3 Weeks To Fix The Defense

Basically every starting qb that the Blackshirts have faced end up looking awfully good. I think most of our problems are on the front four and a total lack of a rush or containment. I thought the secondary really held their own last night and should have gotten some coverage sacks.

It appears the DL has no speed to catch mobile QB's. With their starter going out, the fate as sealed.

Here's my two cents for fixing the defense. Leave SJB right were he is. With him and dennard covering one on one, we have improved drastically. Second....I like the new front with Moore being the nose......they had little success running up the middle like Wisconsin. But when moore got hurt, we went back to moving crick and steinkhluer to the middle. We got gashed.....Our de's lose contain way too much. Meredith looks like he is running in quick sand....I would take fisher and put him on the end and tell him to bring it (he's 6'6 for crying out loud and he will be faster than any OT. But he has to tackle first....And one more thing.....start dialing up more blitzes.....We need one more linebacker with speed to help when contain does get broken....Maybe move a safety up to a hybrid/peso position.

Did anyone hear what Matt Millen said Bo told him about the defense? Apparently, Bo said that they have overcoached the defense so much that they are out there thinking instead of making plays. Sounds a lot like the offense last year. <_<

I'm not a coach, but I hope they let the boys have some fun in the next few weeks. You know like play hard in practice and just let the ponies run, so to speak. The quote from Bull Durham " Don't think meat"

If we would make some tackles, this defense could at least be slightly above average. It's so uncharacteristic of a Pelini defense to miss so many tackles.

Oh, and keep SJB where he for the love of god. Seriously, where did he come from. He makes a PBU and and INT in a span of like 5 plays and we've been playing Aaron Green all year? :facepalm:

If we would make some tackles, this defense could at least be slightly above average. It's so uncharacteristic of a Pelini defense to miss so many tackles.

Oh, and keep SJB where he for the love of god. Seriously, where did he come from. He makes a PBU and and INT in a span of like 5 plays and we've been playing Aaron Green all year? :facepalm:

It's Andrew Green. I actually think he's proven to be a better CB than Evans, but at this point both of them need to sit in favor of SJB. That guy has gobs of potential.

They had an entire fall camp, 4 weeks of patsies, and 2 more weeks to get this defense running. They'll continue to improve little by little each week, but I'd say half way into the season what you see is pretty much what you're going to get the remainder of the season. This just isn't a very good squad. Meredith refuses to keep contain, Fish and Compton are slower than heck, Baker and Crick are average at best, the cornerbacks seem to think running stride for stride with a receiver (but two yards behind) is good coverage, and the safeties think it's more fun to take angles and try to catch receivers at the goal line rather than keep them in front at all times. Not much of that is going to change this deep into the season.

And for Pete's sake, can they please use the bye week to do nothing but work on wrapping up, driving, and finishing a tackle. Holy balls.

I'm just glad everyone now thinks the offense is fixed. One half has whitewashed everything.

no, but there are glimpses of improvement, whereas the defense continues to be pushed around way too much, with no consistency whatsoever......i think Bo is flabbergasted as well and not sure what to do with this group.

They had an entire fall camp, 4 weeks of patsies, and 2 more weeks to get this defense running. They'll continue to improve little by little each week, but I'd say half way into the season what you see is pretty much what you're going to get the remainder of the season. This just isn't a very good squad. Meredith refuses to keep contain, Fish and Compton are slower than heck, Baker and Crick are average at best, the cornerbacks seem to think running stride for stride with a receiver (but two yards behind) is good coverage, and the safeties think it's more fun to take angles and try to catch receivers at the goal line rather than keep them in front at all times. Not much of that is going to change this deep into the season.

And for Pete's sake, can they please use the bye week to do nothing but work on wrapping up, driving, and finishing a tackle. Holy balls.

yeah, there isn't a lot to be hopeful about, the personnel has been swapped out a lot and that has not helped either....this may be about as good as it's gonna get this season.......i hope i am wrong.

I'm just glad everyone now thinks the offense is fixed. One half has whitewashed everything.

Well gee, 34 pts vs a top 15 defense can do that sometimes. Imagine that?

It wasnt that they did it. It was how. Ohio St. has problem on offense yes, but their defense is still BCS caliber and in the 4th our guys were literally knocking them all over the field. Rex's run for the lead showed numerous white shirts on the ground. i thought I was watching a Slesinger run against Miami. Dobson needs a raise.

Agreed. This guy is so far under anyone's radar. We are lucky to have this guy.