Sparty on the road this year

I been hearing from a lot of people the same couple of statements for the game this week. It seem that people feel because of MSU having four consecutive tough games and maybe because they are worn down by Wisconsin size as reasons why the win. I haven't heard to many people say we will win because we will punch them in the mouth. Its like people are hoping for a let down from them in order for us to be successful.

I think the same kind of things can be said for us. We have not looked particularly good at home this season. We may be on a emotionality high thinking we now have it together after dominating a team who's one win was against Miami of OH (who is currently 2 - 6)

Sad that it's come to this, isn't it? Prior to the season I don't think anyone was afraid of them. Look how they got manhandled in their bowl game. Now all the sudden they're a physical team with a tough d. I miss the days when we'd punch them in the mouth as you said on both sides of the ball and have them wishing they didn't play us. If we play mistake-free we will win. If we turn the ball over more than once we're done. Lowered expectations.....

I been hearing from a lot of people the same couple of statements for the game this week. It seem that people feel because of MSU having four consecutive tough games and maybe because they are worn down by Wisconsin size as reasons why the win. I haven't heard to many people say we will win because we will punch them in the mouth. Its like people are hoping for a let down from them in order for us to be successful.

I think the same kind of things can be said for us. We have not looked particularly good at home this season. We may be on a emotionality high thinking we now have it together after dominating a team who's one win was against Miami of OH (who is currently 2 - 6)

Sorry, but I don't think people are on an 'emotional high' because of the Minnesota win. If anything, there were little to no surprises in Minneapolis, which is exactly what we needed.

People are high on this team because they came back and won against an Ohio State team with a Top 20 defense who will revisit the Top 25 by the time December rolls around (they'll likely lose to Wisky, but win out, including against Penn State and Michigan).

People are high on this team because, despite what was originally a sieve for a defense this year, our offense has been shouldering the load by sustaining drives. Sure, the offense isn't perfect (read; passing and red-zone short yardage situations), but it's year one of Beck's system, and we're already seeing a significant improvement over what we had last season.

People are high on this team because it appears we may have found another playmaker in Jean-Baptiste for the secondary, which may finally allow our front seven to start teeing off on defenses.

People are high on this team because the Crick injury is forcing us to rotate more kids on the D-Line, which will only help in future games and next year. Lemonade from lemons and such...

Yes, I think Michigan State can come in and gash us early with the run, and our defense is good to give up at least one big play for a touchdown. But if the blue-hairs stand up and make noise like they did for Ohio State, and if the team follows their strengths and doesn't let a somewhat dirty Michigan State team goad them into mistakes, people are high on Nebraska winning this game, and understandably so.

I agree. I hate pinning my hopes for winning a game on the possible self destruction of the other team. I would feel much better about this game if I had more confidence in the Huskers (particularly the D) and was less dependent on the other team making mistakes or coming in flat. As you say, punching them in the mouth rather than simply being able to not get punched ourselves. Baby steps I guess. However, I am not one to put any stock in our Minnesota game. 41-14 might look sufficient on paper but the only thing that impressed me at all was the 34-0 halftime score. If our 2nd and 3rd teamers can't expand on that lead against Minnie, well I guess we know why our starting 11 are who they are. I have been spoiled growing up on the 70's, 80's, & 90's Huskers. A 44-14 thrashing against Minn almost feels like a loss to me. I know that is jacked up but I can't help it. We have to start controlling and dominating games rather than simply surviving them. If it helps, I am getting more confident in our chances against MSU. I started the week feeling like we'd get beat by 2-3 touchdowns and am now up to about a push. By Saturday I should be fully partaking of the Kool-Aid. We CAN do it, I'm just not convinced we WILL.

Let's really look at it. MSU stinks on the road, they can't run the ball and they have a QB that can't run. Now, people always talk about stacking the box vs NU, this looks like NU could either stack the box or drop 7-8 and let Cousins throw into coverage.

