Barfknecht: Peevish postgame does NU no favors

Peevish article does OWH no favors

I think this is true also, better to just let it fade away. Bye week, maybe things can lighten up a bit, but this stuff just brings it back to the frontpage (pun intended). When we did get the OWH out west, if memory serves me correctly, Barfknect always seemed to me write negatively about the Huskers, didn't he rate the Big XII? It seemed like he frequently took jabs at them, so him chiming in does nothing but make matters worse.

I just read the article's in question here. The Barfnecht article is a bit childish, but he does bring up some very good points in his article. The article by Chatelain is pretty spot on actually and isn't much different then what a lot of fans and Husker Board posters have been saying/posting about Martinez and the couching staff decisions.

I gotta say,that as a coach myself...if someone was criticizing my kids the way that the media has, I would probably react worse than Pelini. I am so sick of the media and their "we're just doing our job" argument. We all have jobs, the difference is that we have ethical guidelines of responsible action. Yes, you CAN ask the question, but should you. Yellow journalism...nothing more.

• Fire 1

But Bo didn't go full retard, again, the press was being pretty invasive and malicious in what they were writing. I would be pretty pissed too if I had been asked constant questions about Taylor this and Taylor that instead of Rex this or David that. When the media starts focusing on one guy, it becomes clear that they have an agenda. And even AFTER the win, AFTER Taylor played a very solid game, Bo was still asked questions about him.

• Fire 2

But Bo didn't go full retard, again, the press was being pretty invasive and malicious in what they were writing. I would be pretty pissed too if I had been asked constant questions about Taylor this and Taylor that instead of Rex this or David that. When the media starts focusing on one guy, it becomes clear that they have an agenda. And even AFTER the win, AFTER Taylor played a very solid game, Bo was still asked questions about him.

Wait . . . what? When the media focuses on one guy . . . WHO HAPPENS TO BE THE STARTING QUARTERBACK AT NEBRASKA . . . they have an agenda?

Good lord. Everyone is out to get us.

He's right though, Bo's got to come around to the realization that he can use them as a way to advance whatever agenda he wants if he got along with them.

The media also needs to realize they aren't the Woodward and Bernstein style romanticized journalists of yesteryear... They are whores for adclicks and pageviews. They spend half the press conference trying to frame responses by asking stupidly leading questions to get a quote they've already predetermined they want to write and that is going to piss anyone with a brain off.

Frankly I cant watch the press conferences anymore, and it's not because of Pelini's reactions to those stupid questions because that's justified... (Although he should make a game out of it, not by giving stupid answers back, but by giving the most bland boring nondescript answers he can think of). I cant watch them because when half the questions get asked I get embarrassed that whoever asked it is a member of the same species.

Frankly Nebraska doesn't need the Omaha World herald anymore (nobody does), nor do they need any of the local news channels. They could simply produce everything they do in house and distribute it online and on NET and cut out the middlemen. The one original piece of information I can remember them reporting in years was the "officials said they were going to screw Nebraska over at aTm to Bo" piece. How did they get that gem? following him around to get a one on one. The only reason it was original is because Bo talked about what was pretty much obvious to anyone that watched that game.

I don't think the media should be writing all puff pieces of course, but their job, despite people like Barfkneckt's delusions of grandeur about it, is actually just to cover the program/sport... They are essentially a PR arm of it, not actual press. Somehow they've gone delusional enough to try to compete with the rumor or fan takes on social media for criticism and page-views. Yet they don't realize that they are covering people and if you attack someone they probably are going to be unhappy about it.

So I guess bottom line is it's a two way street, but the press around here needs Nebraska a whole hell of a lot more then Nebraska needs the "mainstream" press.

The fact of the matter is that, after a win like that, the talk of the program should not be our head coach's press conference. It should be the players and how they performed on the field. Like it or not, the programs image is very important and it's only a matter of time before ESPN catches something like this and spins it to turn Bo and Nebraska football into the immature laughing stock of the Big Ten. I know Bo has this "It's us against the world, everyone is trying to screw my program" mentality, which is great for on the field, but is really hurting us off it.

With that said, the media isn't helping the situation. Some of those questions at the press conference were ridiculous. "Was Martinez motivated to play today?" "Did your defense get extra fired up when Miller got hurt?" Come on. They are trying to get a reaction out of Bo so they can write a story like this. It's just too bad Bo keeps giving it to them.

Taylor Martinez Dirk Chatelain, the talented young quarterback writer who finds himself at the center of controversy, much of it of his own making.

Bo Pelini Lee Barfknecht, the wise old mentor who has his young player's coworker's back.

Who you support in this little drama says a lot about where your loyalties lie.

Knapplc, I don't think who you support in this says anything about your loyalties. You can be 100% loyal to someone and still believe they are wrong. Like I said in an earlier thread, I haven't read anything Dirk has written about the program or Bo, so admittedly I am a little uniformed as to what exactly preceded Saturday night, but...I am extremely loyal to whomever is coaching our team (Callahan and Watson...that was a little tough), but I still think Bo should have taken the high road on this one. Just ignore him and take questions from someone else and move on, then maybe this thing can end, but now it has escalated to a level where it is almost as much of a story as the game itself, and who knows when or how it will end. Already we have another writer jumping in with his opinions, what's next?

That's the crux of the matter.

Too many people here seem to think that being loyal to this team, coaching staff, the players, etc. means making oneself blind to their faults.

Hell, I got in a big argument with someone on Facebook who guaranteed that Bo would be gone by the end of the year. I think Bo's doing a fine job of coaching. That said, I don't always agree with how he handles the media.

I find that those who use the words "tard" or "retard" to be frankly with out a clue. Find another word to use guys and grow up!

It's a movie quote. Not from a particularly good movie . . . but I thought I'd clue you in if you were a bit confused.

And not a very good quote. I once saw a movie where a character yelled "F*** You!". Should I use that for every post or person I disagree with?

A friend of mine has a kid who's autistic and apparently is a target of some name calling. We were talking over beers once and he commented about a poster on a board we both followed who called a lot of people "tard" or "f'tard". He said if he ever met that person they were going to have some words, and if that didn't straighten things out, it was going to get worse. It put a different perspective on it for me.