Corey Raymond

krc1995

I don't remember why Marvin left, but I don't remember hearing anything about it being because of a disciplinary matter. It seems to me that you would have had to do something pretty egregious to be told to either retire gracefully or be fired.

I agree with zoogies on all accounts. Raymond is the best hire we made this off-season by far. If anything more blame should be put on the linebacking corp and defensive line. Is Carl still coaching the d-line or is it Papuchis now? I can't remember. Either way, a defense has three levels to it - line, linebackers and secondary. This is a very simplistic approach, but when you give up big pass plays it happens for three reasons - the defensive line didn't get pressure, the linebackers didn't break the gaps to force pressure, and the secondary didn't make a play.

Everything starts up front most of the time. Our secondary wouldn't be getting railed so hard right now if we had had better pressure from our line this season.

I don't remember why Marvin left, but I don't remember hearing anything about it being because of a disciplinary matter. It seems to me that you would have had to do something pretty egregious to be told to either retire gracefully or be fired.

That could be, I just heard a lot of people say it was a disciplinary issue, and seem to recall somebody on here saying something to the effect of, "I know why he's really gone". I may have bought into it a little too much.

My neighbor played with Raymond at LSU, and speeks very highly of the guy! He says he is a great coach! He said if Raymond is still at NU, he would like his youngest son to go there! His son is a sophomore, and already getting looks from Texass, LSU, and Oregon!

Damn...well that's a positive!

New conference, new officials, new style of play.

Amukamara, Hagg, Gomes, and an unhealthy Dennard.

Everything you said...plus inexperience/young players.

I have no problems with Raymond at this point due to this being his first year at NU, so I will give him a little time to teach these boys up before I criticize too much.

My problem is with everybody saying the reason the d is pretty poor this year is because of the loss of Hagg, Gomes, and Amukamara. Go back to preseason of 2009. Gomes and Hagg were not even listed on the two-deep, and Prince was a converted tailback, yet Sanders turned all of these guys into All-Conference players. The 2009 D had a little more support (a lot more maybe) at LB and DL, but were those three guys that much more talented than the guys that NU has here now? I find it hard to believe that they are. Sanders took guys with good potential (which NU has now too) and turned them into one of the best secondaries in the nation.

I will give Raymond time to develop his technique and schemes with these guys, but I truly believe that we'd be seeing a different D had Sanders stayed, at least at this point in the season.

Everyone at school put in a good word about him as a player, but no one knew he was coaching anywhere. I have a problem with people defending him as a coach saying he is stressing technique. That's fine for practice, but for games they just got to play with instinct and aggressiveness. I have no idea how different Raymond's practice is from Sanders, but I would be interested in hearing this answered by the players who played from both coaches(C.Osbourne, Dennard). It may be his first year, but it appears to have been a difficult transition.

It's not that the secondary is getting beat, it's how they're being beat. They're not being physical at all at the line. Receivers are being allowed to dance around without having a hand laid on them.

That being said, I'm prepared to be patient with the secondary. And let's not forget that we're in a base 4-3 much of the time, instead of basically being in the dime the entire game like we were in the Big XII.