Martinez comments fuel fire Saturday

True2tRA

Comments made by Martinez.

Martinez said that high winds — and not the Michigan State defense — slowed down Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson in the Spartans’ 28-14 win. He also said MSU is just “another good defense that we face.” MSU ranks second nationally in total defense (222.9 yards allowed per game) and first in Big Ten rushing defense (88.9 per game).

“We play football how we play football, no matter what the weather is,” MSU defensive tackle Jerel Worthy said. “We go out in the rain, sleet, snow or sun.

“Hopefully there’s no wind so he can make no excuses when we go out there and do our thing.”

Looks like Worthy will get his wish. The National Weather Service forecast for game time in Lincoln, Neb., is sunny with a high of 61 and 8- to 10-m.p.h. winds.

Some confidence shown by the Husker QB. I like it. This team is definitely a confident bunch and they should be. This makes the game Saturday a bit more interesting though for sure.

Comments made by Martinez.

Martinez said that high winds — and not the Michigan State defense — slowed down Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson in the Spartans’ 28-14 win. He also said MSU is just “another good defense that we face.” MSU ranks second nationally in total defense (222.9 yards allowed per game) and first in Big Ten rushing defense (88.9 per game).

“We play football how we play football, no matter what the weather is,” MSU defensive tackle Jerel Worthy said. “We go out in the rain, sleet, snow or sun.

“Hopefully there’s no wind so he can make no excuses when we go out there and do our thing.”

Looks like Worthy will get his wish. The National Weather Service forecast for game time in Lincoln, Neb., is sunny with a high of 61 and 8- to 10-m.p.h. winds.

Some confidence shown by the Husker QB. I like it. This team is definitely a confident bunch and they should be. This makes the game Saturday a bit more interesting though for sure.

Yeah, because that shock the world comment worked out so well for us. I'd rather the players just shut up for once and let their play do the talking. Talk after the game, not before it.

• Fire 1

Looks like Taylor is trying to give my Spartans some extra incentive if it wasn't there already. Surprised to hear comments like this before such an important game. GO GREEN!!

Then I am sure what Nichol's said in his interview(with B1G Network) about Wisky more than likely being the team they'd see again in the Conference championship, and another Sparty player telling Wilson after the game see him in December(caught by on field camera and audio) is plastered in NU's lockerroom.

For the record I think this is all garbage, and if one needs quotes from an opposing player to "get up" for a game like this, they are stupid.

Also for the record, anything that Taylor mutters at a presser is ho hum amongst Husker fans. He has had some zingers, and the shock factor is over.

You guys never listen to the context that question was asked and it is not even printed right. Watch the stupid conference, he was not calling out the defense in the comment, he said it was extremely hard for anyone to throw in the wind that day. The shock the world comment was also taken out of context, he said while laughing because it was a joking comment in sarcasm because it would not have been shocking the world. Please research more before you post you. Second if that is considered trash talk none of you have ever played meaningful football, there is no real trash talk anymore. We used to have players say way better stuff. If Michigan State needs some stupid comment to pump them up then so be it, bunch of dirty playing *&$(#&(*#. Please guys you need to listen to the whole conversation before you put some stupid analysis on here, it makes it look like you don't care. "There just another good defense" he means he thinks their good! Freaking turds

• Fire 1

This is really weak bulletin board material, but the MSU coaches just reached to find something they could try to rally their team around to pin the focus on their next game. Martinez didn't mean to disparage the MSU defense as much as he wanted to portray confidence.

Martinez just has a weird way of answering questions and dealing with the media. I heard that comment and didn't think a thing of it... it was typical Taylor.

Last time I checked Denard Robinson can't throw the ball whether it's windy out or not, the key to the Michigan game was Denard couldn't get his average 200 yards a game on the ground. So for Taylor to being saying things that it was the defense who shut Denard down is a bit absurd. I do agree with you Crewe and Blank that absolutely no extra motivation should be needed for a game like this.

• Fire 1

You guys never listen to the context that question was asked and it is not even printed right. Watch the stupid conference, he was not calling out the defense in the comment, he said it was extremely hard for anyone to throw in the wind that day. The shock the world comment was also taken out of context, he said while laughing because it was a joking comment in sarcasm because it would not have been shocking the world. Please research more before you post you. Second if that is considered trash talk none of you have ever played meaningful football, there is no real trash talk anymore. We used to have players say way better stuff. If Michigan State needs some stupid comment to pump them up then so be it, bunch of dirty playing *&$(#&(*#. Please guys you need to listen to the whole conversation before you put some stupid analysis on here, it makes it look like you don't care. "There just another good defense" he means he thinks their good! Freaking turds

Here's a link to the story KingBlank. You seem pretty upset......maybe cool down and read this article and take what you want from it. http://www.freep.com/article/20111026/SPORTS07/110260380/Nebraska-QB-Wind-not-Michigan-State-slowed-Denard-Robinson

Fact is though KingBlank, your little nancy pantsy rant there doesn't change the fact that clearly the Michigan State defensive lineman took it as a bit of an insult. So your point really has no bearing here at all. Like the OP says, the comment added a bit of fuel to the fire.....from Worthy's comments, you can see he has taken notice.

By the way, you people who think Bulletin Board material is weak and pathetic......Every single Nebraska team in the 90's used different things like this to get pumped. I have tapes of almost every game in the 90's, including the National Championship teams in which some of these comments are referenced. Teams at every level do things like this. No, they don't need it to get get jacked. You strap on the pads and helmet with an "N" on the side, run out to 88 thousand screaming fans and tell me you aren't jacked. Obviously they don't need it, but it brings an extra level of focus and a certain determination. Usually a determination of planting the loudmouth into the dirt repeatedly. I think this game will be a fine example.