This game is not only set up for NU to win but it is set up for NU to jump up early.

T-mart is playing well, the running game is clicking and lets face it, NU has WR's that are running free all over the place.

Let's really look at it. MSU stinks on the road, they can't run the ball and they have a QB that can't run. Now, people always talk about stacking the box vs NU, this looks like NU could either stack the box or drop 7-8 and let Cousins throw into coverage.

This game is not only set up for NU to win but it is set up for NU to jump up early.

T-mart is playing well, the running game is clicking and lets face it, NU has WR's that are running free all over the place.

Things sure could go our way. Our O line may be able to create some running room but they have shown no signs of being able to get any significant line surge or push on worse defenses than we will face this week. Not that they have to make 25 pancakes. If they can just get a crease opened for Rexy, I think we'll be fine. And, WR's running free all over the place doesn't do us much good if A) Taylor can't get them the ball or B) He does get it to them and they drop it. Weird thing is, I feel like our defense, as bad as it's been, can probably hold their own against Cousins and MSU's sporadic offense. The key to victory will be if our offense can win the battle against a very good defense. Sustained drives, no turnovers, and play calling that takes advantage of what they give us will be important. This game more than any so far will show us Beck's worth and the advancement of our offense as a whole. We need guys to make plays and execute. Hate to sound like Pelini but that really is the key this Saturday.

• Fire 1

I agree. I hate pinning my hopes for winning a game on the possible self destruction of the other team. I would feel much better about this game if I had more confidence in the Huskers (particularly the D) and was less dependent on the other team making mistakes or coming in flat. As you say, punching them in the mouth rather than simply being able to not get punched ourselves. Baby steps I guess. However, I am not one to put any stock in our Minnesota game. 41-14 might look sufficient on paper but the only thing that impressed me at all was the 34-0 halftime score. If our 2nd and 3rd teamers can't expand on that lead against Minnie, well I guess we know why our starting 11 are who they are. I have been spoiled growing up on the 70's, 80's, & 90's Huskers. A 44-14 thrashing against Minn almost feels like a loss to me. I know that is jacked up but I can't help it. We have to start controlling and dominating games rather than simply surviving them. If it helps, I am getting more confident in our chances against MSU. I started the week feeling like we'd get beat by 2-3 touchdowns and am now up to about a push. By Saturday I should be fully partaking of the Kool-Aid. We CAN do it, I'm just not convinced we WILL.

The point of this was not that we need them to have a let down. It was just to show that they appear to not play as well on the road. This is a fact. I feel this game is very similar to Mizzu coming to town last year. Will the outcome be the same? I let you know Sat afternoon but until then I'm just saying there are reasons to be positive about this showdown. Earlier people were just sure Wiscy wouldn't lose a game, well guess what? They've lost one and I think will lose again before the B10 season is over. MSU is no different. If Notre Dame can beat them at home then you better damn well think the Huskers can do the same.

As far as lowered expectations, I disagree. If you were ignorant enough to think we'd waltz into a new conference, play a new team every week and go undefeated then you are a fool. I'd say sitting at 6-1 with a home game to get a huge inside track at winning the division is a pretty good place to be. This team has show signs of growth, and a desire to win in the most dire of situations.

Mark my words, the fate of all B10 teams this year is far from determined. You should know this if you've watched college football for more than one season.

You guys are pretty much on the money. Get pressure on Cousins and he's cooked. Not only that he is a classic over thinker and puts tremendous pressure upon himself. Plus the running game has struggled a bit this season...mostly early on and I think it is due to inexperienced line issues. Some of that may have been corrected. Baker ran for 160+ yards against Michigan and Bell averaged 5.4 a carry against Wisky. Cousins was arguably the best QB in the Big 10 (Dan Persa) last season for a reason though. He can be (is) deadly accurate if he is settled and things are clicking. The ND game we were all kinds of hot trash. They were also clearly pumped up after the loss to Michigan.

