Urban Mayer singing the praises of ...

T_O_Bull

You know, sometimes it has a lot to do with the coaches and the talent on the roster, more than scheme. I know, mind-blowing.

Solich and Osborne officially ran the same offense.

Yet Osborne and his staff could coach up players, game plan, and set up play calls.

Solich? No, no, and not to save his life....respectively.

We were never an option team. We were Power-Run, Play action. Sure we had option, but it wasn't triple (always a called give to the FB or Keep by the QB down the line). It's all about Jimmies and Joes, though, anyway (and execution, to a certain extent). If you have the horses, and a coach who knows what he's doing (Osborne every year, Pete Carroll '03 - '08, Don James in the 80's and 90's, Lou Holtz at ND, etc), you can score with any offense. From the Flex Option (GT, Air Force) to the Spread (Oregon, Florida, Auburn), to Pro Style (USC, Alabama), Run and Shoot/Air Raid (Texas Tech, SMU), it's about blocking and players making plays.

• Fire 1

We were never an option team. We were Power-Run, Play action. Sure we had option, but it wasn't triple (always a called give to the FB or Keep by the QB down the line). It's all about Jimmies and Joes, though, anyway (and execution, to a certain extent). If you have the horses, and a coach who knows what he's doing (Osborne every year, Pete Carroll '03 - '08, Don James in the 80's and 90's, Lou Holtz at ND, etc), you can score with any offense. From the Flex Option (GT, Air Force) to the Spread (Oregon, Florida, Auburn), to Pro Style (USC, Alabama), Run and Shoot/Air Raid (Texas Tech, SMU), it's about blocking and players making plays.

What???

Well duh, of course we ran lots of other things but the option was a core part of TO's offense.

What???

Well duh, of course we ran lots of other things but the option was a core part of TO's offense.

If anything, the ISO, FB Trap and Counter Sweep were the core plays of our offense, with the option being almost an extension of FB trap. If you watch the '95 Orange vs. Miami, you'll see the counter sweep and FB trap were integral to moving the ball down the field, while the option was more of the 'decoy' play, especially at the end.

• Fire 1

I think what Jeremy is eluding to is that people often say Nebraska was an "option team" under Tom Osborne, which purely just wasn't the case. If we ran 70 plays a game, only 10-20 would be an option play. A true option team would be the Georgia Tech's of the world that line up in flexbone and run an option almost every play.

We were a power run team that utilized the option.

• Fire 2

I guess we're just debating semantics. I've never read even one single poster state TO "only" ran the option so I understand that.

But it was a big part of the offense and was critical for hurting opponents that stacked the box and also produced a lot of big plays. TO's offense wouldn't have been nearly so successful without it.

So how about we ran whatever we ran.

GBR!!

I think GT does well for the players they recruit. So far this year all they have is 3 star recruits, not a single 4 star. They are not a top ten recruiting school and probably never will be but they do very well with what they get. If a top ten or twenty recruiting school were to run this type of offense I believe Urban Meyer is correct and that it would be extremely difficult to defend.

I think GT does well for the players they recruit. So far this year all they have is 3 star recruits, not a single 4 star. They are not a top ten recruiting school and probably never will be but they do very well with what they get. If a top ten or twenty recruiting school were to run this type of offense I believe Urban Meyer is correct and that it would be extremely difficult to defend.

Bingo.

Give GT top 10 to 20 talent & they steamroll people.