What's the concensus on Bo in huskerville?

Duffman

You say stark raving lunatic, I say intense. An Iowa fan thinks Bo is over the top, I could care less what any non-NU fan thinks of Bo Pelini.

Exactly!! I hear this all the time from Squawk fan. My answer is always the same. I usually just say "If my team's coach was an emotionless gum chewing statue on the sideline I probably wouldn't like Bo either."

I have all the confidence in the world in Bo. I think the majority of Husker fans feel the same.

I guess it's fair to say we're both content then. Personally I'll take cool and collected, but like I said, I could dig the stark raving lunatic thing too. The important thing is the players like and rally behind a guy, and it seems to be that's the case (from what everyone is saying here).

FWIW it's not fair to call KF emotionless, he's just more prone to getting misty eyed after a big win than he is chewing ass during a loss.

Obviously we are a little biased but its rare that any Iowa fans think Bo as anything other than a stark raving lunatic. Clearly dude's emotional and I get that, but whats the sense around there? Any concern that he's over the top, or that players don't enjoy playing for him? From an outsider it kinda looked like some players have sort of tuned him out.

Personally I think that unlike the NFL college athletes have to enjoy playing for.someone to excel. They don't necessarily have to like the HC all the time but they have to enjoy the experience.

Iowa has a lot of terribly uninformed and obscene fans. I only have my personal experience of living in Iowa city and passing by Kinnick every day. I has talking football to 95% of them. Actually i've found Illinois and Notre Dame fans in Iowa city who are much more reasonable and pleasant to talk to. I'll be right up front though. Gameday in Iowa is a sad second place to Iowa. Even the bars like spo co and airliner and brothers get lined with fair weather fans.

I won't even pretend to understand what you are trying to say here, other than you dislike Iowa fans. It does make sense that Nebraska fan would get more heat from Iowa fans from those two other schools as you don't share a border with them and don't interact with them nearly as much.

Lastly I pretty much dismiss as a fool anyone who tries to make broad generalizations about a fanbase. Outside of a few SEC schools where things get crazy (ROLL DAMN TIDE!) there is little if any difference between the fanbases from different schools. We have our fair share of yahoos as I'm sure you do (in fact judging by the post I'm probably quoting one here).

I don't necessarily think last weekend's implosion falls on Bo. Rather, I think this team still has a few mental hangovers. We were prepared to play. We hung with them for a quarter to quarter and a half. It was just like after something went wrong they started sinking in quicksand. We had some pretty good swagger going early in the season last year. The Texas loss really seemed to deflate the bubble. I really don't know what the coaches need to do to get this team to face adversity head on. The biggest thing missing on this team is leadership. We really don't have anyone on the field busting nuts when players screw up. When Suh graduated, we basically lost our lone leader. I was hoping Burkhead and Crick would grow into the role, but thus far neither really have.

Every player I talk to says they love Bo and he has their best interests at heart.

Felt compelled to respond. I agree with the above statement and I have heard the exact same thing.

I meet Roy Helu last summer at an FCA meeting. He spoke to the youth at an area High School and then on the way back I asked what his opinion of Bo and how he deals with the cursing and such.. He said that Bo is strict but fair and honest. No matter what he has their backs and is willing to go to bat for them if they go to bat for him. That kinda changed my thoughts on Bo because I know how firm Roy is in his beliefs and faith.

I usually just say "If my team's coach was an emotionless gum chewing statue on the sideline I probably wouldn't like Bo either."

Uhm....you do remember a coach named Tom Osborne, right?

I sure do. I can remember him w/ fire, too :) In the heat of the battle I can remember him being VERY intense on the sideline. Not like Bo, but heck, who is?

When the BTN showed a bunch of Husker related programming recently, I remember seeing him pretty fired up toward the defense in the Orange Bowl against Tennessee. Yelling, even.

And also, I love Bo.

boknocksoutstoops.gif

This is the funniest friggin Giff i have ever scene.

I think it was on Andrus Peats interview with Rivals when Todd Sr. said that Junior called home not to long ago and said that he absolutely loves Bo and would run through walls for him. This would be music to my ears if my kid was playing for him.