I find it hard to believe we can come into Lincoln after the 3 game emotional high we have been on and win. If our team had themselves together like we had hoped this season, maybe. With that said, I think they can also give you everything you ask for. I've read quite a bit about the Alabama game, and our arrogant rival to the southeast loves to bring that up while dismissing their worst loss in bowl history to Mississippi St. However, Bama was clearly the best team in the country last season although they pulled a classic year after NC hangover. Not to mention our stubborn coaches played right into their hands. Don't get me wrong...it would have only been 1 td closer at best. Last season we were just a good team to almost very good. Definitely not great and by no means elite. But we have turned the corner and our last two games are much more indicative of what you should be facing rather than the first 4. Gholston returns for this game too (no punches or twisting of helmets either!!)

With no let down in performance I think this is going to be a great game with it going the Huskers way. Just as long as it isn't like the shellackings of 95 & 96. What is the deal with a noon (11am) start? Can't the Huskers command a 3:30 game anymore? Kidding, kidding!! At least it's national on ESPN. Maybe that is better.

Good luck Saturday. I'll be the guy in the State stuff with the beer and brats if anyone is looking. Ha!

• Fire 1

I think we will see a very focused Cousins. Back in August there was an article about how much he was looking forward to playing against the Blackshirts. People laughed that he was overlooking his schedule and would be lucky to limp into Lincoln above .500. I have seen nothing from him thus far this season that will tell me he isn't ready to go. In the last couple of years its seems the more confident I am in what we will do to a team the more certain it ends up going in an opposite direction.

What Big 10 team has looked very good playing on the road? Wisconsin has only played two road games with one being Northern Illinois, and they are 1-1 on the road. Michigan is 1-1 on the road. Illinois is 1-1 on the road. I'm not saying we win this game because it's at home, but there really hasn't been any Big 10 teams that play exceptionally well on the road.

What Big 10 team has looked very good playing on the road? Wisconsin has only played two road games with one being Northern Illinois, and they are 1-1 on the road. Michigan is 1-1 on the road. Illinois is 1-1 on the road. I'm not saying we win this game because it's at home, but there really hasn't been any Big 10 teams that play exceptionally well on the road.

Penn State is 2-0 (@Indiana & NW). But they finish on the road against tOSU then Wisconsin. Where they'll get crushed.

Yep.

They stack the box for Tmart/Rex we'll have open wrs everywhere. Just like when we had Frost, Frazier & Crouch we'll kill them with PA, toss sweeps to the edge & misdirection runs. Also, break the LOS on a stacked box and you're.....gone.

GBR!!

You guys are pretty much on the money. Get pressure on Cousins and he's cooked. Not only that he is a classic over thinker and puts tremendous pressure upon himself. Plus the running game has struggled a bit this season...mostly early on and I think it is due to inexperienced line issues. Some of that may have been corrected. Baker ran for 160+ yards against Michigan and Bell averaged 5.4 a carry against Wisky. Cousins was arguably the best QB in the Big 10 (Dan Persa) last season for a reason though. He can be (is) deadly accurate if he is settled and things are clicking. The ND game we were all kinds of hot trash. They were also clearly pumped up after the loss to Michigan.

I find it hard to believe we can come into Lincoln after the 3 game emotional high we have been on and win. If our team had themselves together like we had hoped this season, maybe. With that said, I think they can also give you everything you ask for. I've read quite a bit about the Alabama game, and our arrogant rival to the southeast loves to bring that up while dismissing their worst loss in bowl history to Mississippi St. However, Bama was clearly the best team in the country last season although they pulled a classic year after NC hangover. Not to mention our stubborn coaches played right into their hands. Don't get me wrong...it would have only been 1 td closer at best. Last season we were just a good team to almost very good. Definitely not great and by no means elite. But we have turned the corner and our last two games are much more indicative of what you should be facing rather than the first 4. Gholston returns for this game too (no punches or twisting of helmets either!!)

