Could any program compete with your "All Time" Husker team?

dvdcrr

When putting teams like this together, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to look at how they did play in the NFL? I mean the NFL teams are for the most part supposed to be fairly constant top to bottom in terms of talent. NFL teams are made up of the best of the best. If we're going to make a college team of the greats from each team, it would see that this would be a lot more comparable to the NFL than the actual college game. If we put up an offense against another college team's all time defense, it would seem that an option running QB might not be that attractive.

Actually I don't think that makes sense at all, at least for me. It's an all time college team and I think the whole thought process needs to be kept in the college realm. I like to view these things as if only their college careers and style of play matter. Maybe a little out of necessity since I'm a Husker fan. It's pretty rough to put a power I or option team into a pro setting. I don't consider what they did after they left college. If that was the case then I'd have Roger Craig instead of Mike Rozier, etc. And, Frazier, Crouch, Gill etc. didn't and wouldn't have had stellar pro careers but in a college game, in their type of offense, I prefer them easily over any pure passer you can name. Simply look at their won/loss records, the offense their teams were able to generate, and what they did for their teams and it gets real clear for me. Another example- Peyton Manning. 97 Orange Bowl we make him look an unskilled hack, heck Tenn had to bring in T Martin. But, in the pros it's another story.

(Bonus points for using hack & heck back to back?)

I would say the usual suspects would be able to compete against an All-Awsome Nebraska team:

Round One

USC vs Miami - Winner Miami

LSU vs Ohio State - Winner LSU

Nebraska vs Notre Dame - Winner Nebraska

Alabama vs Oklahoma - Winner Oklahoma

Round Two

Nebraska vs LSU - Winner Nebraska

Miami vs Oklahoma - Winner Oklahoma

Championship Game

Oklahoma vs Nebraska - WINNER of course Nebraska!

When putting teams like this together, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to look at how they did play in the NFL?

Nope. Tommie Frazier is arguably the greatest option quarterback ever; no NFL career. Matt Leinart is one of the greatest pro-style college quarterbacks ever, we're talking ELITE college talent, and has sucked it up in the pros.

Would Matt Leinart have been one of the greatest pro-style QB's had he been facing the best college DB's every single down? A current NFL player basically stated the same thing with regards to Andrew Luck today saying Luck wouldn't be anywhere close to where he is now if he played in the SEC each and every week.

NFL football is not the equivalent of "really really really really good college football". Even if the talent level is the same, the game is played differently. Would Matt Leinart have been one of the greatest pro-style college QB's ever if he had been facing the best college DB's every single down? As long as every other quarterback is competing against the same DB's, yes, Matt Leinart would have been elite in comparison.

I've never understood the appeal of "all-teams". Seem kind of like a pointless exercise to me and that's coming from a guy who does a lot of really pointless things...

It basically is pointless but we've got to talk about something between actual, real life football games. If any of us had anything better to do, I doubt we'd be jabbering about anything on comment boards with people we really don't know. Now just imagine if you could actually field that all everything team- I know you've got the time...

I've never understood the appeal of "all-teams". Seem kind of like a pointless exercise to me and that's coming from a guy who does a lot of really pointless things...

It basically is pointless but we've got to talk about something between actual, real life football games. If any of us had anything better to do, I doubt we'd be jabbering about anything on comment boards with people we really don't know. Now just imagine if you could actually field that all everything team- I know you've got the time...

haha I hear you I guess I don't get into it much because my "All" team wouldn't go back much further than 1990.

If you took the best players from every team, All Star style, we'd lose a game or two. But if you took the best teams from all the teams, our 95 squad would win it all. Crazy team chemistry meshed with crazy athleticism and a violent physical nature, they'd beat anyone. The USC teams last decade and the Alabama teams now wouldn't stand a chance.

jmo

haha I hear you I guess I don't get into it much because my "All" team wouldn't go back much further than 1990.

Just remember it could be worse. Bosie St has there whole all-time team on the field this year.

Would someone just make these teams and simulate it on XBox already? Opponents' rushing avg. vs Wistrom, Glover, Suh, and Peter (Tomich?) - .3yds per carry. We also haven't had an athlete like Johnny the Jet since Johnny the Jet. He could change a game by himself.

IMO 'all-time' covers a lot of ground and you can put together tremendous teams from all the traditional powers. I think it would be a push in most cases.

One thing I found interesting is the coach picks. It would be interesting to see who goes with who between Mcbride/Kiffin/Pelini. I think I'd go with Charlie because I like his defensive style more than the others.

Would someone just make these teams and simulate it on XBox already? Opponents' rushing avg. vs Wistrom, Glover, Suh, and Peter (Tomich?) - .3yds per carry. We also haven't had an athlete like Johnny the Jet since Johnny the Jet. He could change a game by himself.

Didn't they use to do this on the old NCAA games for the original Xbox and PS2? I thought they had past teams (e.g. '95 Huskers) and all-time teams.

Didn't they use to do this on the old NCAA games for the original Xbox and PS2? I thought they had past teams (e.g. '95 Huskers) and all-time teams.

NCAA 2008 for the PS2 is quite inferior to NCAA 2012 for the 360 - I would think someone would need to make sure every player for both teams was accurate in terms of height, weight, ability ratings, etc. It would take some time, but one could probably get a pretty clear picture of what an All-Time Nebraska vs an All-Time USC game would look like, given how specific one can get with the current technology.