The only reason he's getting heat right now is because he's trying to replace one of the best defenses Nebraska has seen in a long time. Prince, Gomes, Hagg, Pierre...and that's just from the 2010 squad. He is still trying to get the players to understand the concepts. He's already said he isn't going to (for lack of a better word) dumb down the defense for the players.

One thing that does stand out about Bo is his inability to win the big ones, but I believe someone else we all know was known for that for a while too....

I usually just say "If my team's coach was an emotionless gum chewing statue on the sideline I probably wouldn't like Bo either."

Apparently you and I are thinking of a different coach named Tom Osborne. The one I remember got fired up quite often.

Whats up Duffman?

To my fellow Husker fans,Duff is a pretty cool guy, funny as hell. welcome.

I like bo and his passion, I think that hawk fans like to paint him as a madman because they don't like the huskers. I will say that what happened in madison alarmed me. I hear that the players love him, but last week, it looked like for the first time, they quit on him. That bothered me.

I sure do. I can remember him w/ fire, too :) In the heat of the battle I can remember him being VERY intense on the sideline. Not like Bo, but heck, who is?

When the BTN showed a bunch of Husker related programming recently, I remember seeing him pretty fired up toward the defense in the Orange Bowl against Tennessee. Yelling, even.

And also, I love Bo.

boknocksoutstoops.gif

This is the funniest friggin Giff i have ever scene.

Was this GIF created from Revenge of the Nerds 2? lol

Still..... ....on any other team where the both the offense and the defense aren't performing up to expectations, where penalties and turnovers are a problem, where the team plays skittish in big games and where talented athletes are simply not executing well.... ....you look at the head coach. Taylor Martinez did not lose that game for Nebraska. He's just this year's Shawn Watson. Who was last year's Bill Callahan. And Nebraska fans don't want to admit there might be a top down problem with the guy in charge of motivating every player, supervising every assistant coach and deciding who plays. We're too vested in Bo Pelini not being Bill Callahan so we'll try to blame everyone but the man in charge. Blaming the media for making Bo less of the coach he needs to be? That's a new one on me. And quite a stretch.

Well then maybe we need to start running our program like Miami, Ohio St, and USC. Win some titles, get some conference championships. That way in a few years when it gets discovered that we cheated and were crooked in how we did things the ncaa will flush all that success down the toilet, right after our program.

Look here folks, A lot of fans (not all, not some, and not a few A LOT) are flat out spoiled brats on here just wanting to win. They are so hungry for the 90's again that they are blind to the fact of how clean our program is. Face it people, the 90's are frickin gone. 60 wins in 5 years and 3 NC's in 4. That crap is NEVER happening again. College football is different and that's the way it is. Bo does everything the "right" way. For god's sake, this past summer we admitted to an ncaa infraction that was giving too many books to our players, Really? Bo is one heck of a coach. We are lucky to have him. What he did in less than a year to reinvent the attitude in his first year here was incredible. And I'll tell you what, if people dont get off his ass, he'll be gone, cuz O-State will certainly be looking for a coach in the near future, and if we lose Bo and have to go thru another coaching change after a few years, we're D U N. In other words, if Bo consistently win 9-11 games a year and competes for or is in the mix for conference championships year after year, then that better be good enough, even if we cant get over the hump and get in the dominant national picture like teams like LSU and Bama. People who question Bo's leadership because of this one debacle are stupid. And I mean Barack Obama stupid.

Wasn't talking about a clean program, chief, though I think it's great we have one. I'm talking about on the field performance, which good and decent fans have every right to question.

For a guy whose screen name is Accountability, it's just a tad bizarre not to expect some from the current head coach. At least every bit as much as we ask of Taylor Martinez, Shawn Watson and all the position coaches who get sliced and diced in here.

It's not one debacle, either. It's three seasons of big games where the team comes out tight, fumble prone, penalty riddled and unable to adjust. That's head coach stuff.

Not calling for his head, just saying he's earned a little heat.

Apparently you and I are thinking of a different coach named Tom Osborne. The one I remember got fired up quite often.

No he didn't. We remember him getting fired up because that was pretty big news. It took a lot for Dr. Tom to be visibly upset. Tom Osborne was actually famous for his even-keeled, never riled, gum-chewing demeanor and monotone press conferences.

Of course some people wanted Coach Osborne to be more passionate. But most Nebraska fans claimed to prefer the Osborne way over hotheads like Switzer and Hayes.