With no let down in performance I think this is going to be a great game with it going the Huskers way. Just as long as it isn't like the shellackings of 95 & 96. What is the deal with a noon (11am) start? Can't the Huskers command a 3:30 game anymore? Kidding, kidding!! At least it's national on ESPN. Maybe that is better.

Good luck Saturday. I'll be the guy in the State stuff with the beer and brats if anyone is looking. Ha!

Welcome to the board! I hope you're right when you say it will be a great game with it going the Huskers way. Should be a great game as long as we can limit our turnovers.

Nebraska is unfamiliar to these 11am kickoffs. Doesn't leave a lot of time for pre-gaming!

Good luck,

GO BIG RED!

The point of this was not that we need them to have a let down. It was just to show that they appear to not play as well on the road. This is a fact. I feel this game is very similar to Mizzu coming to town last year. Will the outcome be the same? I let you know Sat afternoon but until then I'm just saying there are reasons to be positive about this showdown. Earlier people were just sure Wiscy wouldn't lose a game, well guess what? They've lost one and I think will lose again before the B10 season is over. MSU is no different. If Notre Dame can beat them at home then you better damn well think the Huskers can do the same.

As far as lowered expectations, I disagree. If you were ignorant enough to think we'd waltz into a new conference, play a new team every week and go undefeated then you are a fool. I'd say sitting at 6-1 with a home game to get a huge inside track at winning the division is a pretty good place to be. This team has show signs of growth, and a desire to win in the most dire of situations.

Mark my words, the fate of all B10 teams this year is far from determined. You should know this if you've watched college football for more than one season.

I never thought we'd waltz into the B1G in 2011 and claim a title the first year. However, I have this problem of expecting greatness out of the Huskers. I went to UNL 81-85 (the scoring explosion/triplets time frame), I remember the game of the century against Oklahoma, and attended my first Orange Bowl in 1997. Needless to say I was not a happy Nebraska camper from the time Solich got fired until the day they hired Pelini. The return to dominance that I long for will probably never happen but don't call me an idiot because I'm not satisfied with slow improvement. 14 to 41 years ago had we waltzed into the Big 10, we would have expected, and rightly so, to win it first year and most every year thereafter. It bothers me that I have to worry about winning a game against MSU at home. In a way I am envious of the younger people on here who can take pride in anything that has happened for the Huskers in the 2000's. I realize I am somewhat living in the past and unfortunately I have expectations based on greater things than most on here have ever experienced first hand. I don't like parity. I don't like finishing second. I don't accept 3 loss seasons and am not very fond of 2 loss seasons. I long for the days when we'd take what we wanted and weren't concerned in the least where the game was played or how the other team might perform. I know what I want is probably unrealistic but hopefully you can understand the perspective from which I look at these things and that my heart is in the right place.

• Fire 2

Things sure could go our way. Our O line may be able to create some running room but they have shown no signs of being able to get any significant line surge or push on worse defenses than we will face this week. Not that they have to make 25 pancakes. If they can just get a crease opened for Rexy, I think we'll be fine. And, WR's running free all over the place doesn't do us much good if A) Taylor can't get them the ball or B) He does get it to them and they drop it. Weird thing is, I feel like our defense, as bad as it's been, can probably hold their own against Cousins and MSU's sporadic offense. The key to victory will be if our offense can win the battle against a very good defense. Sustained drives, no turnovers, and play calling that takes advantage of what they give us will be important. This game more than any so far will show us Beck's worth and the advancement of our offense as a whole. We need guys to make plays and execute. Hate to sound like Pelini but that really is the key this Saturday.

I don't agree with your assessment of the O-line, not when they are in the top 10 in rushing and the ypc is pretty high. We saw them control a salty OSU line. Have they had some short drives, yes but every O has them. Heck Wisconsin had several against us, I think people have selective memory sometimes.