Today's Presser

knapplc

Just watched Martinez's presser. That has to be alarming to fans, even casual ones. I'm a proponent of flushing bad games down the toilet to an extent, but you have to take responsibility and own up to your bad games. His deflection of questions about the game and canned answer of "better decisions" shows a lack of accountability IMO.

You'd have to have seen the context in which he's been shredded by the press and fans around here to have a better understanding of why he answered those questions the way he did. He wasn't joking when he said it didn't matter how he answered the questions, he'd still get ripped for it.

Understatement of the year. The haters are in a frenzy and are ready, able and "very", very willing to rip apart anything he says.

Just like how you ripped apart Zac Lee? Kinda like that....or....

Oh, please don't bring out facts.. Haven't you read this board lately? We don't put much into facts. I was all over supporting Lee, but i was told quite often how dumb that was. Now, I'm sure if I sit here and support Martinez (which I do) I will get told how dumb that is. It's really ridiculous and makes this place unreadable a lot of the time.

There was even an incident in the parking lot after one of the games where some nimrod yelled something at Niles in front of his family, as I recall.

I draw the line at crap like that. When you have to make it personal and straight-up attack the player himself over it, you've gone too far.

Most of what I've seen here so far (What would you rather do than watch Taylor throw, Give Taylor a nickname, etc.) seems fairly tongue-in-cheek to me. It's not flattering obviously, but I don't see it as an intended personal attack on Taylor.

Most of what I've seen here so far (What would you rather do than watch Taylor throw, Give Taylor a nickname, etc.) seems fairly tongue-in-cheek to me. It's not flattering obviously, but I don't see it as an intended personal attack on Taylor.

How would you see it if you were Taylor? Swinging this back around to the original subject of this whole huge sidebar, which was Taylor's boorish behavior at the presser, if you read anything like that about you after a game, how would you react? Would that endear you to the fans?

It's all well and good for some people (not you, Hammerhead) to say that he's supposed to be able to take the grief that comes along with being QB at a high-profile school like Nebraska, but "taking it" doesn't mean allowing it to happen without reaction. He's not a robot, and in the context of some of the S I've seen flung his way, I don't blame him for his statements.

How would you see it if you were Taylor? Swinging this back around to the original subject of this whole huge sidebar, which was Taylor's boorish behavior at the presser, if you read anything like that about you after a game, how would you react? Would that endear you to the fans?

It's all well and good for some people (not you, Hammerhead) to say that he's supposed to be able to take the grief that comes along with being QB at a high-profile school like Nebraska, but "taking it" doesn't mean allowing it to happen without reaction. He's not a robot, and in the context of some of the S I've seen flung his way, I don't blame him for his statements.

I certainly wouldn't like it, but if that was the worst I had to deal with, I'd take it for what it is.

Like I said, I don't blame Taylor for reacting to the presser the way he did, but after his performance on Saturday night, I don't know what else he would expect.

Would you care if people were blaming you because your OC forced you to do things you weren't good at without giving you a chance to actually do what comes natural?

Blaming a QB for throwing terrible passes is as fair as fair can be. Just because he's a running QB doesn't mean he gets let off the hook in the passing department. Tim Beck didn't "force" Taylor to do anything. He called passing plays. It's Taylor's fault that he can't throw the ball with any accuracy. If calling passing plays is unfair to a QB, then clearly he shouldn't be under center. FACT.

snapback.pngPuttinUp6, on 03 October 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

The team is 4-1 this year.....with a loss to a top 5 team....that is all

Fixed that for you.

(And no, I'm not pinning that "-1" entirely on Taylor, either. That one's just as much on the team as the 4 wins.)

-Good Save....i just think if the QB is going to be blamed for the L, then he needs credit for the W as well....IMHO we dont beat Washington or Fresno State without Martinez under center....that being said, no he cant pass....but then again, we have to work with what we got.....we arent alabama or florida....5 star passing QBs arent exactly knocking down our door......

i think the biggest thing is that IF our defense were doing HALF their job (giving up 10-20 points per game), we would be thrilled with Martinez grinding out these W's with his legs.....if we had last years defense, we are at 5-0 and looking to run the table.....

Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie...really, we turn on a lot of players quickly in the heat of the moment, or while simmering after a loss. It's frustration and nobody really means it, but some of that stuff, man...it's hard to read. Not saying any of it has gone on in this thread, haven't read all the posts really. But it makes us look like Philadelphia Eagle fans! We're Husker fans, guys! We s--- class.

Sorry, nothing personal to Eagles fans. I just remember that fanbase being a tough crowd, as an understatement. Read some message boards where everyone was really just ripping into their team, players, and coaches with wild abandon...no hyperbole.

Dick! It's been a rough couple weeks for us, and now you lay THIS on me... :D

Just kidding man. Eagles fans are pretty rough. They ran McNabb right out of town. Looks like it was right about at the same time. With Philly, that we're losing... it's the WAY we're losing. Ronnie Brown trying to throw the ball on the half yard line...? :steam What the hell? Are you kidding me?!

Luckily, I do not have any Eagles boards I frequent like I do Huskerboard. I can only imagine what kind of meltdown they are going through right now. It really is a testament to Huskerboard though... It makes most other boards look like crap.

Now... :backtotopic

He was taking lumps after Tenn-Chatt, Fresno, Washington, and Wyoming. We're 2-2 in those games without him

This is just your opinion. Honestly, I still think we'd be 4-0. Or should be 4-0. It cannot be proven, however.

Who would quarterback us to 4-0?

If Carnes was our QB, we'd still be expecting/expected to win all those games against weaker competition. We'd def. have a diff. game plan than what we do with Martinez, but I think our running back four some would take the offense on their backs, especially Rex. And if Green did not transfer, I think we would have seen him Sat. night after that third interception. Our QB depth is in shambles right now.

I certainly wouldn't like it, but if that was the worst I had to deal with, I'd take it for what it is.

Like I said, I don't blame Taylor for reacting to the presser the way he did, but after his performance on Saturday night, I don't know what else he would expect.

I think your first sentence is easier said than done. None of us exist under that microscope that Taylor's sitting under.

I agree with your second sentence, though. If he expected to be buttered up he's delusional. But I think he's had plenty of other grief than just we're seeing here. The guy takes a lot of grief.

He was taking lumps after Tenn-Chatt, Fresno, Washington, and Wyoming. We're 2-2 in those games without him

This is just your opinion. Honestly, I still think we'd be 4-0. Or should be 4-0. It cannot be proven, however.

Who would quarterback us to 4-0?

If Carnes was our QB, we'd still be expecting/expected to win all those games against weaker competition. We'd def. have a diff. game plan than what we do with Martinez, but I think our running back four some would take the offense on their backs, especially Rex. And if Green did not transfer, I think we would have seen him Sat. night after that third interception. Our QB depth is in shambles right now.

Doubtful. Carnes himself will tell you he's not ready to start. I doubt we outscore Fresno with Carnes, and who knows what we do against Washington with him in there. Likely it's still a win, but that's 3-1, not 4-0.

You are very correct when you say we're in a shambles at QB right now, and when you talk about giving our RB4 the ball more. Those guys are skilled. The more the ball is in their hands the better.

I think your first sentence is easier said than done. None of us exist under that microscope that Taylor's sitting under.

I agree with your second sentence, though. If he expected to be buttered up he's delusional. But I think he's had plenty of other grief than just we're seeing here. The guy takes a lot of grief.

And he deserves it. He's a sports figure. Part of the job description is taking grief when you perform poorly and being able to deal with it. Plenty of NFL players take flak week in and week out without acting snotty in a press conference. If that's what he wants to be, then he needs to learn to deal with the pressure on and off the field. College football isn't all marching bands, fight songs, and cheers no matter what idyllic image we have.

And he deserves it. He's a sports figure. Part of the job description is taking grief when you perform poorly and being able to deal with it. Plenty of NFL players take flak week in and week out without acting snotty in a press conference. If that's what he wants to be, then he needs to learn to deal with the pressure on and off the field. College football isn't all marching bands, fight songs, and cheers no matter what idyllic image we have.

This might come as a shock to you, so you may want to sit down.

Taylor Martinez isn't a pro athlete. He's a college student. He's not earning millions of dollars a year, he's on scholarship. He is dealing with the pressure, he's just doing it in a way that the press doesn't like. I say screw the press.

I will be on the side of the college student 100% of the time in that scenario. The press don't deserve a damned thing from a college student.

• Fire 6