What do we change on defense.

I have to admit, I've spent so much time on the QB threads discussing issues there that I've really haven't paid much attention to the other side of the ball. I'm curous to hear what others think the major problems are and what the fixes are.

My take:

First of all we miss way too many tackles. It doesn't matter if your scheme has you in the right place if you can't make the play.

Second, why did we stop with the pressure. We got to Wilson a couple of times and at least hurried him on occasion, and those seemed to be the times when he missed.

I understand that when you blitz a QB like Wilson, he is going to break out and make some big plays, but with our secondary, if he has that much time, he's going to pick us apart. I would rather try to force something to happen. When and why did we get away from an aggressive style of defense.

Sorry, I just saw there is another thread just below this one with the same topic, please feel free to deplete this one and I'll join that one.

Who was the guy who got juked out by Wilson on the long run? Sean Fisher I think? He seemed to miss a lot of tackles.

Early on, they seemed to be getting good pressure up the middle, particularly with Crick. I don't know if Wisconsin adapted, or if NU changed things up, but that confused me a little bit.

We've had problems with the defense since week 1. They should've been fixed then. You think Fresno and Washington gashing our defense would have woken people up.

Dude, it's cool. We were trying not to show our hand defensively and played a vanilla defense with barely any blitzes. That's why we gave up so many points. :sarcasm

Enough with the Sanders talk. He was a great coach, but the problem with the secondary is currently the personnel. Even when Marvin was here, it was still Bo's secondary, just like it is today.

Biggest question I have if you want to talk staff changes - why did we not hire Doug Colman? I think Ross Els has yet to prove himself. Although personnel could be an issue there, too, but that is a veteran unit out there.

Enough with the Sanders talk. He was a great coach, but the problem with the secondary is currently the personnel. Even when Marvin was here, it was still Bo's secondary, just like it is today.

Biggest question I have if you want to talk staff changes - why did we not hire Doug Colman? I think Ross Els has yet to prove himself. Although personnel could be an issue there, too, but that is a veteran unit out there.

i think personnel is part of the problem but we arent teaching them to be physical and that falls on the coaching side. being physical is not going to hurt them its going to help and we just arent doing it.

Hopefully we change our starting running back having more tackles than our starting strong side linebacker. That would be a nice start.

Oh man, that is just sad:

.......assisted-unassisted

Burkhead,Rex 2-0

Fisher, Sean 0-1

The biggest problem with the defense is that the LB's basically were AWOL the entire game. The front four did get pressure. They made Wilson do figure eights in the backfield. You can't really depend on 300+ pound DL to outrun a speedy QB. They were there, but they got absolutely zero help from the LB's. It's not like the secondary got any help from the LB's either.