Today's Presser

knapplc

And he deserves it. He's a sports figure. Part of the job description is taking grief when you perform poorly and being able to deal with it. Plenty of NFL players take flak week in and week out without acting snotty in a press conference. If that's what he wants to be, then he needs to learn to deal with the pressure on and off the field. College football isn't all marching bands, fight songs, and cheers no matter what idyllic image we have.

This might come as a shock to you, so you may want to sit down.

Taylor Martinez isn't a pro athlete. He's a college student. He's not earning millions of dollars a year, he's on scholarship. He is dealing with the pressure, he's just doing it in a way that the press doesn't like. I say screw the press.

I will be on the side of the college student 100% of the time in that scenario. The press don't deserve a damned thing from a college student.

Knapplc, Exceptional points....

Im still baffled as to why he thought that would be a great way to behaive at the presser today. The amount of symposiums, classes and teaching he as a student-athlete at Nebraska has had to attend talking about why he's different and how he has to act to the "outside world" are numerous. He had to know this was coming. And he chose to act that way. Even with a year of crap like this under his belt.

That is not to say he's not our QB, he is, by a long shot. Hell, I'm still a believer in him. But today was not a good day for him. Today was something I expected out of Jammall Lord, DeAngelo Evans, or Cory Mckeon, not him. I'm positive he's reprimanded for today. If not by Bo, then by Rex or whomever. In the late 90's Wistom and Peter would have had him running steps until near death.

Finally Bo comes out and say what we have been saying all the time about Taylor. He is trying to win this himself and trying to only make the big plays. He isn't thinking and becoming rushed.

Now I hope he can fix this.

it's up to Beck to fix him.........that is what good coaches do, settle down their qb when needed......

I think they need to let Burkhead do all the player pressers alone from now on. That was very well done. Straight forward, to the point, didn't shy away from anything, dealt with the press really well. If Taylor isn't a press guy, he isn't. It isn't any skin off my nose, and shouldn't be for anyone else in here either. Agree with knapp... I'll side with the player every day of the week over the press. There are class members of the press who won't be pushing for the wrong quote... but unfortunately they're few and far between. Rex impresses me more all the time with not only the player he is, but the person he is.

Sigh....this is who Taylor is. Right or wrong that's his personality. Anyone saying he doesn't care isn't paying attention to the way he plays the game. He would have transferred or quit if he didn't care. The guy probably tries too hard to make plays. You notice how he looks so awkward trying to cover up the ball and slide. The coaches have told him to do this. He wants to play all out.

His personality is a lot like mine used to be. I've had a few more years to mature but for me being very short of words was my way of coping with problems. He did the presser. He didn't want to but he did it. I think fans are reading too much into it much like the Texas A&M incident with Bo.

Bo was given some tough tough questions....even some of those questions I felt came off almost as insulting. "If you were a player and Bo Pelini was your coach, how would you react?" Something along those lines...it seemed like the reporter was trying to get under Bo's skin about how he treats his players. Bo can treat his players as he sees fit. If the players don't like it, they can quit the team. Bo is the HEAD COACH and I bet Bo get's along with the players just fine.

I remember a lot of vitriol directed at Lee. I don't recall who was saying it, but he took a lot of unnecessary criticism during his tenure, too. That was also BS, by the way.

Cody Green took the same flak and hits.

No wonder no one wants to come to Nebraska to be a QB any more.

Definitely Bo's Top 5 presser. I vote that his presser after the Texas A&M loss was the best one.

This thing has gotten out of control. It started last year, and it's continued into this year, even before this game. The fans and the media are simply over the top with the criticism of this one individual. Amazingly, it's gotten better on this board more recently (considering how bad it was during the offseason and at the end of last year). But it's amazing how many posts I see on Facebook from Husker fans absolutely ripping Martinez apart.

Martinez is like the Nebraska version of Britney Spears - he's the celebrity that people love to hate. It's messed up. People are more critical of Martinez and more passionate about Martinez than they are about Obama or the Supreme Court or anything that actually matters. He's just a kid playing football, trying to do his best and he has at least half of an entire state coming down on him as if he's the antichrist. I can't count the number of people I've seen that not only want him benched, but they say he should quit, he should leave the program, the state, etc.

I'm pretty much done talking about Martinez, because there's just nothing else to be said. He has some things he needs to improve on, just like everybody else on the team, and I hope he keeps working his ass off to get better and to prove everybody wrong. If/when he does that, we'll see a giant flood of fans hop back on to the bandwagon, and they'll celebrate his accomplishments like all the greats that came before him, but I can't blame him for hating the fans or the media right now or at any time in the future. This is when the team needs the fans' support more than ever, and at least for Taylor Martinez, there is only a very select few that are in his corner. Pretty sad to see from Husker Nation.

Just curious, were you defending Jamal Lord, Joe Dailey, Zac Lee and Sam Keller like you do Martinez? Those QBs were all criticized highly, also. Especially Jamal Lord and Zac Lee. I don't think Martinez is getting is worse than those guys. Actually, Id say Jamal Lord got it way worse. I wasn't on this board when he started, but from talking to people personally they did not want him as our QB.

