also a particularly devastating big-play weapon.

When Taylor is on, he will rip any team in the country a new one. He just needs to be able to stay 'on', and get the confidence that he can do them like he did Oklahoma State.

On the other hand, when Taylor is off, he can go cold against even the worst teams. I think we just need to have the Rexcat ready for when that happens, to hopefully stabilize Taylor and get him back on track again.

I am not saying Brion is the answer

You know who is saying Brion is not the answer? Bo Pelini. And Brion will tell you that, if you ask him. I would invite you to approach him and talk to him - he's very easy to talk to, and he's very personable. He'll tell you who the QB of this team is (here's a hint - he won't tell you it's him).

Next time you see Brion, ask him to tell you how he performs in comparison to Taylor Martinez everyday at practice. Ask him how he performed in comparison to Taylor during the fall scrimmages, especially the final fall scrimmage.

Heck, tell him that you heard he did pretty good against the 1st team D in that final fall scrimmage. I bet you see his face light up, but downplay what happened.

Brion isn't Tommie, who would have been bluntly honest no matter what. Brion especially would never sellout a teammate like that.

Does he call you on the telephone? do you have a dorsal fin?

First hand practice? That would be within the past week. And you? I don't think you make it to many practices, do you?

So I guess you are aware of the DB who rolled his ankle yesterday that has gone unreported in the public press, correct? :)

Or better yet - what's our LB depth chart this week?

C'mon knapp, you really want to do a public measuring contest? Always so defensive when I reply to you. :dunno

This thread is a good indication of why nobody on this board will ever be a coach at the University of Nebraska. The solutions to our problems at QB, as posted on this board, are:

1. Benching the starter in favor of a redshirt freshman against arguably the best defense we'll see this year

2. Retooling Taylor's throwing mechanics mid-season

3. Running the ball and not letting Taylor throw anything beyond 3 yards,

4. Changing offensive systems again and not recruiting running/dual-threat QBs

Does that pretty much cover it?

Furthermore, our diagnosis of our problems at quarterback are wide-ranging, and include:

1. Throwing Mechanics

2. He is a bad leader

3. He has a bad attitude

4. He's not our buddy

5. Decision-Making

6. Fumbles, due to poor ball security

Does that cover that part?

Against Wisconsin, Taylor threw 3 interceptions. That's not good, but it's only 3 plays. All 3 were the result of some sketchy playcalling (IMO), and Taylor forcing some throws that weren't there. That's not the most complex problem to fix - he needs to stop forcing plays downfield and find his check-down receivers. He does that (and just that), and it's a much different ballgame last Saturday against Wisconsin.

However, instead of following Bo's example in not getting too high or too low after a win/loss, and instead of looking at the game in a black and white, level-headed manner and focusing on the little things that each individual has to do to take their game to the next level, our fan base is in the midst of a giant temper tantrum that is doing nothing but stirring instability within the program.

:facepalm:

This thread is a good indication of why nobody on this board will ever be a coach at the University of Nebraska. The solutions to our problems at QB, as posted on this board, are:

1. Benching the starter in favor of a redshirt freshman against arguably the best defense we'll see this year

2. Retooling Taylor's throwing mechanics mid-season

3. Running the ball and not letting Taylor throw anything beyond 3 yards,

4. Changing offensive systems again and not recruiting running/dual-threat QBs

Does that pretty much cover it?

Pretty much.

The internet genius crowd as always has everything figured out. Dump the starting qb for an unproven freshman, dump Bo for another some other Clownahan we can find, dump the "run first" offense to go back to fluffball with pocket qbs who "make their reads" and run like a three toed sloth so once again we can enjoy the endless thrills of 2004 - 2007.

Ho hum.....just another day in HuskerNation.

GBR!!

Pretty much.

The internet genius crowd as always has everything figured out. Dump the starting qb for an unproven freshman,

I'll stop you right there. I totally agree. Yeah, so maybe the starter lights up horrible OOC defenses (dare I say, Sun Belt quality) but he did "nothing" against top competition. Sure maybe we haven't seen the freshman in games yet but I'll take that over three & outs and turnovers.

--

In all seriousness, I do agree, that Bo is in need of some fan support right now and he's earned it from us.

• Fire 1