Fact of the Day

Excel

Fact of the day 28 October 2011:

In the last 5 years of CFB the home team has won roughly 60% of games played in the last week of October, furthermore since 1900 NU has won 69% of games played on the 29th day of October and 73% of those games when the contest takes place in Lincoln.

Please don't ask me how I did this, I'm very good in excel and it would take me longer to explain it than it did to figure it out. Once you get handy in excel and understand how to use formulas its easy. All together this took less than 10 minutes.

Good god, seems like we're due for something bad to happen.............

Something bad has already happened BRI. It was arter 250+ yard game against Michigaan State that LP had a fateful encounter with his girl friend at the Snow Man's apartment.

How are the Boys doin?

T_O_B

G>B>R

Who are you rooting for tomorrow, Badgerfan? Do you have a dog in this fight or do you just want to see a good game?

Good question, I think some of my first posts when I joined a few weeks ago have kind of been lost in the sauce but I used to really root for you guys in Big XII play, the Huskers were my team. I was no diehard, I hate the term "band wagon" but that may be accurate. I couldn't hold a candle to you guys in "fanitude" because the Badgers were always first, but I liked to have teams in different conferences to kind of pull for.

The expansion has definitely tempered my feelings to NU simply because they now compete with UW and I have to pull for my Badgers above all others but hey if the game doesn't involve us I'm going to pull for the Huskers nine times out of ten. That may change if a rivalry develops (like I expect) but until then Go Huskers! Beat MSU!

Good answer BF. Glad to have fans like you to spar with over College Football. The best game on Earth. I don't say it often but I used to pull for Oklahoma in some of their non-conference games.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Funny, I was never an OU but never really "hated" OU either. Respect I guess. Now Texas on the otherhand, if they never won another game that would be one too many.

Took yesterday off due to the games but gearing up for Northwestern.

Fact of the day 30 October 2011:

Nebraska is 3-1 against Northwestern all time with the combined score of those games being 134-43. Nebraska has never won in Evanston (the last meeting being 80 years ago). The two teams last met in the 2000 Alamo Bowl where the Huskers rolled to a 49 point victory. But who is the original NU?

This question takes a little pondering of history...sources seem pretty clear about Nebraska having started playing football in 1890 but when did Northwestern begin playing? This is difficult to answer, football was played on campus as early as 1881 with early proto-football (read mutated rugby) being played in the 1870's.

An important thing to remember is that many of these games were not really intercollegiate and often were played against social clubs, alumni groups or just between students of the same school. Keeping that in mind when we examine the histories of the two schools we should look at when they began playing teams in a manner similar to today, as in teams from other universities...not the High School, Fire Department or local Elks Club. From what I can tell Northwestern was the first to play such a game against Notre Dame in 1889 but Nebraska wasn't far behind when in 1891 it defeated Doane College. So...Northwestern was the first to play football but who deserves the "NU"?

Nebraska clearly has had better success on the field, but as institutions go Northwestern was founded 18 years before UNL. What about the teams themselves, when did they start using the moniker? That's harder to tell and would probably take the efforts of a professional historian, or at least one more committed than I. In lieu of actual evidence why don't we just let it be decided on the field. Knapplc had a good idea for a trophy/rivalry game built on this premise.

Anyhow, here's some fun, can you match the team to the picture? Should be pretty easy except for one...

1903team.jpgFlippen.gifpotdoozer.jpgbugeatersphoto.jpgbugeatersnebraska.jpg?width=207&height=126

Fact: As of now I think the huskers win ............. GBR MSN poor on the road against an Offense that had more than a QB who can run out of the backfield.

Me too. While all others may discount them, something tells me that we are going to win this game. GO B1G RED!!!!

AND I WAS RIGHT!!! Whooo Hoooo!!!

Nebraska featured "NU" on their helmets in 1967.

1967-68.JPG

Northwestern first featured "NU" on their helmet in 1968.

h1968_1976.gif

Helmet history is one thing but its not much to go off of, Northwestern played +10 seasons with the NU logo, Nebraska only played 3.

Northwestern also uses "NU" to refer to the university in a wide range of contexts..seems to me that Nebraska uses it largely in reference to the football team.