This thing has gotten out of control. It started last year, and it's continued into this year, even before this game. The fans and the media are simply over the top with the criticism of this one individual. Amazingly, it's gotten better on this board more recently (considering how bad it was during the offseason and at the end of last year). But it's amazing how many posts I see on Facebook from Husker fans absolutely ripping Martinez apart.

Martinez is like the Nebraska version of Britney Spears - he's the celebrity that people love to hate. It's messed up. People are more critical of Martinez and more passionate about Martinez than they are about Obama or the Supreme Court or anything that actually matters. He's just a kid playing football, trying to do his best and he has at least half of an entire state coming down on him as if he's the antichrist. I can't count the number of people I've seen that not only want him benched,

but they say he should quit, he should leave the program, the state, etc.

I'm pretty much done talking about Martinez, because there's just nothing else to be said. He has some things he needs to improve on, just like everybody else on the team, and I hope he keeps working his ass off to get better and to prove everybody wrong. If/when he does that, we'll see a giant flood of fans hop back on to the bandwagon, and they'll celebrate his accomplishments like all the greats that came before him, but I can't blame him for hating the fans or the media right

now or at any time in the future. This is when the team needs the fans' support more than ever, and at least for Taylor Martinez, there is only a very select few that are in his corner. Pretty sad to see from Husker Nation.

Just curious, were you defending Jamal Lord, Joe Dailey, Zac Lee and Sam Keller like you do Martinez? Those QBs were

all criticized highly, also. Especially Jamal Lord and Zac Lee. I don't think Martinez is getting is worse than those guys. Actually, Id say Jamal Lord got it way worse. I wasn't on this board when he started, but from talking to people personally they did not want him as our QB.

I would say Martinez is on par with the amount of abuse Lord or Frost got pre-Washington game. Might be a little more acute because social media didn't exist and message boards were a shadow of what they are now. The question is, does he perform like Frost, or go in his shell like Lord?

people should not compare t-magic's reaction after the loss to tebow's reaction after his loss. tebow was on the better team when he lost, t-magic was not.

also, i don't like bo saying that the game is behind them. it's not. he should plaster sunday's headlines and the score everywhere and then have a huge banner say "Indianapolis: Redemption". they should think about this game every day.

And he deserves it. He's a sports figure. Part of the job description is taking grief when you perform poorly and being able to deal with it. Plenty of NFL players take flak week in and week out without acting snotty in a press conference. If that's what he wants to be, then he needs to learn to deal with the pressure on and off the field. College football isn't all marching bands, fight songs, and cheers no matter what idyllic image we have.

This might come as a shock to you, so you may want to sit down.

Taylor Martinez isn't a pro athlete. He's a college student. He's not earning millions of dollars a year, he's on scholarship. He is dealing with the pressure, he's just doing it in a way that the press doesn't like. I say screw the press.

I will be on the side of the college student 100% of the time in that scenario. The press don't deserve a damned thing from a college student.

Completely agree! We all have to remember that these are 18-22 year old young men who are still trying to find their way. They are playing a sport that they love, but they are doing it in a fish bowl. Yes, it is a fish bowl that they knew about and signed up for, but nonetheless we must remember that these are college students first, and college athletes second. Sometimes certain people in the media forget this.

Martinez is like the Nebraska version of Britney Spears - he's the celebrity that people love to hate. It's messed up. People are more critical of Martinez and more passionate about Martinez than they are about Obama or the Supreme Court or anything that actually matters. He's just a kid playing football, trying to do his best and he has at least half of an entire state coming down on him as if he's the antichrist. I can't count the number of people I've seen that not only want him benched, but they say he should quit, he should leave the program, the state, etc.

I'm pretty much done talking about Martinez, because there's just nothing else to be said. He has some things he needs to improve on, just like everybody else on the team, and I hope he keeps working his ass off to get better and to prove everybody wrong. If/when he does that, we'll see a giant flood of fans hop back on to the bandwagon, and they'll celebrate his accomplishments like all the greats that came before him, but I can't blame him for hating the fans or the media right now or at any time in the future. This is when the team needs the fans' support more than ever, and at least for Taylor Martinez, there is only a very select few that are in his corner. Pretty sad to see from Husker Nation.

Just curious, were you defending Jamal Lord, Joe Dailey, Zac Lee and Sam Keller like you do Martinez? Those QBs were all criticized highly, also. Especially Jamal Lord and Zac Lee. I don't think Martinez is getting is worse than those guys. Actually, Id say Jamal Lord got it way worse. I wasn't on this board when he started, but from talking to people personally they did not want him as our QB.

I was old enough to watch Lord and Dailey, but I didn't follow message boards or the media like I do now, and social media didn't exist like it does now. It's possible that they took as much heat as Martinez, but I certainly would have defended them as much as Martinez. It's college football, they're kids, they're not paid, and they take too much heat considering they're just trying to play a game and do their best.

The later QBs, Zac Lee and Sam Keller, absolutely did not take as much heat as Martinez is. They took heat, but the hate I see getting thrown towards Martinez occasionally on this board and a LOT on facebook/twitter dwarfs the criticism that came at Zac Lee and Sam Keller.

Anyways, I did defend those guys too.